The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marchand injures Duclair

Clotheslined him. This is starting to become a trend. Daniel got clotheslined last night (just not as severe) by Dumba. Grabbing of the head, in football it's a great way to control a player on the rush, a lot like why they banned the head slap on the line.

What was he thinking here? He had all day to avoid Duclair. At first I thought it was a freak accident but after watching it 2-3 times his hands were in Duclair's face for no real reason. They likely could have avoided each other completely with the slightest move to the left. Why does he elevate into Duclair's face? I mean, the answer is clear but still. The whole play makes no sense. With Marchand I guess I shouldn't try read too much into it. The guy is missing more than a few brain cells. The injury was kind of a freak accident, but Marchand looks like he intentionally tried to run into Duclair. I am not one to wish an injury on a guy but the sooner this guy is outta the league the better.

At first glance it didn't seem all that malicious, but after watching it more closely, it sure does look like Marchand takes advantage of an impending collision.  Why does he leap into the collision and why do his hands go to Duclair's face?

While Marchand may have not have intended for an injury to happen, the injury was certainly due to unnecessary actions taken by Marchand.  And seriously now, how many times has a player been injured by unnecessary actions from Brad Marchand?  Too many in my opinion. 

I thought he protects himself by crunching down low though?  

Isn’t he just back from suspension too?  And that commentary...is there something in the water in Boston?  Call Marchand out for what he is!  At least call that play what it is. Dirty and unnecessary and worthy of suspension.  

I don’t know, I like Marchand as little as anyone, but this doesn’t look malicious to me. Weird maybe, I don’t know why he needed to jump up to get out of his way. That said, the knee injury wasn’t Marchand, it was Duclair falling on it in an awkward way...which I guess is because Marchand jumped at him in an awkward way ... but still, doesn’t seem malicious in this case at least to me.

Hate rat boy. I don't see any suspensions coming here. A weird play for sure. Not sure what he was thinking there. Other than Marchand new exactly what he was doing by getting as much of Duclair as he could by avoiding him. But impossible to prove any malicious intent. Marchand skirts that fine line and will get away with it again. Hope he gets it back one day.

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Clotheslined him. This is starting to become a trend. Daniel got clotheslined last night (just not as severe) by Dumba. Grabbing of the head, in football it's a great way to control a player on the rush, a lot like why they banned the head slap on the line.

They banned horse collaring in football too. That was blatant. You don't jump up to avoid someone you duck and keep your arms in. I hope he get's what's coming to him. 

Almost everyone tries to take an impending bad accidental collision like that and make it better by slowing down or minimizing contact.  It's just second nature for Brad Marchand to take situations like that and take it to the worst place absolutely possible.  He's done it before, he'll do it again, he simply can't help himself.  It's instinct for Marchand, when in a compromising spot, to go for the head or the knees.  He doesn't hunt for the opportunity but he will never stop doing this "in defence".

1 hour ago, nzan said:

I don’t know, I like Marchand as little as anyone, but this doesn’t look malicious to me. Weird maybe, I don’t know why he needed to jump up to get out of his way. That said, the knee injury wasn’t Marchand, it was Duclair falling on it in an awkward way...which I guess is because Marchand jumped at him in an awkward way ... but still, doesn’t seem malicious in this case at least to me.

Duclair falls this way because has just been clothes lined !

the nhlpa for the most part are all on the same page ,the only player's that side with marchand would be his team mates even still i'm sure that some of them are silently saying ...not again .at some point a player will deal with him , given the fact that dealing with DOPS  hasn't  worked.

This is the thing, as an individual act, I can see how this would be classified as an accident and look the other way.

The thing is, how many times does this one guy get to hurt players on these "accident" plays, until something is majorly done.

If i'm throwing a tennis ball at a wall. And I accidentally have a bad throw and hit someone in the head. Ok, it was an accident, no biggie. If I do it a second time, ok accident, no biggie. A third time, ok, I get it was an accident but change up what you're doing. a fourth and a fifth time, Ok, this has become a pattern and you need to stop. a ninth, a tenth+ times. Yeah, you don't get to use the accident excuse anymore.

Screw Brad Marchand!

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Duclair didn't stuffer an upper body injury - the hands in the face were nothing. Their legs/feet connected. Marchand obviously wasn't trying to take out his leg, with that weird jump.

Looked to me like Duclair's leg buckled which is the injury. And he approached Marchand as he turned into him, It was Duclair who could have avoided the collision earlier as Marchand was coming in blind until the  last second.

But once Marchand saw him, he jumped. Again, no body or leg contact which caused Guclairs leg to buckle. Yet did take the opportunity to give Duclair a quick little cheap shot to the head as it happened. On its own it was not heavily predatory. The butt end of a stick or a huge elbow that gives a guy a career threatening concussion. In the instinct to protect himself, Duclair appeared to brace himself and shift back to avoid the cheap shot.  Which is where his own blade caught a rut or just jammed. And his leg buckled.

If this was a first offense Marchand would probably get by scott free?  Because it was still a cheap shot, and it resulted in an injury.  And with Marchands extensive cheap shot wrap I would give a small suspension. But the cheap shot itself not being the major injury, a game, maybe two? Maybe even just a fine as it was not grevious.

Just my opinion. 

49 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If I am flying by someone or they're flying by me and if I can quickly get a grip on their helmet, I know I am going to throw them off course or get a good wrench of the head, purely by accident though.

Yes. Most players with an ounce of integrity would avoid the collision cleanly. Impossible for rat boy. I said previously that I hope he gets his. Too late. He has made millions, has a ring, and a contract for millions more. I will stop short of hoping for the worse because my Mom raised me right. But a career ending injury is about the only punishment left for the little puke. I won't wish it. But if it happens I will crack a cold one and celebrate.

Archived