The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Looked like his skate caught a rut in the ice, and it twisted his ankle.  Glad to hear it’s nothing too bad. 

That's what I mentioned to my buddy that it was probably a rut from bad ice. Just got caught in it mid stride. 

On 11/2/2019 at 8:10 AM, GoldenAlien said:

Early reports are positive.

Was a good idea to be cautious with this.  I know from experience that while something like this feels ok after the game, you find out the next day the long term prognosis.  Sure hope he's back Tuesday.

14 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

I know Huggy Bear is a phenom, but it still gets me just how incredibly stupid some NHL players are.  That St. Louis number 21 has to give Hughes space there.  Closing down on a phenom like Hughes is not like closing down on an okay skater like Dahlin.  Sure it’s easy to close on Dahlin, but try that on a phenom, like Hughes, and it’s bye bye and so long.  

• Haha 2

Unpopular opinion: Hughes is unable to QB the PP because he is unable to not pass into a players skates.

Granted, not saying he can't work on this but seriously, most power plays EP40 or BB6 need to stop the pass and then decide what to do with it. It is not delivered in a consistent manner to produce a one-timer.

Also fire NB. That is all.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

Unpopular opinion: Hughes is unable to QB the PP because he is unable to not pass into a players skates.

Granted, not saying he can't work on this but seriously, most power plays EP40 or BB6 need to stop the pass and then decide what to do with it. It is not delivered in a consistent manner to produce a one-timer. 

With the way he cleaned up his shot on goal during the off season, I don't think he will have any difficult improve on any other weakness.  After all, he has only played 26 NHL games so far, so I do expect to see a lot of growth over the next 60 games.

Still, I'd rather see Hughes walking the line than Meyers flopping around and then having an opposition player take the puck away from him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

With the way he cleaned up his shot on goal during the off season, I don't think he will have any difficult improve on any other weakness.  After all, he has only played 26 NHL games so far, so I do expect to see a lot of growth over the next 60 games.

Still, I'd rather see Hughes walking the line than Meyers flopping around and then having an opposition player take the puck away from him.

Yeah I agree. 

Sure he has made some mistakes as he learns to QB the first unit powerplay and likely will continue to make some mistakes. But overall he's done quite well as a rookie jumping into this role and his skating and vision are excellent. I think his passing will improve and even if he drops down to second unit for a little more time and Edler goes back up that is also fine. 

45 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

Actually a valid point, his passing on the PP hasn't been that good, although his overall PP play has. To some extent, it's likely because opposing teams generally cheat a bit on both sides since they know Boeser and EP are there for one-timers. But this leaves two questions imo:

1) If other teams can get their passes through for one-timers, why can't we? Need faster passing from all 5 guys?

2) If the other team takes away the one-timers on both side, mathematically that should mean QH can walk right in and create a 3 on 2 in the middle, or draw the opposition from either side towards him so Boeser or EP gets open?

But what do I know, I'm not mr Brown ;-)