The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not really high on this guy.  I wanted the local boy Kevin Bahl instead.  Alexander Romanov was taken one pick later by Montreal and has already played 133 NHL games.

Kevin Bahl is gonna be a beauty.  6'6" 230 pounds and can skate.  This is one time we should have taken the local kid...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Lol.

Canucks fans had too high expectations of a prospect?      
Nahhhhhhhh.   Couldn’t be.   
lol

Yeah there's a lot of that going around these days  :lol:, unwarranted and speculative unfounded optimism.

I understand why he was moved to forward late in the season along with fellow D and ex Vancouver Giant Alex Kannok Liepert, Abby was hit hard with call ups and injuries to front line forwards and they found themselves short of bodies. But at least Cull managed to find a way to keep Woo in the lineup even if the experiment didn't really pan out. Woo never really adjusted to the position shift and wound up sort of playing defense out there anyway. Skating would be his strong suit so you can sort understand their thinking even it if didn't work.

I personally thought the right call for the playoffs was to move Jett back to the third pairing along side Sautner or Brisebois but then, no one is paying me the big bucks to make these calls. Still, it was kind of puzzling to see him out there playing forward in the playoffs with other, better options available. 

• Vintage 1

Trent Cull on Jett Woo: “For Jett Woo, we felt like we were getting stronger on our back end, I brought him in and asked him to [play forward] for the team, so to speak. We wanted to try to fill a forechecking role. Jett, when he gets moving is a guy who skates well, and can have a physical edge.”

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Trent Cull on Jett Woo: “For Jett Woo, we felt like we were getting stronger on our back end, I brought him in and asked him to [play forward] for the team, so to speak. We wanted to try to fill a forechecking role. Jett, when he gets moving is a guy who skates well, and can have a physical edge.”

The bold part concerns me. Given that this guy has not really materialized, this part of the quote makes one wonder if there are more times than not where hr doesn’t “get moving”. My take on Jett Woo is that he doesn’t not have the fire in him to be a pro. Such a shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

The bold part concerns me. Given that this guy has not really materialized, this part of the quote makes one wonder if there are more times than not where hr doesn’t “get moving”. My take on Jett Woo is that he doesn’t not have the fire in him to be a pro. Such a shame.

I had read that as he doesn’t have very good acceleration, but once he’s going he has decent speed and can take the body. But truthfully I haven’t really watched him play. I always wanted to see him succeed. The “WOO” cheers would have been so fun! Hopefully he still pans out…

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The name Jett IMO attracted attention. I don't know any one called Jett. It stood out to be but would a kid named Jeff stand out, nope

I know a kid named Jet Black

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The name Jett IMO attracted attention. I don't know any one called Jett. It stood out to be but would a kid named Jeff stand out, nope

You think a unique name was the difference between him going relatively high in the draft rather than not drafted at all? That’s a hot take if I’ve ever seen one. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

You think a unique name was the difference between him going relatively high in the draft rather than not drafted at all? That’s a hot take if I’ve ever seen one. 

I warned you :P

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I see you are getting some flack for this post

but

it is Jim Benning we are talking about

maybe he didn't draft him because his name was Jett

rather because his name is Woo

and it would sound really cool when they anounce a goal followed by the "WOOOO"

On 4/16/2022 at 9:11 AM, D.B Cooper said:

How about no.   
He is a defence.  Let him play defence.  
If he can’t beat out the likes of Poolman and Hunt……. Guess what.   
He isn’t good enough to play in the NHL.  
Oh well.  Move on.
He isn’t going to be better at forward than the prospects who have spent their whole life playing the position.  

BUT

He is only 21.   He hasn’t shown much, so my expectations are low, but he is still super young and has time to develop.  

Furthermore, he's a RHD. You can't give up on those by making them 4th line forwards.

8 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Furthermore, he's a RHD. You can't give up on those by making them 4th line forwards.

Why not?  Clearly the new management sees Woo's path to our big club as a fourth line sandpaper, PK kind of guy.  We need those players too.