The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Fans loved Schenn for his hitting and willingness to step in for team mates. He topped that off with some offence. Your concerns about speed is well taken. I rather the Canucks invest Schenn's TOI in younger prospects who will be on the team when they contend for a Cup 2 years from now. 

Yeah I love Schenn too. I'm sure he's also great in the room. I agree it's more important to have on ice skilled quality in there and someone who can hopefully contribute during a good playoff run.

Edited by Gawdzukes

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I love Schenn too. I'm sure he's also great in the room. I agree it's more important to have on ice skilled quality in there and someone who can hopefully contribute during a good playoff run.

Tocchet made an interesting observation recently, "I'd take hockey IQ over skill"

• Thanks 1

A strong calder cup playoffs might be able to put him back on the map as a legitimate defense prospect. 

I could see him getting games next season in Vancouver as a call up should he continue his development. Still needs to get a touch quicker with the puck in his own zone, but areas such as his skating, passing, stickhandling, and reads in all three zones have drastically improved this season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 4/10/2023 at 12:58 PM, Fred65 said:

Tocchet made an interesting observation recently, "I'd take hockey IQ over skill"

Yeah I get it. You can teach guys with high IQ and get on the same page. Not always the same with skill. Sometimes all the skill in the world is wasted because they still don't play the game the right way. A guy playing a role can be more effective than a more skilled guy doing his own thing out there. I think this is what's going on with Kuzmenko. He's tremendously skilled but Tocchet is trying to instill the kind of game that matters and wins when it counts.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I get it. You can teach guys with high IQ and get on the same page. Not always the same with skill. Sometimes all the skill in the world is wasted because they still don't play the game the right way. A guy playing a role can be more effective than a more skilled guy doing his own thing out there. I think this is what's going on with Kuzmenko. He's tremendously skilled but Tocchet is trying to instill the kind of game that matters and wins when it counts.

Funny thing with kuzmenk i he's a plus player, unlike JT or BB who are minus 7 annd 16 respectively and yet never miss a shift. Maybe kuzmenko is helped by playing with EP. who's a plus 16

On 4/10/2023 at 11:58 AM, Fred65 said:

That just makes me think of Virtanen. All the natural ability in the world but no brain to go with it. Also Goldobin who would never commit to developing the defensive side.

I take it to mean that first and foremost he wants players that are coachable. I think Woo is which should bode well for his continued development. He's always struck me as a hardworking guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

That just makes me think of Virtanen. All the natural ability in the world but no brain to go with it. Also Goldobin who would never commit to developing the defensive side.

I take it to mean that first and foremost he wants players that are coachable. I think Woo is which should bode well for his continued development. He's always struck me as a hardworking guy.

Woo brings a lot, but the Canucks have been loading up on right side guys: Hronek, Bear, we still have Myers, Johansson, Juulsen, Burroughs, and now maybe McWard.  Though Woo brings something that might endear him to Tocchet: he hits harder than most guys that are three inches taller and thirty pounds heavier… and he has been really active on both O&D this year.

Of course, as we know, injuries happen to thin the ranks of the hopeful.

• Cheers 3

I'm going to try and be patient with Jett. I keep reminding myself that KB3, the player I see as the best possible outcome for Woo, didn't play his first NHL game until age 24. The season starting this coming fall will be Woo's 23 year old season, so he still has time to improve, make the team and turn into an impactful player (hopefully). 

I also remind myself to remind myself (Inception lol) that if we are lucky enough for him to develop in to a player that actually makes the team, that KB3's first ten games resulted in a stat line of 1 assist and -6 with 15:24 ATOI. So I'm not going to expect too much of him too soon if he makes it.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Woo brings a lot, but the Canucks have been loading up on right side guys: Hronek, Bear, we still have Myers, Johansson, Juulsen, Burroughs, and now maybe McWard.  Though Woo brings something that might endear him to Tocchet: he hits harder than most guys that are three inches taller and thirty pounds heavier… and he has been really active on both O&D this year.

Of course, as we know, injuries happen to thin the ranks of the hopeful.

We know the Canucks want to get bigger and more aggressive. That should benefit Woo. I don't see Bear, Meyers or Burroughs as long term. Wouldn't be surprised if they were all gone by next October. I want to see a longer look at Juulsen. McWard to Abby. Excited to see Johansson. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We know the Canucks want to get bigger and more aggressive. That should benefit Woo. I don't see Bear, Meyers or Burroughs as long term. Wouldn't be surprised if they were all gone by next October. I want to see a longer look at Juulsen. McWard to Abby. Excited to see Johansson. 

Woo is playing great for Abby. We know Hughes will carry his partner. A bigger, meaner guy would be nice for Quinn. I see us having this top four opening night next season:

Hughes, Woo

Hronek, Hirose

OEL and Myers will both be gone. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I hope they extend Burroughs. He is surprisingly physical. I'm not really into physical defenseman (nor am I against them), but he's been a very nice addition to an NHL lineup.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I hope they extend Burroughs. He is surprisingly physical. I'm not really into physical defenseman (nor am I against them), but he's been a very nice addition to an NHL lineup.

I tend to think Burroughs might flourish under the Tocchet regime. He'll have a defined role nothing complicated

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think Myers is gone. He is trade-able to a low cap team as he is definitely serviceable as a 2 or 3 RHD on a lower half team, especially since he will only cost 1 mil in cash. I think Bear stays unless his money demands are too high. Mobile, low cost, RHD, are at a premium. I think Woo might replace Burroughs’ toughness. Juulsen is a question mark, but I think Johansson is the leading RHD contender as management and scouting like him a lot.

It’s an admittedly short sample, but I think Hirose will take the 2 LD spot unless ownership balks on buying out OEL. Wolanin will be 3D… if no OEL. If OEL’s problems were entirely medical, and ownership balks at a buyout, then I think Hirose makes the 3LD over Wolanin. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Unless Bear prices himself out, I think the Canucks keep him. I see Myers as gone, Hronek hopefully healthy (nice alliteration there). That leaves the third RH spot up for grabs (if Poolman returns from LTIR or Dermott is not re-signed) with Johansson as the leading contender (management is very high on him), then Juulsen and Burroughs. McWard has not yet ‘misout of contention, and Woo. Woo definitely is an outsider with a hill to climb.

Left side is problematic; Hughes, some people think OEL can still play and that we shouldn’t buy him out (I am not one of those people), Wolanin?, and I think Hirose is the real deal. Beyond that the organization is thin on immediate help on the left side (Dermott?), but with at least two decent futures out of Pettersson, Kudryavtsev, Jurmo, and Truscott.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Woo is playing great for Abby. We know Hughes will carry his partner. A bigger, meaner guy would be nice for Quinn. I see us having this top four opening night next season:

Hughes, Woo

Hronek, Hirose

This seems unlikely to me, but maybe one day. 

Woo I would have liked to see get a couple games this season with Van, but not a big issue. Next season I think he'll mainly be in Abby again unless he has a monster training camp. Then throughout the season maybe he makes it up for a handful of games due to injuries. 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, Woo

Hronek, Hirose

I don’t want to disparage Myers work with Canucks because I think he gave us whatever it was he had. You can’t criticize his effort, and nobody forced JB to pay him six mil per. That he was mistake prone was known before we acquired him, and it did not help that neither Green nor Boudreau gave us great defensive structure. 

Unlike some on this site, I won’t miss OEL. If he was awful this year BECAUSE he was hurt, then why did he play? He was entirely a liability. If we buy out OEL and manage to shed Myers cap hit, it will clear up nearly 13 mil for next year. The next year the OEL saving is only just under five mil, but only 2.5 mil for each of the next two years, then it’s four years of 2.1 mil cap hit. 

But, moving on from Myers and OEL creates spaces for our young guys - if they can make the grade- uncluding it creates a space for Woo to shoot for.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I think Myers is gone. He is trade-able to a low cap team as he is definitely serviceable as a 2 or 3 RHD on a lower half team, especially since he will only cost 1 mil in cash. I think Bear stays unless his money demands are too high. Mobile, low cost, RHD, are at a premium. I think Woo might replace Burroughs’ toughness. Juulsen is a question mark, but I think Johansson is the leading RHD contender as management and scouting like him a lot.

It’s an admittedly short sample, but I think Hirose will take the 2 LD spot unless ownership balks on buying out OEL. Wolanin will be 3D… if no OEL. If OEL’s problems were entirely medical, and ownership balks at a buyout, then I think Hirose makes the 3LD over Wolanin. 

I think this is the only way to stomache a OEL buyout, is if you have two league min players playing that 2/3LD that you are comfortable with. If Hirose can take that 2LD spot, then great. Otherwise I think OEL stays. And just my opinion but I think Brisebois earns 3LD over Wolanin.

Hughes

OEL/Hirose

Hirose/Brisebois 

Brisebois/Wolanin/Rathbone.

Woo on the right would be awesome. I’d love to see him get in some games at the NHL level, want to hear those “WOOOO”s from the fans!

3 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

And just my opinion but I think Brisebois earns 3LD over Wolanin.

Hughes

OEL/Hirose

Hirose/Brisebois 

Brisebois/Wolanin/Rathbone.

Woo on the right would be awesome. 

Agreed on Brisebois over Wolanin mostly because we are in a DESPERATE need for d-men that can play the penalty kill.  

I know that Juulsen has been the main PKer on the right side, anybody know if Woo has gotten much PK time?