The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks call up Thatcher Demko from Utica on Emergency Basis

Adarsh Sant

We are very lucky to have one of the best goalies not playing in the NHL with Demko..He put up great stats with a very weak team in front of him..

I think Demko will play 2 of the next 4 games..Hope he has a great summer and takes on backup job next year playing 25 -30 games..

Very impressed with are other very young goalie Dipietro only 18 this past season...He will be a very good goalie for us in 2-3 yrs...

29 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

With this being the 2nd emergency recall well the team has 1 regular recall left. I am curious who if anyone else will be brought up with the final recall before the season ends. only 4 games left.

1*TVVDFZsMN9xzAHxOQw1oYQ.jpeg

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

Elite or not, he's the #1 guy next season

I don't think anyone in the organization thinks Marky is our longterm no 1.    Marky did nothing this year to cement the idea that he should be our no1 guy or a No1 anywhere.  Having a small run at the end of the season when games mean nothing don't change the overall picture of his play for the year.   He won the starting job but the competition from Nilsson was very weak.   

The key question in the Marky equation is Demko ready?   

37 minutes ago, wildcam said:

We are very lucky to have one of the best goalies not playing in the NHL with Demko..He put up great stats with a very weak team in front of him..

I think Demko will play 2 of the next 4 games..Hope he has a great summer and takes on backup job next year playing 25 -30 games..

Very impressed with are other very young goalie Dipietro only 18 this past season...He will be a very good goalie for us in 2-3 yrs...

I just want to correct you on calling the Comets weak, lack of depth - yes, but they play hard and as a result made the playoffs.  Demko was great but he didn't carry the team - the A is not pee wee hockey.  

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Hope he gets some game time.

Funny

I must be the only guy who doesn't want Demko in a game this year. It's not like any good come out of it. Marky is turning the page, not sure if Cloutier has been away, but Marky has been less like Clouts and more like an NHL goalie for the last week.

The paycheck and a few practices with the team is good experience for Demko. I don't see how throwing him out there with unfamiliar D and a really shakey forward group will do him any good.

Stay healthy Marky. I don't want this seasons crap affecting Demko's psyche.

Edit- looks like @combover and I are on the same page. Which isn't often..

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

With this being the 2nd emergency recall well the team has 1 regular recall left. I am curious who if anyone else will be brought up with the final recall before the season ends. only 4 games left.

I'd like to see MacEewen get the call, but maybe they give it to Cole Cassels as a parting gift. Or like you said just use it on Demko and keep him up for a few games. The Comets have clinched and they still have 3 regular season games after the Canucks season ends so Bachman could hold down the fort til he gets back.

43 minutes ago, samurai said:

I don't think anyone in the organization thinks Marky is our longterm no 1.    Marky did nothing this year to cement the idea that he should be our no1 guy or a No1 anywhere.  Having a small run at the end of the season when games mean nothing don't change the overall picture of his play for the year.   He won the starting job but the competition from Nilsson was very weak.   

The key question in the Marky equation is Demko ready?   

That's irrelevant, he's the starter next year.

According to Cull, he isn't ready and several Utica posters back that up.  Believe me, I want to see him in Van as soon as he's ready.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's irrelevant, he's the starter next year.

According to Cull, he isn't ready and several Utica posters back that up.  Believe me, I want to see him in Van as soon as he's ready.

if Cull said he was ready that would mean he is putting unnecessary pressure on the management team and of course creating a controversy.  Coaches as a rule don't say a player is 'ready' unless they are told so.    What Cull thinks is as you say irrelevant.  

Generally coaches don't say a guy is ready unless it's absolutely clear he is ready. It'd be dangerous for a guy's confidence to say "yeah he's ready" then he gets lit up and get sent back down to the A. I don't take anything anyone says to the media too seriously. They aren't gonna reveal their hand too often. It's why I don't really care for interviews unless it's a guy's first game or something. Enjoy seeing how excited they look.

Archived