The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

23 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

This is a cumulative corsi for his entire career. And yeah I do hope he finds success. Otherwise we basically gave Vanek away for nothing.

Which is exactly how much was used to get Vanek.   Nothing ventured.....

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

Missed opportunity though :/

Opportunity for what?   There was no market for Vanek so your team got the best deal they could and took a flyer on a former NCAA star who has speed and grit.   If he works out, free prospect.   If he doesn't, there was no other trade available for Vanek apparently so isn't trying something better than trying nothing?   Further, Vanek was a nice fit here and may decide to come back on another one-year deal which would not be a bad thing from many perspectives.

Struggling a bit to see  your point here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Vanek was a nice fit here and may decide to come back on another one-year deal which would not be a bad thing from many perspectives.

Vanek did well here, but he is getting older and the league seems to be getting faster every year.

All he cost was money and then his expiring contract  got Motte and Jokinen.  Both positive steps, well done JB.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Vanek did well here, but he is getting older and the league seems to be getting faster every year.

All he cost was money and then his expiring contract  got Motte and Jokinen.  Both positive steps, well done JB.

Will need a few wily vets next year.   Agreed he is not fleet a foot but he sure had nice PP chemistry with Boeser.

15 hours ago, cripplereh said:

far as Motte we need an upgrade to a player or two

Baer,Granlund,motte,Gaunce, if we can get a two for one deal and get an upgrade think we will be fine with other youngsters coming up

2 for 1 is a pipe dream. More like something of almost the same value plus something you don't want to give away. ( 2 rd pick or high end prospect)

16 hours ago, cripplereh said:

far as Motte we need an upgrade to a player or two

Baer,Granlund,motte,Gaunce, if we can get a two for one deal and get an upgrade think we will be fine with other youngsters coming up

I'd love us to get picks for the 2019 draft for these guys!!!!  The draft is at home, so having extra picks would make being there more exciting.

22 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I don't know guys. Corsi be damned. The kid can play. He has looked great with Sutter and Archibald. Getting all the heavy assignments. You're gonna get hemmed in your own zone when facing the top player in the league. But when I watch him hound and fore check players it reminds me of a mini version of Hansen. No quit, always going hard. His offense is not great, but I do think we got a great defensively minded energy player on our hands. Can you honestly say that watching Motte you have gotten the sense that he doesn't belong? I don't care what metric you measure him by, he is effective and very useful.

Jeff Veillette is one of the worst at Canucksarmy, HE LOVES his stats. And considers them gold. Why go and post something like that on twitter? Douche! He did the same for Dorsett, slagged him for his Corsi, and Sutter as well. Then Dorsett is forced to retire due to injury and Canucksarmy writes a piece about how great a guy he was and how much of a warrior he was. Friggin Bi-polar website. I used to read it all the time. They used to not be so full of themselves.

This and this.

I'm not sure what people were expecting for Vanek but a young, defensively sound puck hound with as yet untapped upside (that may or may not emerge) is nothing to sneeze at.

And it's blatantly obvious Canucks Army either doesn't have a clue about advanced stats in relation to defensive roles or is willfully obtuse about them from their previous smear jobs of valuable players like Sutter, Dors, Gudbranson etc.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

This and this.

I'm not sure what people were expecting for Vanek but a young, defensively sound puck hound with as yet untapped upside (that may or may not emerge) is nothing to sneeze at.

And it's blatantly obvious Canucks Army either doesn't have a clue about advanced stats in relation to defensive roles or is willfully obtuse about them from their previous smear jobs of valuable players like Sutter, Dors, Gudbranson etc.

"#anypick>player"

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'd love us to get picks for the 2019 draft for these guys!!!!  The draft is at home, so having extra picks would make being there more exciting.

Picks are hard to get in deals over past few years.   Only teams like Calgary giving them away like Halloween treats.   Teams are not moving high end picks unless they are getting a, at least seemingly in their mind, a top line forward or a top pairing Dman.   Canucks do not have any extra of those lying around presently.

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

This and this.

Stopped reading their drivel when they not only displayed zero hockey knowledge but took their criticism into personal territory with a few players.   These guys seem very lonely and in need of something in their lives as the internet simply does not seem to be cutting it for them.

• Haha 1

On 01/04/2018 at 5:15 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

This is a cumulative corsi for his entire career. And yeah I do hope he finds success. Otherwise we basically gave Vanek away for nothing.

Vanek is a ufa could resign him for next year.

On 01/04/2018 at 5:15 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, magicman12 said:

Vanek is a ufa could resign him for next year.

Some Playstation kids with their stats get testy when you remind them the game is not played on the computer.  Pointing out logic to them confuses them into saying dumb things.   Your great response will be ignored as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-04-02 at 4:53 PM, Adarsh Sant said:

Missed opportunity though :/

All this is is a false sense of thinking everything is worth what we want to get out of it. If there was a better offer on the table for Vanek, do you seriously think Benning wouldn't have taken it?

Opportunity happens at a specific point in time and anything that happens outside of that time is meaningless with that opportunity. Clearly, our opportunity here was to get Motte and the most likely scenario is we couldn't get anything more for Vanek. Motte could suddently decide to become a street vender selling tacos instead of  playing hockey and it would have nothing to do with that particular opportunity we had as the future is unpredictable and impossible to consider accurately with such opportunity.

So please, stop mistaking opportunity for the outcome of the trade. They are 2 COMPLETELY different things. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Going to be interesting how things shape up come fall, there are a lot of potential wingers on roster that are waiver eligible, but Motte is not.

I like that despite his size, he channeled an inner Alex Biega, and literally hit whatever moved on the ice.  Also during the Edmonton Oilers game, Motte was literally a thorn to the side of McDavid all game long.  After whistles you often saw Motte in the face of McDavid, which was often met with a slash to the legs or a face wash by Mcbaby.  The guy can agitate, and has the wheels, and physicality to be a solid checking line forward.

I wasn't really feeling this deal at first mainly because of his size, but Motte over the stretch has made me change my tune about smaller players and has made me pause before I speak about a deal made now.  All the essential tools are there as a responsible hockey player, just hoping he is able to add to his repetoire, some offensive capabilities.  My thinking is that if Brandon Sutter is going to be playing match up mins which likely is North of 15+ mins even strength, you gotta compensate that with some offense too.  I'm not about having a shutdown line that spends 95% of the time in their own zone.  They gotta be able to push back offensively too. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...