The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Can't see this happening. It'll be a cap dump for us even at 50%. They'll have the opportunity to draft a bunch of bottom tier forwards in the expansion and likely won't need to make a trade to fill another spot only to take a player of our choice which likely be the bottom of the barrel.

Vegas generally drafted mid-20 guys unless they were significant players like Neal or Fluery or if they had made a deal to take on someone like Garrison, but Tampa paid a hefty price at the time to make it happen. We would likely have to pay to offload Eriksson.

I'm not saying it WILL happen. Just suggesting something like that is the only 'add' Benning's going to cough up to lose another player regardless. Otherwise, like you said, we'll just lose a player and aim to have a plan to have other guys in the system ready to step up in to that 8th F / 4th D slot.

As for Eriksson IMO he's easily worth a $3m cap hit $2m salary (50% retained) and will only have one year left while being able to provide a solid veteran, 2 way presence and would give them an asset to potentially flip at the TDL. 

Even if it's enough to maybe get them to take our say 5th best D instead of 4th, you call that a win IMO.

Edited by aGENT

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not saying it WILL happen. Just suggesting something like that is the only 'add' Benning's going to cough up to lose another player regardless. Otherwise, like you said, we'll just lose a player and aim to have a plan to have other guys in the system ready to step up in to that 8th F / 4th D slot.

As for Eriksson IMO he's easily worth a $3m cap hit $2m salary (50% retained) and will only have one year left while being able to provide a solid veteran, 2 way presence and would give them an asset to potentially flip at the TDL. 

Even if it's enough to maybe get them to take our say 5th best D instead of 4th, you call that a win IMO.

If Seattle is willing to take it, then great, but it's pretty clear that any move to rid ourselves of Eriksson will be a cap dump which is a negative in any trade, so I personally cannot see them taking him on and doing us a favour on top. It's arguable if he's worth that salary now, but once the expansion happens, he will be 35 years old I believe and his numbers may only continue to drop off (on pace for 34 points this year). The rest of the game he provides is simply a justification of his value (since he isn't providing the real value he was brought in for), but there are better role players than him for a bottom 6 role that may or may not come cheaper and plenty will be available from the expansion draft itself.

I think quite highly of Benning already, but if he can pull this off, then he would be next level.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:05 AM, canuckistani said:

He may not. but its not up to him, its up to the club. And clearly, the club's best interests are to have him wait till next season. And anyone who is going to argue that the extra 9-15 games are going to be a huge part of a defenseman's development, is engaging in sophistry, not cogent defense. 

I don't know what either of these 2 words mean but I agree.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dura_mater said:

I don't know what either of these 2 words mean but I agree.

I believe what he means is, the Canucks should not worry about alienating their future franchise Dman by refusing to give him the same deal they gave Brock. They should treat Hughes with the same contempt that the poster shows for the Canucks fans on CDC. Because that is how a clever (19th century) manager deals with his key employees. Just ask Ebenezer Scrooge.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/12/2018 at 9:38 PM, zapperman said:

Going to watch the Hughes Bros on the 22 in Langley. Can’t wait. I feel very unpatriotic this year being more excited to see USA than Canada. Crap. I typically love to hate the US and love the rivalry. But to see them up close for cheap - couldn’t pass it up. 

Have fun! I will be watching Sweden vs. USA game on December 29th. Hughes vs. Boqvist.

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I believe what he means is, the Canucks should not worry about alienating their future franchise Dman by refusing to give him the same deal they gave Brock. They should treat Hughes with the same contempt that the poster shows for the Canucks fans on CDC. Because that is how a clever (19th century) manager deals with his key employees. Just ask Ebenezer Scrooge.

I think the decision to sign or not sign is going to be pretty simple... have a conversation with the guy and see where he’s at.  If it’s important for him to sign, bite the bullet and sign him.  If he’s willing to wait, given the situation, then hold off. 

Of course none od ya have the ability to know what Quinn would prefer so it makes for lots of fruitless speculation about his intentions and the teams best route moving forward :lol:

• Cheers 1

A lot of fans saying Hughes will be better than Dhalin! And a lot saying he won't. He will add a dimension that will make the Canucks Stanley cup contenders in the future. And I am saying it like I have said before the draft when we didn't get the number 1 pick. Hughes will prove to be just like Elias. The year he is spending developing is crucial to the player he will end up being! Wasn't rushed and that will add to his maturity. Look out if the Canucks do squeak into the play-offs and get Hughes in the spring!                        

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm not a big fan of making Hughes necessary to protect in the expansion draft by signing and playing him this year, but I would still rather ensure Hughes is happy and lose a bottom-pairing guy than irritate him and perhaps lose a future star defenseman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not a big fan of making Hughes necessary to protect in the expansion draft by signing and playing him this year, but I would still rather ensure Hughes is happy and lose a bottom-pairing guy than irritate him and perhaps lose a future star defenseman.

Agreed, I feel like if you just say to him the details though he will recognize the value in not signing for his future chances at being a stanley cup competitor. He seems like a competitive guy so being honest with him about the situation and benefits of him not signing and he may not.

Either way though it doesn't truly matter. Plus there are other ways to get Seattle to not take a key player such as offering Eriksson+pick 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Would it be considered tampering if Quinn convinced Jack to tank for us? I just can't see us tanking for him working out lol

That would be friggin’ awesome.  Jack does nothing this season, and pretends to have a career threatening injury too.  Then we get him at 10 in the draft.  I love it!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would be friggin’ awesome.  Jack does nothing this season, and pretends to have a career threatening injury too.  Then we get him at 10 in the draft.  I love it!

Tell half the GM's in interviews that he frequents s*x-bot hotels, & are there many near their barn?! Reel gud

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tell half the GM's in interviews that he frequents s*x-bot hotels, & are there many near their barn?! Reel gud

Get Jack to tank the interviews.  :towel:I really think we’re going to win the draft lotto, and get Jack.  That would mean a lot of extra dough for the NHL.  Our tickets would be going for 400 a pop.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Get Jack to tank the interviews.  :towel:I really think we’re going to win the draft lotto, and get Jack.  That would mean a lot of extra dough for the NHL.  Our tickets would be going for 400 a pop.  

Not even worried about this one, Alf..JB is building a monster. We've already done the bro-thing..whatever happens. Most important is our fine collection of youth come together & are real tight, so they'll all take a little le$$ for cap matters.

It's been 5 longgg yrs of building, but looks like we've got something trending here - big time!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1