The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] John carlson

I’m wondering how many people wanna take back what they said about John Carlson when I offered paid him 6 years 8.5 Jim Benning has to and I believe he will throw and similar deal at Carlson rather he takes it or not I sure hope so my question is how much would we improve with Defense of 

Edler Carlson

Juolevi/Hughes Tanev

stecher Guddi

This thread is going places

5 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

I’m wondering how many people wanna take back what they said about John Carlson when I offered paid him 6 years 8.5

You must have a lot of coin. 

15 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

I’m wondering how many people wanna take back what they said about John Carlson when I offered paid him 6 years 8.5 Jim Benning has to and I believe he will throw and similar deal at Carlson rather he takes it or not I sure hope so my question is how much would we improve with Defense of 

Edler Carlson

Juolevi/Hughes Tanev

stecher Guddi

I'm not sure I would want Carlson for $8.5M but I am sure someone will pay him that salary. People seem to forget that the Cap is expected to be around $80M this year give or take a million or two. If we could get him for $8M (10% of salary cap) that would not be significantly more than the 8% of Cao that we signed Edler for in 2013/14 so I would not be overly upset if we signed Carlson for $8M but without a NTC

Carlson had a career year on one of the strongest/higher scoring teams in the league - chances of him repeating this a second time is questionable imo.  He had a career year at exactly the right time and he'll get paid as a result - I just hope it's NOT JB who pays him.  He's going to command both dollar AND term with full NTC/NMC and we just  got some financial flexibility for once in a very, very long time. 

The value of Carlson on the open market likely won't be less than 8 million term and a NTC.  The thing that's most impressive about him is he's just gotten better and better over time, much like Burns in SJ.  I don't think he'd get much more than fifty points on a team like ours though or that he'd come here unless Benning looses his mind and offers something insane which if he does will end up getting him fired.  

Kuznetsovs arrival definitely stacked his stats, on a team with an already ridiculous top nine....

Plenty of teams have the cap space right now to fit him in without any immidiate tweeting, but WSH is going to have to get a couple of brinks trucks to keep him and pay Kuznetsov....bet they are regretting Oshies deal right about now.

I wouldn't pay him that, no way. He wouldn't be the same player for us that he's been with the high octane Washington Capitals. If we were in a position where he might put us over the top and turn us into a contender it might be different but we're not there yet and we've got a ways to go.

Sounds like OP has an axe to grind.

I'm sure Carlson will get paid too much.  Just as long as it isn't Benning who gives it to him.  We know that the long term, high priced free agents don't fit here.  Just as high priced trades like O'Reilly or Hanefin are rebuild busters.

I would like to think that JB learned his lesson when he signed Eriksson.  There's no guarantee that future performance will be as good as past performance.

I get how people say his stats are inflated due power play and there high octane offense but I’m talking defensively this guys a plus 10 playing against teams number 1 lines and plays close 27:00 minutes a night and has 20 points should be getting some conn smythe votes the Canucks would be lucky get him

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Carlson had a career year on one of the strongest/higher scoring teams in the league - chances of him repeating this a second time is questionable imo.  He had a career year at exactly the right time and he'll get paid as a result - I just hope it's NOT JB who pays him.  He's going to command both dollar AND term with full NTC/NMC and we just  got some financial flexibility for once in a very, very long time. 

Washington Capitals have been a strong/high scoring team for many years. Carlson's season looks more like an individual effort. 

11 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Which team has won cup without stud defencemen?

I don't think there has been any. They say defence wins championships.

It's predicting which D will become studs that is the tough part. If I'm predicting which Ds (except Dahlin) from (the first round) this draft that could become studs, I would guess Bouchard and Dobson. And I think Smith, Wilde and Sandin will become impact players for their teams. No disrespect to Hughes and Boqvist. I'm sure they'll be very good, exciting players. Just not convinced they'll be studs in the playoffs, when things get nasty. Boqvist has already had concussion issues and he's probably still 3-4 years from the NHL. Makes me a bit nervous seeing as Benning needs to nail this pick. 

Archived