The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

21 years old. Already one of the best offensive defencemen in the league. Eff Makar and the others. Hughes Is Ours and yes he’s going to get a whole lot better too.

Edited by Devron44
Autocorrect
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Unsure as to the validity of the source, but figures of Petey for 7x5 and Hughes for 4.8x3 have been floating around Twitter...

Hmm that would go against what his agent is saying.

Hes saying Quinn will likely be a longer contract than Peteys.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Hmm that would go against what his agent is saying.

Hes saying Quinn will likely be a longer contract than Peteys.

Well after re-reading, supposedly these were the original offers and not the current state of affairs....

I think it makes sense what the agent said with a shorter deal for EP and a longer deal for QH.

QH is a bit of an unknown as to how effective he will be in the defensive parts of the game in his prime, but apart from that quite certain he will develop into an elite passer, play driver and puck handler. He sort of already is of course but will get better.

EP on the other hand is an established 1C who will bring a solid two way game along with elite shooting and playmaking, but there are question marks on durability (although the wrist injury is hopefully just a freak incident) and nobody really knows yet if he will be one of the 30 best centers in the league or one of the five best, so a bridge deal makes sense for all parties.

So 7x7 for QH and 3x7 for EP in current economic climate? One can hope...

On 6/5/2021 at 1:21 AM, Devron44 said:

21 years old. Already one of the best offensive defencemen in the league. Eff Makar and the others. Hughes Is Ours and yes he’s going to get a whole lot better too.

Eff Makar?

Makar is a true #1.  

Not sure why people keep pointing out that hes 21.  By 21 most potential top dmen have already shown the ability to play an all around game.  Hughes has shown hes as one dimensional as they come.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Eff Makar?

Makar is a true #1.  

Not sure why people keep pointing out that hes 21.  By 21 most potential top dmen have already shown the ability to play an all around game.  Hughes has shown hes as one dimensional as they come.  

People are just hating on Makar because they're jealous. I know I am jealous.

Hughes was much better defensively last year and not as good this year. That said, it's too early to write him off, as he is still young and will likely improve defensively as he gets more experience.

3 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Eff Makar?

Makar is a true #1.  

Makar is not on the Canucks. Hence then eff him. He is not ours. 

We are lucky to have Hughes even though he struggled defensively last year. You have no idea what Hughes will be in a few years. Hughes was actually better all around in his first season. 

Pointing out that he’s 21 is a no brainer. Most defencemen are lucky to even play a game at that age.

I just can’t take you seriously. Too many times I’ve seen you write trash about Boeser. A rounded goal scorer that took him a few years to get there. Just like most players 

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:35 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure I ever heard Chris Tanev say Hughes is great at playing defensively. 

No but he’s said multiple times that at some point he’s going to be the best defencemen in the league. Who knows if that’ll ever come to fruition but that’s pretty high praise 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:47 AM, kloubek said:

You're absolutely right - though I can understand the team's desire to move on. Problem is, we haven't found that guy yet. 

Been seven years and they still haven’t found that defensive guy yet.  Which is odd since offensive D men, which we have plenty of, you’d think would be harder to get.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

• 1 month later...

I wonder how the recent high payment contracts to defensemen is going to affect the Hughes negotiations. 

I know what I think he's worth, and it's nowhere near the kind of money Seth Jones will be making. At least Makar can claim to be the best defenseman in the world - as he may well be. 

Is Hughes 80% as good as Makar? 85%?

He's already overbudget.

I assume Benning is confident he will be able to get a friendly deal for both he and Petey.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hughes

2 years @ $7,032,170 per year

You may be closer to the final number but I am hoping for a two year bridge @ 5.75 mil / yr. He is not subject to arbitration rights or an offer sheet so he does not have the same leverage as someone who does.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1