The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

There's a lot to dissect there:

1) Lafreniere and Byfield look incredible for next year. It looks like it could be similar to a McDavid - Eichel situation with two franchise (or better) forwards available at the top of the draft. 

2) Kaliyev, Kakko and Byram have he best translation numbers in this draft. Kaliyev with the highest raw total, Kakko in the highest level of competition and Byram playing the most important position. I'm still wary of Kaliyev, but the numbers are high end.

3) Makar and Q. Hughes have been neck and neck all year, but Makar has pulled ahead recently. 

4) Adding another mid 1st and taking the right guy could be a great boost for our prospect pool. 5 players on the list were taken after 15th overall and the majority of the list wasn't drafted in the 1st round.

To your first point, that is one of the reasons why i am against any proposal to trade the 2020 first. There are players like raymond, holtz, and lundell who are looking like game breakers too in that draft.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:45 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

More and more I get the feeling that this is the year that Benning HAS to acquire another 1st rounder. Our rebuild would be much further along if we hit on a mid 1st from any of the last three drafts (any of Fabbro, McAvoy, Smith, Vakanainen, Foote, Brannstrom, Chychrun, Cholowski or Vaalimaki could have been ours and that's just looking at the defensemen). With the draft being in Vancouver this year, Benning might feel extra pressure to make a splash. Some combination of moving Tanev + taking back a cap dump should be able to get it done. The dream (at least for me) would be to land Soderstrom with that acquired pick. 

Been saying that for a while. They need more high end prospects in the system.

I would prefer that they didn't sign any UFAs this summer and keep building through the draft. If they do sign UFAs I hope it's short term high salary and then flip them at the trade deadline for picks and prospects. Take some bad contracts on that have 2-3 years left for picks.

It's that time of year where I start looking past this season and to the draft. It was a nice run for the playoffs while it lasted. It sure would be neat to draft in a spot that gets us Byram. Or even better in the top 2. I personally lean towards Kakko, but the Hughes and Hughes connection is pretty neat too. I am starting to get curious about the 2nd and 3rd rounds though. Since it doesn't seem like we're gonna be drafting twice in the 1st round, so our 2nd and 3rd rounders are super important to get some hits on.

• Upvote 3

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, Zoolander said:

One UFA signing and one puckmover (Byram) makes this team's future so much better on paper.

Panarin

Plus one Zooey!

Apologies for mentioning in a draft thread? But man the speed and pop of Panarins agility, trading pucks with Hughes and Petey??? It would be insane!

Add Byram, who can also skate, play big minutes, makes great decisions, calculated plays...

I think Byram will be gone before we pick based on his production and lack of highly rated Defenceman this draft. 

I’m fine with that, would prefer a highly skilled winger and it’s looking like we are going to have our pick of the best wingers this draft 

edit: was listening to 1040 a while ago to a draft analyst ( forget which one ) and he said compared to last year Byram would have went in the 10-15 range with the amount of solid defenders that year 

( put him in the same category of Bouchard, behind Hughes and Dobson ) 

Edited by Off_The_Schneid!

I do analytics tracking for the Everett Silvertips during their games since January, and having watched majority of their games, I think a D-man Canucks can try and target at the 3rd or 4th round is Gianni Fairbrother. He is a good skater, effective in carrying the puck in zone entries. He is a September b-day, which means after this year's draft he can return to WHL for another season then he would be AHL eligible. I could see him eventually develop into a top 4 NHL D-man.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/350216/gianni-fairbrother

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Anybody else kinda want Byram more than Kakko or Hughes?

Byram is the full package here. He can score goals from the back-end, he provides pushback and grit, his skating is elite, he can QB the power-play, he can do everything.

Hughes wouldn't be bad at all, he would add more speed and skill for sure to our offense, though his size is questionable. 

Kakko doesn't necessarily entice me, maybe it's because I haven't watched a whole lot of him, but he's listed as a RW, we've got a lot of that. 

I have Byram just behind those two. If I'm picking 3rd overall I'm selecting Byram.

if the season ended now, we would be picking from

hughes, kakko, podkolzin, cozens, dach, byram, krebs, boldy, turcotte and broberg.

depending where our pick is. who does the canucks believe who the BPA is? 

earlier when the canucks were doing better, benning said that where they pick, there will be some good d-men available. does that mean he is going for a d man or BPA?

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Anybody else kinda want Byram more than Kakko or Hughes?

Byram is the full package here. He can score goals from the back-end, he provides pushback and grit, his skating is elite, he can QB the power-play, he can do everything.

Hughes wouldn't be bad at all, he would add more speed and skill for sure to our offense, though his size is questionable. 

Kakko doesn't necessarily entice me, maybe it's because I haven't watched a whole lot of him, but he's listed as a RW, we've got a lot of that. 

I have Byram just behind those two. If I'm picking 3rd overall I'm selecting Byram.

It's definitely because you haven't watched him enough. 

Any Canucks fan would dream or a Kakko - Pettersson - Boeser line. Even sticking him with Horvat would provide 2 big, skilled players on offense. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It's definitely because you haven't watched him enough. 

Any Canucks fan would dream or a Kakko - Pettersson - Boeser line. Even sticking him with Horvat would provide 2 big, skilled players on offense. 

If we luck into Kakko then Id shift Boeser down to horvat as they've played well together before. Kakko can help to create more space on the first line. Next year we could see

Leivo-Pettersson-Kakko

Goldy-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Trade/Waive Sutter, Eriksson, Granlund, Schaller, Spooner.

Thats a decent forward lineup but we need massive improvement on the back end. Including getting some more top 4 guys that aren't injury prone.

• Like 1

Lavoie 

Scouting Report

A puck-possessing machine with speed, size and excellent awareness in the offensive zone, Lavoie is a versatile forward who can wear many hats from start to finish. He owns an excellent shot, both for its quick release and also for its velocity, and Lavoie’s penchant for creating his own chances expands the ice for his linemates. By keeping his feet moving while operating with his head on a swivel, Lavoie keeps opponents guessing and rarely do you see him make a telegraphed play that eventually traps him well beyond the location of the puck. He is a controlled and patient stickhandler who looks to incorporate the rest of his teammates into every cycle, and his keen vision and pass accuracy in tight spaces or off the rush allow him to play the role of playmaker with aplomb.

Lavoie is a very good skater with above-average straight line speed and enough agility to weave around or fake opponents out of position. He is extremely strong on his skates and can sustain shoves or checks from multiple angles during a cycle, using his long reach and wide stance to shield the puck. He also is a capable player in his own end and pounces on pucks in a timely manner. Lavoie comes across as a smart player who is willing to make sacrifices for team success, such as taking a beating in front of the net or using his body to absorb punishment in order to keep a play alive. He can play center or wing, although he looks more comfortable on the flank as a primary shooting option.