The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

IMO Hughes is a tremendous trade asset, better two young healty "Edler's" or "Ohlunds" than one Hughes but if not them, then Dahlen and Sergachev. The Canucks have the assets to get them.

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

:picard:

Okay then Hughes is not a great trade asset

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Nobody is suggesting Hughes is playing well, particularly in his own end. But you don't trade a 20 year old phenom, going through a tough patch, in is sophomore season.

That's dumb.

The team has 55 goals against in 14 games

Hughes has been on the ice for 27 of those

That does not show up as a defenceman phenom.

Examples of defence phenoms

Orr

Coffey

Linstrom

Doughty

Neidimeyer

Bourque

Potvin

Chelios

Hedman

Keith :blink:

The common thing with them was they never were the worst defensively on their teams, any teams.

Hughes is so bad defensively I am thinking they should play Juloevi instead and I don't think he is a better than a #7 dman, and neither does the team. They might score a goal or two less but hopefully they stop 3 of 4 against.

Addition by subtraction

Edited by Lazurus

I feel Hughes is doing way too much on his own. Trying to pick up Tanev's defensive assignments while still creating offense. 

He needs to dumb it down and just keep it simple with making good outlet passes and skating. I can see how burnt out he is already because he is making some uncharacteristic plays such as forcing passes and being too aggressive in defensive and offensive pinches.

59 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

lol are people seriously considering hughes as a trade asset?

'People' might be generous. A few fruit loops is probably more accurate.

Sometimes how little the very vocal minority of this fan base actually knows about hockey is painfully, laughably obvious :lol:

• Cheers 1

It's honestly hilarious how reactionary some people can be. We have a potentially future Norris-calibre defenseman on our hands and people are talking about trading him because his defense isn't great when he's 21 years old. :picard:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

A lot of his defense is effort and focus related. He's never been great at those things and can easily lose track of his man, but that's easily correctable and hopefully it's corrected quickly as adversity hits.

With that being said, he was a good defender in college and at the start of last year as well because of his elite gap control ability and his ability to skate with people. The gap control is still there, but not being as fast as he used to be, he's having a hard time keeping up with faster guys, which for a 5'10 guy, should not happen.

I really think extra focus and speed will absolve so many defensive and offensive issues and I'm interested to see how/if Quinn can return to becoming a more dynamic skater to go along with his elite agility which we all know he has.

7 hours ago, Lazurus said:

That can't be important can it? If Jake was on the ice for half the goals against would it make it a difference?

You guys love bringing Jake into everything on these forums. Either way Jake is in his 6th NHL season he’s had more than enough time to prove himself. Also Jake has never had or even been close to the offensive upside Quinn has shown.

Your post might be one of the worst takes I’ve ever seen on here. You want to trade a defencemen in only his second year, who’s leading the league in points for defencemen, putting up numbers and records on the same level as hall of fames and legends, all because he’s having a slump. By the way every single one of our defencemen look like crap, especially the veterans. 

With your logic we would probably be trading half our stars and defencemen. Boeser and a couple of other Canucks are right behind Hughes in be being on the ice for goals.

• Vintage 1

Any player, not signed to a NMC or NTC is a tradeable asset

Just depends on the return.

Hughes is untradeable?  b.s.

.     I'd say if you were the Canuck G.M. you take these deals.:

Hughes for Makar and Mackinnon

Hughes for Makar and a first

Hughes for Hedman, a first and a second.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, gurn said:

You are correct in what you stated.

Wayne Gretzky was proof of that.

It all depends on what you receive in return for the (asset/commodity/player) you are trading. Call it what you will but players are, IMO, commodities that may be traded when their value is high for a different commodity or group of commodities whose value is likely to increase over time.

Business Investing 101.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

obviously, but those wouldnt happen lol, and there is literally no reason to trade him.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Provorov, Farabee and a first!

Hughes is not a 'defense' man.  He is too light and gets knocked off his feet (skates) and the puck with ease by the opposing forecheckers.  Like Petey the are strong skaters but easily get knocked off balance trying to do too much.  Like many of said dumb down the game and wait for your breaks.  Yes, if the right deal came along that would overall better the team, I would trade him.

• Haha 2