The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Anthony Duclair requests trade

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

What would that accomplish?

Same size, position, age and potential. It would be a side ways trade. We have been developing Goldy, makes no sense to randomly stop now. 

It's a project for project trade that makes sense. Goldobin has more skill and could potentially boost their offense, while Duclair is more gritty that can fit into a middle 6 role for us if he doesn't pan out to be a top 6 guy. We have Pettersson and Dahlen coming in soon to look for top 6 jobs and I see Goldobin being expendable very soon.

8 minutes ago, Yotes said:

baertschi

nilsson

for

duclair

minnesota 2nd round pick

Gives us a cheaper top 6 potential lw. Baer is going to command how much? is he worth it?

We save some cap space by moving Nilsson.

I would then try to move Edler to Detroit for Mrazek and the higher of the 2 2nd round picks they have.

Mrazek is a decent goalie imo, fresh start for him and he could push Marky more so than Nilsson has of late. Mrazek is only 25 and has a decent amount of nhl experience.

This also allows Demko to continue developing and groom him down in Utica.

Plus we would have 3 2nd round picks, so good chance we could trade back into the 1st round again for the right player if they were to fall

Nilsson was traded last year for a 5th round pick and his numbers are even worse this year.....he basically has almost no trade value right now.

So, it's basically Baer for Duclair and a 2nd, which ain't gonna happen.

46 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LE for Duclair with Vancouver adding another prospect piece is not out of the question as they need some veteran presence, have oodles of CAP space and they did great in getting Radim back on board and LE could be their veteran presence they are missing so badly.   The other piece could be someone like Holm or similar - a pretty much "NHL ready" body that they have as an asset as well.   

^^this would be nice 

7 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Nilsson was traded last year for a 5th round pick and his numbers are even worse this year.....he basically has almost no trade value right now.

So, it's basically Baer for Duclair and a 2nd, which ain't gonna happen.

likely not but nilsson gives them another goalie option, better than wedgewood. Duclair's value is also not that high imo.

Baer would be hard to give up, I would be real curious as to if they have approached the canucks about an extension or what kind of $ amount he is after. He is the 3rd wheel on that line when healthy.

I would rather move Baer for a good young D, but Arizona needs offence so Baer fits that bill

1 hour ago, Cramarossa said:

I think he meant more along the lines of they need to win some/any games at all now before they complwtely implode. Not playoff-style winning, but the moral victory. 

Yep, pretty much.  They don’t want or need futures or prospects.  They just need to start winning more games.

They need to start trading away some of their valuable younger assets for experienced and in their prime guys.  They need to start aiming for mediocrity and a few playoff appearances even if they aren’t close to a Cup a contender... that sounds weird, but they are in franchise survival mode.

it is at a point where they are just circling the drain indefinitely.  Players will bleed off as fast as they can draft new ones.

That is why a Baertschi for Duclair makes more sense for them than getting a Virtanen or a pick.  Still young enough to have good prime years in front of him, but can start producing the moment he hits the lineup.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Something tells me Chayka doesn't have the stones that Yzerman did to hold out with Drouin and wait for the best possible deal. I bet a lot of GMs are smelling blood. 

When a GM is drowning...................throw him an anchor  lol

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, pretty much.  They don’t want or need futures or prospects.  They just need to start winning more games.

They need to start trading away some of their valuable younger assets for experienced and in their prime guys.  They need to start aiming for mediocrity and a few playoff appearances even if they aren’t close to a Cup a contender... that sounds weird, but they are in franchise survival mode.

it is at a point where they are just circling the drain indefinitely.  Players will bleed off as fast as they can draft new ones.

That is why a Baertschi for Duclair makes more sense for them than getting a Virtanen or a pick.  Still young enough to have good prime years in front of him, but can start producing the moment he hits the lineup.

Same for the Canucks no.  Horvat is UFA in 5 years - how many years can the team skip the playoffs before he says they wasted my best years and I am testing free agency.  OEL's agent says he likes the team but at some point you can't continue to lose. Tavares same situation.  What's the point of developing players and then moving them once they start holding their own.  It's just playing Sisyphus.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Same for the Canucks no.  Horvat is UFA in 5 years - how many years can the team skip the playoffs before he says they wasted my best years and I am testing free agency.  OEL's agent says he likes the team but at some point you can't continue to lose. Tavares same situation.  What's the point of developing players and then moving them once they start holding their own.  It's just playing Sisyphus.

The situation is pretty different I think.

We aren’t that far removed from when we were a playoff powerhouse, and although it seems like we have been floundering forever, we haven’t missed the playoffs that many times.  You are right that we can’t keep doing it forever, but we have this season and maybe one more of a grace period before things get dire.  We had better be a playoff team by the time Boeser comes off his ELC so we don’t have to overpay.

We are also in the position of being able to spend to the cap and bringing in pieces (which we have done).

If we get a top prospect again this year and add some extra picks/prospects by the deadline, we have a pretty solid pipeline for 2-5 years.

That means we have sufficient cheap ELC talent coming through and cap space that we can aim for the top UFAs over the next couple off-seasons to climb back to getting regular playoff appearances and even some longer playoff runs when all goes right.

For us, spending money on middle of the roster guys like Baertschi ($4.0million?) doesn’t make a lot of sense as those are the types of guys most of our prospects are.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

You've basically described what Arizona has been doing since forever. 

Havnt really seen Duclair play in awhile.  I know he is a good sktater, but comparing him to Goldobin or Baertschi how does he fare skill wise or physically?  They are all roughly about the same, although Baer has chemistry with B&B.   I remember him not being an overly physical player either.  Probably has to be in the top 6 to be effective, same as Baer or Goldobin. I dont he was a PK'r in ARZ either?

Hard to say if he's worth it.  If management see him as a better fit in their top 9 over Goldy then maybe I could see them going after him or maybe taking the spot of a vet if they got traded elsewhere, but that would leave a lot of young kids in the line up too.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

The situation is pretty different I think.

We aren’t that far removed from when we were a playoff powerhouse, and although it seems like we have been floundering forever, we haven’t missed the playoffs that many times.  You are right that we can’t keep doing it forever, but we have this season and maybe one more of a grace period before things get dire.  We had better be a playoff team by the time Boeser comes off his ELC so we don’t have to overpay.

We are also in the position of being able to spend to the cap and bringing in pieces (which we have done).

If we get a top prospect again this year and add some extra picks/prospects by the deadline, we have a pretty solid pipeline for 2-5 years.

That means we have sufficient cheap ELC talent coming through and cap space that we can aim for the top UFAs over the next couple off-seasons to climb back to getting regular playoff appearances and even some longer playoff runs when all goes right.

For us, spending money on middle of the roster guys like Baertschi ($4.0million?) doesn’t make a lot of sense as those are the types of guys most of our prospects are.

His numbers has him as solid 2nd liner.  He has the same production as Horvat at 5v5.  He was even top-40 in 5v5 goals.  

I keep on reading that he wouldn't be a top-6 on a contender.  There were only two teams last season that had 6 forwards with better numbers than him at 5v5 - Washington and Minnesota.  Toronto too but in more games played - if it's by points/game they wouldn't have 6.  The difference is powerplay and situations in which he barely played under WD, empty nets, extra attacker, OT.    

Archived