The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

There is basically zero chance any of those guys will be sitting in the press box as 7-8 D. They need to keep developing. To do so, they need to play. They either make the starting 6 or they're back to their respective developmental leagues.

I expect next season's dcorp to very much resemble this seasons, but I think all the young dmen might get some time on the big club.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

I expect next season's dcorp to very much resemble this seasons, but I think all the young dmen might get some time on the big club.

Having Quinn Hughes will drastically change the roles for each of our current D.  One phenom can make a huge difference to a team's forwards (see Pettersson).  The same is true for the D.  We are Cup contenders with Pettersson and Hughes both playing.  They are both game changers.  

Those who don't accept this truism, are either not really Canuck's fans (you probably route for the Leafs, :sick: or you don't understand the game.)

• Cheers 4

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Having Quinn Hughes will drastically change the roles for each of our current D.  One phenom can make a huge difference to a team's forwards (see Pettersson).  The same is true for the D.  We are Cup contenders with Pettersson and Hughes both playing.  They are both game changers.  

Those who don't accept this truism, are either not really Canuck's fans (you probably route for the Leafs, :sick: or you don't understand the game.)

Hughes may need a bit of time to adjust, let's be patient with him. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, therodigy said:

I'm definitely coming from a very conservative POV. However, with our lack of depth on the right side, it's a good possibility that Woo can surprise and go beyond 9 games next year as well. My concern is whether or not he's being rushed a la Virtanen and McCann in 2015. One way to find out though, right?

Feet to the fire.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:18 PM, Alflives said:

I would say we're probably in the playoffs w/ Hughes, but both him an Pettersson still need to develop into their potential for us to be cup contenders. I feel like we've yet to see the best from Pettersson.

• Like 1

Just now, westcoastsniper said:

I would say we're probably in the playoffs w/ Hughes, but both him an Pettersson still need to develop into their potential for us to be cup contenders. I feel like we've yet to see the best from Pettersson.

The both of these guys are going to improve, and that’s super exciting.  They are both hyper compete guys, who will want to be the best on the team.  This will make them both even better, and pull along the next level of guys (Bo, Brock) too.  I haven’t been this positive about a Canuck’s coming decade ever.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The both of these guys are going to improve, and that’s super exciting.  They are both hyper compete guys, who will want to be the best on the team.  This will make them both even better, and pull along the next level of guys (Bo, Brock) too.  I haven’t been this positive about a Canuck’s coming decade ever.  

Still a long way to go but we have at least one position covered. Our centre depth may end up being the best in the NHL in 3-4years with Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette and Madden!

• Like 3

On 1/29/2019 at 8:50 AM, aGENT said:

There is basically zero chance any of those guys will be sitting in the press box as 7-8 D. They need to keep developing. To do so, they need to play. They either make the starting 6 or they're back to their respective developmental leagues.

On 1/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, therodigy said:

I'm definitely coming from a very conservative POV. However, with our lack of depth on the right side, it's a good possibility that Woo can surprise and go beyond 9 games next year as well. My concern is whether or not he's being rushed a la Virtanen and McCann in 2015. One way to find out though, right?

IF he shows that he is close to NHL-ready I wouldn't be opposed to Jett Woo having an extended training camp and even get a 9-game stint at the start of the season. Have him rotate in and out of the lineup so he can experience the pace of the NHL -- both on the ice and up high -- and so he can get quality practice time, instruction, and mentoring from the world's best coaches, training staff, and players.

Can you imagine Gudbranson giving Woo pointers on how to fight (no one in the WHL would dare touch him in that case)? Or seeing the professionalism of Edler and Tanev? Or trying his best to emulate some of Hughes' offensive game in practice? Or going stride-for-stride against Horvat and Pettersson? 

That said, management should definitely send him down afterwards so he can develop in a 25+min/game #1D role with the Warriors. Nothing like marinating a prospect, but giving that prospect a short opportunity to experience and learn from the NHL will do him wonders for his development.

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

IF he shows that he is close to NHL-ready I wouldn't be opposed to Jett Woo having an extended training camp and even get a 9-game stint at the start of the season. Have him rotate in and out of the lineup so he can experience the pace of the NHL -- both on the ice and up high -- and so he can get quality practice time, instruction, and mentoring from the world's best coaches, training staff, and players.

Can you imagine Gudbranson giving Woo pointers on how to fight (no one in the WHL would dare touch him in that case)? Or seeing the professionalism of Edler and Tanev? Or trying his best to emulate some of Hughes' offensive game in practice? Or going stride-for-stride against Horvat and Pettersson? 

That said, management should definitely send him down afterwards so he can develop in a 25+min/game #1D role with the Warriors. Nothing like marinating a prospect, but giving that prospect a short opportunity to experience and learn from the NHL will do him wonders for his development.

Woo has the kind of energy that could do well with some pro minutes.  If anything keep him for nine games spred out and let him soak up the knowledge and experience of the show.  

He can even get a conditioning stint in the AHL ala Bo and still be good for Jr I think.  

Send him back pre Jr WC if he doesn't stick.  Woo could make one of our current d men tradable by next season.  

11 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Woo has the kind of energy that could do well with some pro minutes.  If anything keep him for nine games spred out and let him soak up the knowledge and experience of the show.  

He can even get a conditioning stint in the AHL ala Bo and still be good for Jr I think.  

Send him back pre Jr WC if he doesn't stick.  Woo could make one of our current d men tradable by next season.  

Bo got a conditioning stint because he was injured. If Woo isn't injured, he isn't getting a conditioning stint.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Can you imagine Gudbranson giving Woo pointers on how to fight (no one in the WHL would dare touch him in that case)? 

Ugh I wouldn't want woo becoming a fighter lol but I agree with most of the rest :p

11 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Bo got a conditioning stint because he was injured. If Woo isn't injured, he isn't getting a conditioning stint.

Woo, take a knee...  

This happens all the time.  They want to have him get some pro pay checks and pro coaching and conditioning but not burn an ELC year then they give him the Bo treatment.  

On 1/30/2019 at 10:57 PM, Blömqvist said:

It's a nice idea but it doesn't really take in to consideration things like roster limits and waivers.

The kids still young, another year in the 2nd hardest position in the game, developing, is not going to do him harm. He's very promising and developing well this year but that doesn't mean he's still got a lot to learn before he's in the NHL. Particularly playing the way he does.

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's a nice idea but it doesn't really take in to consideration things like roster limits and waivers.

The kids still young, another year in the 2nd hardest position in the game, developing, is not going to do him harm. He's very promising and developing well this year but that doesn't mean he's still got a lot to learn before he's in the NHL. Particularly playing the way he does.

Other than his meteoric rise in the production numbers, which is very exciting, I'm most encouraged by his staying healthy.

The biggest knock on him, going into the draft, was his injury history. Him staying healthy and proving he's durable could turn him into the steal of the 2018 draft.

Going into that draft, I didn't have Woo on my radar but I can say with certainty, he's on it now. 

Love this pick.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Other than his meteoric rise in the production numbers, which is very exciting, I'm most encouraged by his staying healthy.

The biggest knock on him, going into the draft, was his injury history. Him staying healthy and proving he's durable could turn him into the steal of the 2018 draft.

Going into that draft, I didn't have Woo on my radar but I can say with certainty, he's on it now. 

Love this pick.

Woo was on my all name team and on my list of guys that I hoped would drop to our second rounder.  

Wilde and Miller were the other two, Miller is really exciting and Wilde might be a little too wild off ice.  

Woo was under the radar as his injury and the teams subsequent moves to shore up their d while he was injured went along way to hiding his potential.  

I am.not surprised that he is having such a good year.  The guy is a stud d man.  Hughes is other worldly but Woo is the pick I was most excited about.  Our future top pairing found in the same draft.  Awesome.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Woo was on my all name team and on my list of guys that I hoped would drop to our second rounder.  

Wilde and Miller were the other two, Miller is really exciting and Wilde might be a little too wild off ice.  

Woo was under the radar as his injury and the teams subsequent moves to shore up their d while he was injured went along way to hiding his potential.  

I am.not surprised that he is having such a good year.  The guy is a stud d man.  Hughes is other worldly but Woo is the pick I was most excited about.  Our future top pairing found in the same draft.  Awesome.

suter-weber 2.0?