The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dowd=Megma=Vey

kingofsurrey

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Haha

Mccann has more goals this year than all 4 of  your boys  Sutter, Gaunce, Goldobin   and Kaput  all combined......

and Mccaan is still  21 yrs old.   Kid still may very well be a  1 or  2  centre.  Your crew... not likely. 

Nice try. 

what a dumb comment.

Comparing him to an injured player, a pair of AHL callups....and a 4th line shutdown center.  He's not a shutdown forward though - and Goldobin and McCann are both projecting in the 25-30 pt / 82 game range - clearly you're deluded if you believe McCann would be a difference.

Is that supposed to qualify his indisposable value?  LOL.  McCann's production makes Dorsett look like a relative sniper.

Bottom six production, but not a bottom six type player. 

thanks for making my point for me.

McCann would have made literally no difference - this team would be exactly where it is with, or without him.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

what a dumb comment.

Comparing him to an injured player, a pair of AHL callups....and a 4th line shutdown center.  He's not a shutdown forward though - and Goldobin and McCann are both projecting in the 25-30 pt / 82 game range - clearly you're deluded if you believe McCann would be a difference.

Is that supposed to qualify his indisposable value?  LOL.  McCann's production makes Dorsett look like a relative sniper.

McCann would have made literally no difference - this team would be exactly where it is with, or without him.

Mccann would be a future 1/2 c for club.  

Instead we have a 5/6 d man in gudbranson 

If u are too dumb to see his potential.      Oh well 

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

One could say the same about you missing Gudbranson’s potential...

14 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

thanks for being from the future.

but you have no idea what McCann 'would be'.

I'll take my chances on Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, Sutter - and wouldn't move any of them for McCann - ainec.

Why are so many people down on Dowd?  With the obliteration of our center position through injuries he was brought here as a stop gap and is put on the ice for one main reason - faceoffs.  On most nights he can hold is own on d zone draws. On most nights he looks like the only guy that can push back if the game gets physical.  This move is meant to hold down the fort until Horvat/Sutter come back.  The fact that he was traded for a D that is not very good at playing D in the AHL is a bonus.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Dowd on a line with Sutter, that could actually be a nice fit for a shut down pair. Granny Sutter and Dowd might be able to match up with a lot of good lines. 

I think the same.  There is not fair for calculation of his point/games for Dowd during this period.

I see he is solid, toughness, and able to win face-off.

27 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Why are so many people down on Dowd?  With the obliteration of our center position through injuries he was brought here as a stop gap and is put on the ice for one main reason - faceoffs.  On most nights he can hold is own on d zone draws. On most nights he looks like the only guy that can push back if the game gets physical.  This move is meant to hold down the fort until Horvat/Sutter come back.  The fact that he was traded for a D that is not very good at playing D in the AHL is a bonus.

Mouth breathers only care about point production. Winning faceoffs, back checking, making smart plays and earning a coaches trust for excelling at these duties is not sexy to a person who forgot their nose is also for breathing.

30 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

I think the same.  There is not fair for calculation of his point/games for Dowd during this period.

I see he is solid, toughness, and able to win face-off.

he's not as scrappy as Dorsett but if he can help shut down top lines working with Sutter that would be great 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's not as scrappy as Dorsett but if he can help shut down top lines working with Sutter that would be great 

Canucks seem to have alot of forwards  that fans think are shutdown defensively...

Maybe Canucks need a few more forwards that can actually put the puck in the net.  Last time i checked  teams need a few goals most games if they want to get the W. 

17 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks seem to have alot of forwards  that fans think are shutdown defensively...

Maybe Canucks need a few more forwards that can actually put the puck in the net.  Last time i checked  teams need a few goals most games if they want to get the W. 

yah maybe. But that still wasn't what Dowd was brought in for, and its lame to rag on him for it. 

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yah maybe. But that still wasn't what Dowd was brought in for, and its lame to rag on him for it. 

I would never rag on Dowd.  I can appreciate what he brings.

My point in the thread was to criticize our clubs ability to draft and develop centres .

Seems like over the years the Canucks really haven't done a great job of drafting centres....  

I don't have a problem with the job Dowd has done on the 4th.  He is basically another Gaunce though....   and i happen to like what Gaunce brings as well.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

My point in the thread was to criticize our clubs ability to draft and develop centres .

Seems like over the years the Canucks really haven't done a great job of drafting centres....  

I don't have a problem with the job Dowd has done on the 4th.  He is basically another Gaunce though....   and i happen to like what Gaunce brings as well.

imo he's more physical than Gaunce but with no Sutter we need all the defensive help we can get 

22 hours ago, oldnews said:

what a dumb comment.

Nobody is arguing about how McCann would have changed this years results...

I am suggesting that McCann is projected to be a top 6 forward  / centre.

He is 5 goals in a third of a season this year as a 21 year old.

Hank Sedin had 8 goals in a season as a 22 year old...

McCann is not done developing and we don't know what he will develop into....

I think we know what Guddy is.

That deal may still really bite our club in the rear.   At our clubs spot right now in the rebuild cycle..... getting a   5-6 D man like guddy made no sense. 

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Always personally saw Mccann as a 3c.  Didn't like the trade at the time eventhough I understood why exactly they made it but would still always rather have C depth on the team.

Ontopic: I like Dowd, he is what he is.  A 4th line center whos being playing as a 3C because of 2 major injuries.  Megna couldnt do diddly squat, dude was a piss poor version of Mason Raymond, worked hard, skated good but god awful outside of that.  Dowd is a center who can actually win faceoffs fairly decent, considering we are notorious for being piss poor these days.

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Through much of the Nonis and Gillis era, our drafting sucked, period. Very few good players were discovered, even in the first round. While I get what you are saying (and somewhat agree with you) on our situation with centers, this is going to change very quickly in the next couple of years and it has nothing to do with Dowd or McCann

Since Benning has taken over, it looks like that center depth might not be much of an issue soon enough. Both Pettersson and Gaudette are centers and look like they could have a much greater impact than McCann every could have been. Time will obviously determine if that happens or not, but considering one is in the top 5 scoring in the SHL (as a 19 year old) and the other is the top scorer in the NCAA, would I really have to explain why there's a lot of potential there? lol

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Through much of the Nonis and Gillis era, our drafting sucked, period. Very few good players were discovered, even in the first round. While I get what you are saying (and somewhat agree with you) on our situation with centers, this is going to change very quickly in the next couple of years and it has nothing to do with Dowd or McCann

Since Benning has taken over, it looks like that center depth might not be much of an issue soon enough. Both Pettersson and Gaudette are centers and look like they could have a much greater impact than McCann every could have been. Time will obviously determine if that happens or not, but considering one is in the top 5 scoring in the SHL (as a 19 year old) and the other is the top scorer in the NCAA, would I really have to explain why there's a lot of potential there? lol

Great post. Agreed. 

Interesting to see where Mccann gets to though..  Way too early to know what he ends up at. McCann is 22 year old centre....

I truly hope that the more recent canuck drafts can be homeruns. We most certainly need it. 

It's interesting to see McCann's name resurface, so I took a quick stroll through some Panthers' sites looking for references to McCann and Gudbranson.

Some believe that the Panthers haven't replaced the toughness and leadership which Gudbranson brought to their team, and that the Panthers didn't get enough of a return for Gudbranson.

Some believe that the Panthers got a steal of a deal getting McCann. Others expressed (mock) surprise that McCann was still on their team, while still others pointed out that he has been a scratch for the last couple of games, replaced by guys like Vrbata and McGinn (didn't notice if McCann has an injury issue).

There is also talk about the Panthers re-acquiring Gudbranson. Some do not want him back (which seems to be a minority, but I could be wrong), while most of the debate seems to revolve around just how little they would have to pay up to get Gudbranson back... and then these threads mostly dissolved into ridiculous trade suggestions involving various Panther underachievers and low picks for Tanev.

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great post. Agreed. 

Interesting to see where Mccann gets to though..  Way too early to know what he ends up at. McCann is 22 year old centre....

I truly hope that the more recent canuck drafts can be homeruns. We most certainly need it. 

I have doubts that McCann will make it in Florida. They have Barkov (22 yrs old), Bjugstad (25 yrs old), and  Trochek (24 yrs old), listed as centers, all of whom have played more games than McCann. They also have Malgin (20 yrs old), who has played fewer games than McCann but has equaled his goal output. The Panthers also have Borgstrom (2016 pick) who has committed to college hockey in the pipeline, but could come out sooner (but ina nay event he is a few years away). 

If McCann is going to make it, he had better get started, whether he is on the wing or at center.

regards,  G.

Archived