The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

I really don't mind the trade at all. Would've liked a pick but anyone saying we should've just kept Vanek instead is delusional. Nine goals in 17 games this year for Cleveland isn't a huge sample size but Goldobin has 9 in 28 at the same age... granted, Goldobin has way more assists and is a playmaker first but Motte clearly has a scoring touch which he showcased in college. Only one back of his goal total from last year, coming off a 15.5% shooting percentage and averaging over three shots per game.

Really a no-risk trade, if he can provide a better bottom six option in the NHL than a guy like Dowd its a win in my opinion. Should provide Utica some good depth in their playoff run, although they'll miss Holm for sure.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Interesting player to have in the system.

I believe there's more to his game than his stats show, maybe not offensively, but there seems to be some potential there for a good third liner with a bit of chippiness to his game. He's not a tall dude, but looking at his weight he is pretty stocky.

He ranked 2nd in the NCAA in blocked shots, which is crazy for a forward. Also ranked 2nd in goals that year, and was a finalist for the Hobey Baker.
I think he provides depth to Utica for a playoff run, and remains waiver exempt for next year. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Hopefully we're smart enough to not play him 16 more games this season

Unless we get an injury I would assume Leipsic is the Vanek replacement on the roster.

Motte will get games, when he does I think Dowd will be the player that will sit.

So here is hoping our F stay healthy!

Motte...is he a more well round Reid Boucher?

In other words, Motte has some skill offensively but is a better skater and more reliable and could be a PK player in the future, so better suited to be a bottom 6 nhl player with versatility VS a 1 dimensional scorer like Boucher