The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

I can only take so much of your anti-Canuck whining at at time.   Sorry.   

Anti Canuck. LOL

You have no clue!  We will see how you react if this club sucks again this year. The real Canuck fans are here through thick and thin.

What I am is very realistic about the future.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Consistently reducing everything down to simply scoring numbers is why you cannot for the life of you understand the value of players like Beagle, Sutter, and Gudbranson.

I fully understand the importance of players like Beagle. Just not four years for a 32 year old when you are in a rebuild and have kids pushing to make the club. Sutter is also important but if Gaudette is pushing his way on to the team then we don't need Sutter and Beagle. Someone will need to make room. Maybe gain assets at the same time.

You don't want too many players of the same ilk. You need offense too don't you?

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

I fully understand the importance of players like Beagle. Just not four years for a 32 year old when you are in a rebuild and have kids pushing to make the club. Sutter is also important but if Gaudette is pushing his way on to the team then we don't need Sutter and Beagle. Someone will need to make room. Maybe gain assets at the same time.

You don't want too many players of the same ilk. You need offense too don't you?

...and Gaudette has a higher offensive ceiling than either of those guys. 

On 19/09/2018 at 12:04 PM, appleboy said:

See the kind of shape Beagle showed up in? He will be fine for four more years and a steadying presence throughout the term. Its not like we are busting at the seams with center prospects trying to take his job in the next four years. 

On 9/19/2018 at 9:14 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Consistently reducing everything down to simply scoring numbers is why you cannot for the life of you understand the value of players like Beagle, Sutter, and Gudbranson.

Last time I checked hockey is still a team game. Look at all the "phenom" players in the leauge. Eichel, Matthews, McDavid all are upcoming but you don't win unless you surround them with the proper players. They ain't raised no stanley cup yet. And to get that far you need to play a solid team game. Highest scorer means JACK come play off time.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rekker said:

See the kind of shape Beagle showed up in? He will be fine for four more years and a steadying presence throughout the term. Its not like we are busting at the seams with center prospects trying to take his job in the next four years. 

Your wasting your time replying to appleboy. He just likes to troll with the same old rant about the 4 year term. He obviously has no @#$% clue that length of term is irrelevant as long as it is not a NMC or NTC contract. If Gaudette out plays him in the next two years, Beagle will be moved. appleboy would have to be incredibly dense to not see that but the constant rant continues never the less.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Anyone else thinking we're gonna carry 2 extra forwards and 1 extra d man going into this season? It's so hard to tell thru these exhibition games how the offensive lines will be made up. With all these question marks it makes sense to carry 2 extra forwards going into the season to see how things really shake out. This may be a moot point with Rousell and Eriksson down at the moment. But if they do come back sooner rather than later I can still see this scenario playing out till they are sure where the offense is going to come from. 

EDIT: And I know it's Bennings preference to have 2 spare D instead of 2 spare FWDs. 

Sorry moving post, meant to post this on the game thread lol.

Edited by Attila Umbrus

On 2018-09-19 at 12:04 PM, appleboy said:

There are 2 things we need to consider here: where we are now and where we are in the future.

Beagle and Sutter are about the here and now. We need these players for mentorship, protection, and assurance for in case if a player like Gaudette actually becomes a flop (not saying he will but there is always that chance of which I hope your "realistic" thought process will understand). The term for Beagle may seem long but, to be honest, does it really matter at the moment? In 3 years time, we could bury Beagle in the minors, trade Beagle, maybe he retires, maybe he's key in the continued development of your youth, who knows. It's not a lot of money we are spending on him each year: at least not to the point where it will affect our future contracts with our young players.

You mention having "too many players of the same ilk". Yet, how many players here are you considering to be of the same ilk? I'm curious. Do you just think in terms of top 6 and bottom 6? Do you look at what each player brings and compare them? Some "spots" may have quite a few players at the moment competing but, right now, does it really matter? If a young player doesn't earn his spot, do you think he should be handed it on a silver platter?

The way I see it: we have the toughest team we've had in a while. We don't have a good team, but our youth at least have someone to stand up to them. I do think Sutter or Beagle or both could be out eventually, but complaining about their stance in the future? That's not realism. That's complaining.

• Cheers 1

On 20/09/2018 at 3:04 AM, appleboy said:

Beagle,a guy that has won a cup, heart as big as Pharlaps, great bunch of rookies who need to learn from players like Jay and you do not understand his importance of the length of his contract ?

Even I an Aussie who knows far less about hockey than most posters here realise why Jim signed this guy and for how long.

Takes time to learn any trade.

Over here  trade apprenticeships are 3- 4 years 

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Ilunga said:

Beagle,a guy that has won a cup, heart as big as Pharlaps, great bunch of rookies who need to learn from players like Jay and you do not understand the importance of the length of his contract ?

Even I an Aussie who knows far less about hockey than most posters here realise why Jim signed this guy and for how long.

Takes time to learn any trade.

Over here  trade apprenticeships are 3- 4 years