The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at three different 2018 redrafts, they all put Quinn Hughs at #3 over all. By far the biggest jump of any player in the top 10. So in effect, we got a #3 over all pick in 2018.

Here is The Hockey News redraft

Here’s how the first round would play out, based on the scouting committee’s evaluation of their progression the past two seasons.

First round:
1. Rasmus Dahlin, D (taken 1st by Buffalo)
2. Andrei Svechnikov, RW (taken 2nd by Carolina)
3. Quinn Hughes, D (taken 7th by Vancouver)
4. Brady Tkachuk, LW (taken 4th by Ottawa)
5. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C (taken 3rd by Montreal)

This one from Feb 2021 has him at #2 over all with expectations that he could jump to #1 https://morning-skate.com/2021/02/16/15035/

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

• 3 weeks later...

Quinn Hughes scoots into 79th in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist tonight.  Quite the defenseman logjam at that spot.

78.  Adrian Aucoin D 341 49 71 120
79.  Quinn Hughes D 156 13 106 119
80.  Chris Tanev D 514 22 96 118
81.  Jiri Bubla D 256 17 101 118

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Quinn Hughes scoots into 79th in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist tonight.  Quite the defenseman logjam at that spot.

78.  Adrian Aucoin D 341 49 71 120
79.  Quinn Hughes D 156 13 106 119
80.  Chris Tanev D 514 22 96 118
81.  Jiri Bubla D 256 17 101 118

Where is he at in the d man all time scoring list if you dont mind ? 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Looking at three different 2018 redrafts, they all put Quinn Hughs at #3 over all. By far the biggest jump of any player in the top 10. So in effect, we got a #3 over all pick in 2018.

Here is The Hockey News redraft

Here’s how the first round would play out, based on the scouting committee’s evaluation of their progression the past two seasons.

First round:
1. Rasmus Dahlin, D (taken 1st by Buffalo)
2. Andrei Svechnikov, RW (taken 2nd by Carolina)
3. Quinn Hughes, D (taken 7th by Vancouver)
4. Brady Tkachuk, LW (taken 4th by Ottawa)
5. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C (taken 3rd by Montreal)

This one from Feb 2021 has him at #2 over all with expectations that he could jump to #1 https://morning-skate.com/2021/02/16/15035/

Only reason Dahlin is still #1 is cause of his draft pedigree.  Svech and Hughes are clearly #1 and 2.  Only reason Svech is probably number 1 over Hughes is because of Hughes bad year last year while Svech has been consistent.  Hughes has a better PPG than Svechnikov as a defenseman.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

How many of his assists have been on Brock or Petey goals?  Once they get their kit together you'll see Huggy Bear's numbers skyrocket 

Came here to say something similar.  We are 28th in GF, I see us as at least middle of the pack but one that could easily be a lot higher than that.

Quinn will finish a ppg or better if the team starts to score at the level it should be.

Kid is amazing. 

• Like 1

Amidst his stronger defensive start, it seems to me that not everyone has realized how hot Quinn has been offensively this year too. He's not scoring goals so far, but he's on pace for 71 points in 82 games and scoring at the highest rate of his short career thus far. He's on pace to set the Canucks record for assists and points by a defenseman, the former of which is a record that's about 45 years old, set by Dennis Kearns in 1976-77 with 55 assists. Not only that, but he's on pace to destroy the record with 66 assists this year.

Hughes is 2nd in the NHL in assists-per-game among defenseman, second to only Adam Fox and 1st in primary assists-per-game.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Amidst his stronger defensive start, it seems to me that not everyone has realized how hot Quinn has been offensively this year too. He's not scoring goals so far, but he's on pace for 71 points in 82 games and scoring at the highest rate of his short career thus far. He's on pace to set the Canucks record for assists and points by a defenseman, the former of which is a record that's about 45 years old, set by Dennis Kearns in 1976-77 with 55 assists. Not only that, but he's on pace to destroy the record with 66 assists this year.

Hughes is 2nd in the NHL in assists-per-game among defenseman, second to only Adam Fox and 1st in primary assists-per-game.

Tied for 4th in the NHL defensemen scoring. When Brisbois went off last night John and John said Hughes would be looking at a 30 minute night. He played about 23. Not sure why but bottom line it spoke well for the team defence.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Did a fun little quick test of "the best playmakers in the NHL right now" and I was happily surprised to see Hughes finish 7th. Only Fox was higher ranked as a defenseman.

Hughes is a fabulous player.  As Petey and others heat up, Hughes will even get more points.  Huggy Bear could easily be a PPG player, while being a plus too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Did a fun little quick test of "the best playmakers in the NHL right now" and I was happily surprised to see Hughes finish 7th. Only Fox was higher ranked as a defenseman.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is a fabulous player.  As Petey and others heat up, Hughes will even get more points.  Huggy Bear could easily be a PPG player, while being a plus too.  

Best player on the Canucks not named Thatcher Demko.

Having posted a plus 9 on a sub 500 team, those screaming about Huggy's defensive woes have been awfully silent. 

Benning did a fine job leaving a franchise goalie and defenceman.  Rutherford and co's big task will be finding a franchise centreman.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Best player on the Canucks not named Thatcher Demko.

Having posted a plus 9 on a sub 500 team, those screaming about Huggy's defensive woes have been awfully silent. 

Benning did a fine job leaving a franchise goalie and defenceman.  Rutherford and co's big task will be finding a franchise centreman.

You’re not convinced that franchise centreman isn’t Pettersson? I know he’s had a rough start to this season. 

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You’re not convinced that franchise centreman isn’t Pettersson? I know he’s had a rough start to this season. 

I think Petey can maybe get there, but he's kind of fringe for a franchise centreman as of now. Most great teams (strong playoff teams) have a guy who can put up 90+ points a year. Petey's been close to a point-per-game a few times, but never surpassed it.

29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Petey can maybe get there, but he's kind of fringe for a franchise centreman as of now. Most great teams (strong playoff teams) have a guy who can put up 90+ points a year. Petey's been close to a point-per-game a few times, but never surpassed it.

He did in his only playoffs albeit it was a short sample size showing what his potential could be. 

He was one of the more prominent, and few, forwards in the Vegas series. 

Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah. He's still only 23 years old. He's still a young guy, as of today. But your right, most players when they get close to 24/25 years old - what you see is what you get on the ice and their performance. Then again, we did have a pair of Swedes that didn't break out offensively until their late 20's in Danny and Hank. I think Pettersson has potential to be an 80-90 point player in his prime years. I'm not sure if he's a 100 point player, though...

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He did in his only playoffs albeit it was a short sample size showing what his potential could be. 

He was one of the more prominent, and few, forwards in the Vegas series. 

Time will tell. 

I would agree that in the 2020 playoffs, we did see a franchise centreman. Let's hope he can sustain that at some point.