The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I can’t agree with that. Any hockey market where the team isn’t winning has negative media. The reason Boston is a happy place right now is because they are winning. It wasn’t so pretty a few years ago when the canned chia and made some questionable draft choices that summer. When a team is losing the swamp starts to rise. 

Just look at the media In Edmonton, or Montreal last year, remember what Toronto was like in there rebuild. Look at Ottawa right now.  Heck even flames are getting ripped apart for there latest 3 game losing streak and they are first in the conference. Monahan is just getting shredded, being called useless and soft since he dried up in the last 17 games. And the guys already got 30 on the year.

Hockey markets have high expectations, when those expectations aren’t being met the media lets you know. This isn’t just a Vancouver thing. 

Can’t speak to Calgary or Montreal or Toronto or Ottawa but here in Edmonton media is very positive. Look at the Edmonton journal, CHED radio, or any major personalities on twitter. Very pro oilers and always talking about how they’ve gotten robbed by reffing or coaches challenges or posts or macdavid being hooked with no call or some other excuse. The most critical media member here is probably mark spectre with sportsnet and he’s more of a flip flopper; constantly changing his opinion of players, coaching, and management almost daily based on very little actual change with the team. 

But guys like jim Matheson, Bob Stauffer, or jack Michaels are constantly pumping the oilers tires; and they’re probably the three loudest voices of the media

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Can’t speak to Calgary or Montreal or Toronto or Ottawa but here in Edmonton media is very positive. Look at the Edmonton journal, CHED radio, or any major personalities on twitter. Very pro oilers and always talking about how they’ve gotten robbed by reffing or coaches challenges or posts or macdavid being hooked with no call or some other excuse. The most critical media member here is probably mark spectre with sportsnet and he’s more of a flip flopper; constantly changing his opinion of players, coaching, and management almost daily based on very little actual change with the team. 

But guys like jim Matheson, Bob Stauffer, or jack Michaels are constantly pumping the oilers tires; and they’re probably the three loudest voices of the media

I would get so bored of the narrative of refs costing you games. Listening to excuses is so lame.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Well maybe I just hear them at bad times but any time I’m forced to go to Edmonton to visit the in-laws it’s never possitive. The latest win streak has helped but just prior to that it was, how much longer will mcdavid put up with his garage wingers before he says he wants out. 

It was only two years ago when the pushed eberle out 

Even hall said the oilers media isn’t good. 

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/21588804/taylor-hall-says-edmonton-negative-media-culture-affects-player-confidence

I'm just a bit bummed that UofM made the playoffs...7 teams in the B1G and 6 of them are in the playoffs?!

Anyways, I guess another solid run will build his confidence and help him to know what it takes to win...we can use a bit of that swagger! So we might not see him til next year...something else to be positive about the future...

Now if we could just lose for (the other) Hughes...or how about cookoo for Kakko? No? Too much?

30 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Anyways, I guess another solid run will build his confidence and help him to know what it takes to win...we can use a bit of that swagger! So we might not see him til next year...something else to be positive about the future...

True.

Having Hughes play huge minutes in playoff hockey where he's the 'go-to' guy on defense isn't necessarily a bad thing imo.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ABNuck said:

I'm just a bit bummed that UofM made the playoffs...7 teams in the B1G and 6 of them are in the playoffs?!

Now if we could just lose for (the other) Hughes...or how about cookoo for Kakko? No? Too much?

It’s not the playoffs. It’s the big ten tournament, which is a separate thing, since there’s a champion for both the regular season and the tournament. Also, all 7 teams are in the tournament, not just 6.

Even if there were a 6 team playoff, Michigan has been nowhere close to being out of it. They’ve been #2 or #3 consistently throughout the season until they dropped many spots on the last day.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Lets make his first game on the 20th.   He would have a bunch of home games in a row. 

Yes please - I’ll be at that game and keeping my fingers crossed for such a scenario.

Edited by Slegr
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

Lets make his first game on the 20th.   He would have a bunch of home games in a row. 

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

Just so long as we get him here, I'm not too concerned about when in March he arrives.  We don't want him playing more than 10 games though, so he's not eligible for expansion, right?  I'm hearing two side of the coin for that circumstance.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So how's this work?  We want Hughes to go deep so he plays les NHL games ensuring he doesn't 

A:  Burn a year off contract

and

B:  stay eligible for the calder next year?

Plus prevent us from having to protect him in the expansion draft, i think if he plays more than 10 games this year we have to use a spot on him instead of juolevi, hutton, stecher or whoever we might sign or trade for

• Upvote 1