The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

@UticaHockeyYou said:

So if the AHL is going to be run as a business then developing a couple prospects each season as you defined it cannot be the only objective even if it is the primary objective.  There is also a need to put an entertaining and successful product on the ice.

Evidence shows that the Comets are not run like a business.  I put in numbers because I'm not one to make idle speculations or assumptions.  The Canucks do not need to put an entertaining product on ice because ticket revenue is not the reason they own the Comets. 

The primary purpose of a business is to make money.  That is literally the difference between a private business and a nonprofit, or a hobby.  This is how the IRS characterize a business (per TurboTax):

Practical standard for business classification

The general rule is that if you have not turned a profit in at least three of the prior five years, the IRS will categorize your business as a hobby. This may be extended to a profit in two of the prior seven years in the specific case of horse training, breeding or racing. This is, presumably, because these endeavors involve a great amount of risk.

Canucks as a corporate turn a profit, but a business that does not make money is by definition, not a business. 

Now that's the NHL side of things.  On the AHL side, I'm sure it's a business for Esche, any local management group in AHL cities, and independent AHL owners.  Why would Esche pay Canucks an affiliation fee if there's no potential for financial upside for him?  But that's got nothing to do with the Canucks.  We're not debating what Esche's responsibility to the Comets is.

The Canucks are actively looking for locations that would make the AHL losses bigger.  It's not even trying to turn a profit.  If I'm a billionaire, and I spend $10 million/ year operating a private art gallery that does $1m in revenue, the IRS is going to eventually classify that as a hobby, since the reason I run that art gallery is because I like galleries and have the money.  Doesn't matter if I hire a bunch of employees to manage the place and pay for advertising and salespeople.  

We're talking about Canucks' obligations to the Comets here.  The team did not buy the Comets as a financial investment, it does not run the operation for money.  If I'm not mistaken, the ticket managers, corporate marketing employees etc., are Esche's people.  I'm not arguing that it's a business for him, and if you have a problem with the quality of those services, you certainly have a right to take it up with him. 

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Connor comet said:

i doubt it is a big deal. Utica has no viable option. more than likely Utica wants 3 years or more which will not happen and the Canucks will want 1-2 seasons with a lot of outs.

The question is does the AHL want Seattle and the Canucks to establish teams at the same time, or will they be ok with the Canucks having a team all alone in the North West for a season or two?????

There's no doubt Utica's days are numbered.....

funny, i had considered the travel benefit of a seattle franchise to vancouver but not the farm team angle.  seattle makes two fairly local ahl franchises more viable, and could even lead to calgary and edmonton joining in.   would be hard to find locations that do not already have whl teams though.

1 hour ago, krutovsdonut said:

funny, i had considered the travel benefit of a seattle franchise to vancouver but not the farm team angle.  seattle makes two fairly local ahl franchises more viable, and could even lead to calgary and edmonton joining in.   would be hard to find locations that do not already have whl teams though.

I highly doubt Van wants to move their farm team out west.  They've had plenty of opportunity and have passed and shot it down every time it comes up.  They want to kids to train and practice, not travel.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its a chippy game, the Thunderbirds playing like goons and trying to intentionally hurt the Comets players with blindside hits and crosschecking.

Trash AHL goons on the T--birds

AHL, and even worse in the ECHL, and lesser pro leagues.  The markets want WWE mixed in with some hockey.  

You can definitely see the poor centre depth down there. MacEwen, Jasek, Palmu and Dahlens play have really stood out to me this game. Each showing their different ways they contribute.

MacEwen deserves an honorary assist for his screen on Grahams goal. Wouldn't go in if he wasn't there. Jasek seems to have good hands and works hard. Palmu is just a little engine...seen some poor decisions in the D zone though. 

Dahlen is just showing why he'll be a top 6 guy by Pettersson in the future. Very good nose for the net!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its a chippy game, the Thunderbirds playing like goons and trying to intentionally hurt the Comets players with blindside hits and crosschecking.

Trash AHL goons on the T--birds

For a minute I thought I was watching a re-make of Slapshot. Lol

Edited by Kootenay Gold