The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i'm betting

jt signs with vegas

and vegas pushes hard to get karlsson from ottawa

And then they soon become like the rest of the NHL with aging bloated contracts. Not saying they shouldn't do it. But I think it's only a matter of time before they have their share of bad deals. 

On 2018-06-08 at 1:18 AM, Lancaster said:

If the top-9 of the Canucks are:

Pettersson - Tavares - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Eriksson

Gagne - Sutter - Virtanen

Seems pretty strong to me.  

Throw in John Carlson and with EP thats three impact players added .

Have a relatively injury free year and we're in the playoffs .

On 2018-06-08 at 12:49 PM, rekker said:

And then they soon become like the rest of the NHL with aging bloated contracts. Not saying they shouldn't do it. But I think it's only a matter of time before they have their share of bad deals. 

They would have quite a window though, five-seven years added to what they just did but with an additional top three defenseman and top five center...or would that ruin their mojo?  Probably not.    

Other GMs have taken notice that it doesn't take top star power to make things work,  and it can be done with thirty million in cap space too.  They have plenty of cash to sign guys even with JT and EK added as they took on some contracts to pick certain guys that will come off the books, and don't have to re-sign some of their pricier but less effective guys as well (and use that to give the guys that will be up for big raises). 

Seattle must be chomping  at the bit to get their four third line players set up and eight 3-4 defenseman too.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They would have quite a window though, five-seven years added to what they just did but with an additional top three defenseman and top five center...or would that ruin their mojo?  Probably not.    

Other GMs have taken notice that it doesn't take top star power to make things work,  and it can be done with thirty million in cap space too.  They have plenty of cash to sign guys even with JT and EK added as they took on some contracts to pick certain guys that will come off the books, and don't have to re-sign some of their pricier but less effective guys as well (and use that to give the guys that will be up for big raises). 

Seattle must be chomping  at the bit to get their four third line players set up and eight 3-4 defenseman too.

I like what you said about not needing the superstar. I've said a few times now. I would rather have a Bo and Brock combo than a McD.

This was just posted on HockeyBuzz (Yeah yeah, I know, Eklund) 

"Tavares and Vancouver...

Was just told by a source that Tavares has planned to visit with Vancouver during his five day window leading up to July 1. This doesn't mean he is going to sign there, but it is perhaps most interesting because this is the first team I have heard mentioned in a "Tavares visit" which implies Tavares DOES plan to let this go to July 1 and visit teams.."

14 minutes ago, BenMaverick84 said:

Was just told by a source that Tavares has planned to visit with Vancouver during his five day window leading up to July 1. This doesn't mean he is going to sign there, but it is perhaps most interesting because this is the first team I have heard mentioned in a "Tavares visit" which implies Tavares DOES plan to let this go to July 1 and visit teams.."

If only this was true...lol...he'd be a huge steal for Benning and Linden!

19 minutes ago, BenMaverick84 said:

Fingers crossed ::D

34 minutes ago, BenMaverick84 said:

Click bait.... he will add montreal and toronto to that storyline soon enough. 

37 minutes ago, BenMaverick84 said:

He will cost a team 12 million per, on 7 year term.  Do we really want to do that?  I think it would be a HUGE mistake to do this.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He will cost a team 12 million per, on 7 year term.  Do we really want to do that?  I think it would be a HUGE mistake to do this.  

If we could get out of the Eriksson albatross contract it would be worth it.

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don’t count out the respect the Canucks may have gained with the players around the league with how we handled the Sedins last season and not pressuring them to move.

I could see him not wanting to face the Islanders too often and willing to go West, and I think him centering Pettersson and Boeser would be awesome.

I think 10 - 10.5 is more realistic, about what Kane and Toewes get paid in Chicago.

BIG if though!

On 2018-06-08 at 12:49 PM, rekker said:

3 hours ago, rekker said:

I like what you said about not needing the superstar. I've said a few times now. I would rather have a Bo and Brock combo than a McD.

Absolutely.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if Boeser ends up with an identical deal as Horvat, which would mean there's even a little money left for a fringe player/prospect.   Considering all it took was a guy like Dorset at 2plus million to shut down McDavid and his 12.5 million early last season, I definitely feel our team and others are better off with six very good players than two or even three superstars.  Vegas had or has a lot of interesting story lines, but to me the most important one is GMs have taken notice that their model is very, very effective and a solid top nine with three second tier stars (Neal, Marshmellow and Karlsson) is just as good or better than WNP, SJ, LA etc.  Of course elite goaltending was required to get past those guys too, especially WNP who I think would have beat WSH.

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if Boeser ends up with an identical deal as Horvat, which would mean there's even a little money left for a fringe player/prospect. 

I would be shocked if Boeser gets an identical deal to Horvat’s. He’s going to make quite a bit more. The only way I see it happening is if his production sharply drops off (unlikely) or he signs a bridge deal (also unlikely). Nothing against Bo, but goal scoring skillsets like Brock’s simply command higher salaries. I see his cap hit being a lot closer to Pastrnak or Gaudreau’s, perhaps even higher considering the escalation of player salaries.

Archived