The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

16 hours ago, Fred65 said:

At some point the Woo brigade will need to acknowledge he isn't the player management has hoped for. You can't get so attached, clubs get over so must the fans

11 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Too many  fans always find hope in draft picks, to me it's a sort of cop out, the grass is always greener etc etc If you draft in the top 5/10 that's a reasonable premise, lessor spot is a hope. Neeley was a shocker and Tom Watt was the conductor :lol:

Why do you care so much about what various fans are thinking?  If people want to cry about losing Forsling or wanti

to hang onto whatever player, it doesn't have any influence on the final roster of the Canucks.

Woo's ELC will end after the coming season, so the management will decide at that point. 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

We need to do the opposite of what Benning did.  Identify early, while a prospect still has value, and trade them.  Vey and Baer cost us seconds.  Don’t know what Woo is worth, but it is likely time to move him.  We might have actually missed any chance at getting value for him.  

Haven't you heard the JR story about keeping Blueger in the AHL for 4 years before joining the big club? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

How about the Derlago/Vaive trade to Toronto for Tiger/Butler? Nobody ever talks about that trade. Another trade that set the Canucks back on a long term basis (though Williams and Butler did contribute to the 1982 cup run of a sub-.500 team).

Canucks have a long history of ridding themselves of players that they've failed to develop properly. 

And getting rid of Woo at this stage without giving him the tools to develop ("dumperoo" as some dumbass is saying) would be simply repeating what this team has done historically.  You know who does that?  Mediocre organizations, which the Canucks had become under Bennng's watch.  It's time for the Canucks to be an elite organization.

YOu are correct, and the Bob Dailey trade can be thrown in there as well

but those deals did not affect the Canuck Fans' Psyche like the Neely deal.

I am surprised there is not more talk about Woo being moved to the wing

Who were the 6 D-men to play ahead of him in the final game?

Who was his D partner when he did play defense?

I don't watch Abby games, so I do not have a feel for Woo's progress or abilities.

But a 21 year old RHD does not seem like the piece to "Dumperoo"

unless he has unfixable issues.

Good teams do get rid of draft mistakes early while they still have value 

There has not been much movement of players from the 2018 draft

but several from the 2017

# 2 pick, Nolan Patrick has been traded twice, the second time for  #6 Glass

Owen Tippett was traded from "Win Now" FLA, given they are out already, that move might come back and bite them

Vegas is all over this list, having traded 3 first round picks, Glass, Suzuki and Brannstrom

Vegas being a "Win Now" team since their inception seem to be proving your point

Glass, Suzuki and Brannstrom could turn out to be Vaive, Derlago and Dailey all from the same year.

Norris for Karlsson already hurts and looks to for years to come

Finally Jokiharju for 2016 first rounder Nylander seems to be working better for Buffalo.  as Nylander has been traded again, this time for a 4th rounder

Moving to the second round (Canucks only) Lind and Gadjovich were lost to expansion draft and waivers respectively, showing what happens when you hold a player too long and get nothing in return

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

How much chat do you want?

Jett was temporarily moved to wing, when Abbottsford was extremely short of wingers.

When the team got healthy/had players returned from the NHL, Woo went back to defense.

not much to chat about really.

exactly right, and I posted an article about that. And, it was because they lost some fast physical wingers and Woo was / is the only guy who could replace that against a very physical team. Basically, Cull figured, I need some toughness up front for this initial round, who is tough and can forecheck. It had nothing to do with him unable to play D. Woo was also coming back off injury and often you may not want to tamper with your D pairs going into playoffs.

In fact, until his injury he has been progressing quite well.

People may want to think back a bit too, a certain physical dman who turned out pretty damn amazing, played a few games on wing for the Canucks...his name was Kevin Bieksa.

There were also some all stars who've done the same, Dustin Byfuglein, Brent Burns etc.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, NucknAsia said:

I find it interesting the same people saying get rid of a 21 year old RD who's physical and still learning, are the same people crying about Forsling. They seem to be lacking a bit of self awareness when it comes to their own arguments.

Forsling has been on 3 teams he was on his last chance in Florida. 

Exactly 

Look at Devon Toews, the Avs' d-man being widely praised now.  He didn't make the NHL until he was 24. 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, NucknAsia said:

You don't "Dumperoo" physical RD who are 21, and developing when you lack RD prospects.

Its interesting the same person who said the Canucks have given up on Woo on D, never responded to my post of an article showing that's not the truth.

Dumperoo hey?  Where have I heard that before...  

surprised steve urkel GIF

I'm convinced now that you and @Alflives are the same person.  

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly 

Look at Devon Toews, the Avs' d-man being widely praised now.  He didn't make the NHL until he was 24. 

Dumperoo hey?  Where have I heard that before...  

surprised steve urkel GIF

I'm convinced now that you and @Alflives are the same person.  

Jameel White ; a very under appreciated thespian master! 

Comedic genius I say!

happy dance GIF by HULU

Edited by Hairy Kneel

1 hour ago, mordekai said:

Jett has to start playing more on defence than being a forward

Great point, how many games was Woo  stuck as a forward; it must have been as many as 5 or 6. And all done just because of of injuries, and promotions to some of the Abbottsford forwards too. Horrible use of talent.                                            :P 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, mordekai said:

Jett has to start playing more on defence than being a forward. Everyone is proposing trades to other teams second rounder defencemen and here we have one that we need to develop to play with hughes or OEL.

Totally agree. IMO the org was so desperate to make playoffs that Woo suffered the fallout as he was bumped up to forward. Not making the playoffs was a big loss for player development. 

• Vintage 2

Hang on, let's not overblow the whole Jett Woo as a forward situation. 

Wasn't he injured for a while? 

Didn't Abby go on it's most successful run of the season during that time, as in a 9 game winning streak? 

So Jett Woo came back for 2 games after and was inserted as a forward to keep the D pairings the same and add more physicality. 

That's my understanding but I welcome someone with different information correcting me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wagner has relegated him to tier 6 (bottom tier) in his Prospect Pyramid...

Jett Woo has come crashing down the pyramid over the years since he was drafted. The throwback defenceman has struggled in the AHL, even getting moved to play forward on the fourth line at times last season. 

Woo was once the Canucks’ top prospect on the right side on defence with a physical defensive game that made him a pain to play against. His derailed development is a red flag for the Canucks’ AHL development but it also goes to show that not every prospect turns out the way you expect.

The only thing keeping Woo out of the bottom tier is the hope that the Canucks can rescue his development under a new development department and new AHL head coach. We’ll see what next season holds for the 22-year-old defenceman.