The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think he's heading to Ottawa or Florida. If Ottawa, we probably get a package involving Formenton, because Dorion is stupid. With Florida, maybe we target Denis Malgin, and a pick. Right now though, we could use some centre depth coming back. 

Can't see Ottawa having any interest.  They're the 3rd worst team in the league.  Playoffs this season are a pipe dream.  No est they move a top prospect for a pending UFA.  

54 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Can't see Ottawa having any interest.  They're the 3rd worst team in the league.  Playoffs this season are a pipe dream.  No est they move a top prospect for a pending UFA.  

And Florida is tied for 5th worst in the NHL with us, so it doesn't make sense for them either. They could just save their assets and sign him for free in the summer. 

If Guddy is going to be traded, it won't be to a bottom feeder. 

10 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

And Florida is tied for 5th worst in the NHL with us, so it doesn't make sense for them either. They could just save their assets and sign him for free in the summer. 

If Guddy is going to be traded, it won't be to a bottom feeder. 

At the same stage, he's a bottom pairing guy on one of the bottom 6 teams in the league - does he improve a contender?

26 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

At the same stage, he's a bottom pairing guy on one of the bottom 6 teams in the league - does he improve a contender?

In a 7 game playoff series his value goes through the roof. As for being a "bottom pairing guy" he has averaged 18 minutes per game during his career, this without any powerplay time to speak of. Those are not "bottom pairing" minutes.

VANCOUVER – Nineteen months after his blockbuster trade from the Florida PanthersErik Gudbransonadmits he’s still trying to be the player he was before major surgery scuttled his first season with the Vancouver Canucks.

But now in his second — and possibly last — season with the Canucks and just back from another injury, the defenceman has grown in other ways. He says he is stronger mentally, has learned to block out all the extraneous noise that comes with playing hockey in Canada.

The 25-year-old former third-overall draft pick deals publicly and privately with constant trade speculation, a product of looming unrestricted free agency and Gudbranson’s failure so far to play well enough in Vancouver to command from the Canucks a long-term contract for significantly more than this season’s $3.5 million salary.

At least, Gudbranson had the NHL Christmas break to escape the trade questions and just hang out home in Ottawa for a few days with family and friends.

“No, I was hearing it from them, too,” Gudbranson said Wednesday after the Canucks practised for Thursday night’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks. “Everybody else is more concerned about it than I am. I’d be lying to you if I told you it hasn’t crossed my mind. Everybody thinks about their future. Everybody does. To a certain extent in our business, it’s out of your hands (so) I try not to think about it. This is a great room to be part of.

“That’s the best part of what we get to do; we’re with a bunch of buddies every single day and play a game for a living. There’s a business side to it. But once you get inside the dressing room, that’s what it comes down to.”

The only thaw occurring in Canada on Thursday is the NHL’s holiday roster freeze.

Top-pairing defenceman Chris Tanevpractised Wednesday and appears ready to return from a groin injury, which gives the Canucks eight healthy defencemen.

Third-year player Ben Hutton, 24, was scratched by coach Travis Green for two games before Christmas. It appears sophomore Canuck Troy Stecher, 23, could sit out against the Blackhawks.

Scratching young defencemen still developing at the NHL level, generally, helps neither them nor the team if it continues for long. So if the Vancouver blue line remains healthy, someone’s probably getting traded and Gudbranson is the logical choice.

But it’s not a certainty. Canuck general manager Jim Benning, who spent 2014 first-rounder Jared McCann and a 33rd pick in the 2016 draft to acquire Gudbranson from the Panthers, can’t afford to give away his asset.

Will the trade market get stronger nearer the Feb. 26 trade deadline? And, for all the analytics skewering of Gudbranson (Corsi-for of 43.4 per cent), might he still find a home with the Canucks who are rather short of six-foot-five defencemen who don’t apologize for body contact?

This is a huge decision for Benning, who also is without a contract beyond this season but would like another.

“I’m comfortable having two guys sit out,” Green said. “The guys who are sitting out aren’t going to be happy; that’s the way it is. We’ve got depth. Certain guys have played themselves into a position to play more. We’ve talked about internal competition from the beginning, and I think we have that on the back end.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/healthy-canucks-defence-signal-end-gudbranson/sn-amp/

4 minutes ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

Apparantly a Gubranson trade is imminent to a team in the Atlantic division. Don't know how credible this is. 

Where did you hear this? Apparently a poster said he removed canucks#44 from his Twitter as well.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎27 at 11:27 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Tryamkins rights are worth so little in value that it just makes more sense to hold onto him and hope he comes back. What if we trade his rights and he comes back a couple years later? Find out we gave a top 4 away for nothing. I’m okay with holding onto Tryamkin and he doesn’t come back but I’d be devastated if we just tossed his rights in to sweeten a trade and then he comes back.

If you trade his rights, you have not given him away for nothing.

36 minutes ago, gurn said:

Depends on how many picks and where they are, and  then on who JB actually picks doesn't it?

I feel like I might be the only one that doesn’t see teams forking over first rounders for a player that bolted to Russia after being in Canada for less than a year. Sure he might come back but it’s all uncertainties at the moment. I just can’t see teams offering up the value in which I’d put to Tryamkins name. I’d rather hold his rights until I knew he won’t come back to Vancouver before I sold him discounted way too early.

29 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

I don’t know what were trying to accomplish by trading guddy... he’s had bad luck with injuries since we got him but our best hockey this season was with him in the lineup.

oh well... hopefully we get something good back.

I think it has something to do with analytics. I certainly hope not though. 

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I feel like I might be the only one that doesn’t see teams forking over first rounders for a player that bolted to Russia after being in Canada for less than a year. Sure he might come back but it’s all uncertainties at the moment. I just can’t see teams offering up the value in which I’d put to Tryamkins name. I’d rather hold his rights until I knew he won’t come back to Vancouver before I sold him discounted way too early.

You are not the only one, Tram is not worth a first and probably not a 2nd at least imo. However until,  or if, a deal is done it is all just spec.

Archived