The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] If Pierre-Luc Dubois slid down to #5, PK Subban would be a Vancouver Canuck

pluralsight

I would have rather kept Dubois. 

No thanks to PK, not on a rebuilding team with lots of kids. PK needs to be on a team with strong leadership who can tell him to shut up once in a while. Otherwise it's all about PK all the time. That's why players, coaching and mgmt didn't want him in MTL. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I prefer us signing Loui Ericsson to trading perfectly good young assets for a premium player.

Yes I know Loui has not lived up to expectations.

The point is, at least we kept our young asset in whatever form!

Louie is helping this rebuild, good character vet who plays a 200 foot game and has been so poor offensively that he serves as a daily reminder that you need to draft and develop well

5 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

PK is a great player you build your defense core around, but unfortunately he would be in his 30s before we can legitimately contend. To me, this is a blessing in disguise.

The fact that fans could see this and not this management team makes my stomach hurt.

Subban would be a complete waste on this team through his prime, being in his 30's and in decline while the Canucks are back on the upswing.

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

I doubt it would have been 1 for 1. 

Friedman in his 30 thoughts back in June 2016 speculated - Tanev + 5th + Horvat.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-trading-p-k-subban-realistic-possibility/

A deal involving Subban may not be realistic, but it’s going to be discussed — intensely. [...]

Picking fourth and fifth are the Edmonton Oilers and the Canucks, both of whom would be very interested in Subban. Vancouver GM Jim Benning admitted as much on Thursday. His best offer would include Bo Horvat, Chris Tanev and the fifth overall selection. There is some debate about Benning’s willingness to include Horvat, but he may not be able to get this done without doing so.

The biggest question for Bergevin would be, is that enough? Can you sell that trade even if it brings you Dubois? 

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Well, Toronto gave up 3 draft picks for that single talent, two of which were top 10 picks.

This was one-for-one.

I'm confident that Benning would have found a player almost as good as Pettersson with a later pick (eg: Eeli Tolvanen).

1 ownership group that would push for this kind of trade would mean that more trading futures for now would ensue

Toronto continually bankrolled high priced free agents and traded consistent futures over a period of 5 years before finally realizing what a mistake it was.

Anyone who seriously thinks for a moment that an ownership group pushing a management team to pursue these kinds of actions would not result in trading more youth for vets, large number trades for semi premium returns is blind.

Subban comes in at his $9+ million to go with 2 aging Sedins with top line partners Hansen/Burrows 2 years ago.  Who leaves to ensure we're under the cap?  Who do we not trade?  What picks would we retain?  Fighting to compete for dollars at the gate ensures only 1 thing.

Failure on the ice over time.

we have LITERALLY seen this as a club happen once or twice a decade since their inception.  We mortgage the future to give the current core another chance.  Just 1 more chance, before trying to strip it down, accumulating one or two years worth of decent prospects and then do it all again 5 to 7 years later.

To what success?

We dodged a bullet here my man, that's my opinion.  As by the time we were ready to compete 7-9 years after this trade would be made.  We'd have no Subban, missed 3-5 years of rebuild time via lost futures to push the slight window open a smidgen more in a division with McDavid and whatever other 1st overall picks Edmonton might net and that Calgary blueline as well as of course Anaheim and San Jose in a conference now pushed by the Nashvilles, Winnipegs and Dallas' of the west.

And this is ONLY assuming that Montreal asked for a 1-1 trade.  The likelihood is that they'd have asked for a prospect as well, the most likely individual on that end is Boeser. as at that point he was the only prospect we had that was any kind of intriguing because Montreal even under Bergevin wasn't going to give up their Norris calibre stud for a simple pick/prospect.

Again my opinion only but we dodged a huge bullet here as for the first time in club history we're actually rebuilding the way we should

Call me crazy, but I'm really glad PLD went to Columbus. I'd rather PLD a Canuck, but if we were to have traded that pick away for Subban I woulda been soooo pi**ed off.

Mostly because I don't like the way PK plays. His flashy crap would be great if he didn't pull it in the neutral zone as the last man back. He's selfish and acts like a big deal yet has failed to prove he deserves to carry the ego / on ice persona he does.

His contributions to charity and off ice work is notable and admirable. I applaud him for what gives to the communities he's played and plays for for. But he's about the last guy I would've wanted as our 2016 first round pick.

Losing in the lottery may have been a blessing in disguise. Would have been the wrong direction to go for sure. Jeez. So glad. Counting blessings.

ya i heard this on team 1040 but honestly pk would of never waivered to be here...first the canucks aren't a contending team... second we treated his brother like crap... never gave him a real shot....i know they said it would of been close but pk would of had to waiver to come here.....

Archived