The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

" Well, see you tomorrow morning, don't get into too much trouble tonight"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/climate-protestors-who-glued-themselves-to-volkswagen-s-floor-are-left-in-the-dark/ar-AA13be2b?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ba671ce117c84509b9d2450bab34a9b4#comments

"Agroup of nine scientists have glued themselves to the floor of Volkswagen’s Autostadt facility in Germany to protest climate change.

Unfortunately for members of the ‘Scientific Rebellion’ activist group when it came time to close up for the night, VW locked the doors and switched off the lights and heating.

According to the protestors, the carmaker supported their right to protest but neglected to give them ‘a bowl to urinate and defecate in a decent manner while we are glued.’

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a bit more at the link.

The Chess Saga that is now going to court:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/u-s-teen-sues-world-chess-champion-over-cheating-accusations/ar-AA13dPB8?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=67a1ddbb1cb640b882a7efd514bc24b5

"American grandmaster Hans Niemann filed a lawsuit on Thursday against Magnus Carlsen after the Norwegian world champion accused him of cheating. It is the latest move in a scandal that has rocked the world of chess

The 19-year-old Niemann, in the suit filed in federal court in Missouri, is seeking $100 million in damages from Carlsen, his company Play Magnus Group, Danny Rensch of Chess.com, the world's leading online chess platform, and American grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura.

Niemann accused the defendants of slander and libel and colluding to destroy his reputation and livelihood.

Carlsen has publicly accused Niemann of cheating, and Chess.com alleged in a report earlier this month that the American has "probably cheated more than 100 times" in online games.

But while the Chess.com report said Niemann "likely cheated online much more than his public statements suggest … there is a lack of concrete statistical evidence that he cheated in his game with Magnus or in any other over-the-board ("OTB")—i.e., in-person—games."

n his complaint, Niemann said the 31-year-old Carlsen, the five-time reigning world champion, Rensch and Nakamura have inflicted "devastating damages" on his reputation and career by "egregiously defaming him."

It accuses them of "unlawfully colluding to blacklist him from the profession to which he has dedicated his life."

"Since the age of 16, Niemann's sole means of supporting himself has been from the money he makes teaching chess and participating in chess tournaments," the lawsuit said.

After Niemann "soundly defeated" Carlsen at the Sinquefield Cup tournament in Missouri on September 4, the Norwegian "viciously and maliciously retaliated against Niemann by falsely accusing Niemann, without any evidence, of somehow cheating during their in-person game," it said.

Chess.com, the lawsuit said, "banned Niemann from its website and all of its future events, to lend credence to Carlsen's unsubstantiated and defamatory accusations of cheating."

The Florida-based Nakamura, an influential streaming partner of Chess.com, is accused of publishing "hours of video content amplifying and attempting to bolster Carlsen's false cheating allegations."

Chess.com banned Niemann on September 5, shortly after the first accusations were made.

Niemann's lawsuit suggested that the move by Chess.com was made under pressure from Carlsen, whose Play Magnus company is currently being acquired for $83 million by Chess.com.

"Carlsen, having solidified his position as the 'King of Chess,' believes that when it comes to chess, he can do whatever he wants and get away with it," the complaint said.

Two weeks after his Sinquefield Cup loss, Niemann and Carlsen met again in the sixth round of the online Julius Baer Generation Cup.

Carlsen resigned after making just one move and released a statement saying he would not "play against people that have cheated repeatedly in the past."

"I know that my actions have frustrated many in the chess community," Carlsen wrote. "I'm frustrated. I want to play chess. I want to continue to play chess at the highest level in the best events."

The International Chess Federation announced on September 29 that it was opening an investigation into the accusations of cheating.

Niemann has admitted to cheating in the past on Chess.com, when he was between 12 and 16 years old, but denies the most recent accusations, claiming to be "ready to play naked," if necessary.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Carlsen wrote. "I'm frustrated. I want to play chess. I want to continue to play chess at the highest level in the best events."

Ok, then perhaps Magnus can explain this statement, and explain why it doesn't contradict, his decision to not defend his World Champion Title again Jain Nepomichi?

3 hours ago, gurn said:

The Chess Saga that is now going to court:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/u-s-teen-sues-world-chess-champion-over-cheating-accusations/ar-AA13dPB8?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=67a1ddbb1cb640b882a7efd514bc24b5

"American grandmaster Hans Niemann filed a lawsuit on Thursday against Magnus Carlsen after the Norwegian world champion accused him of cheating. It is the latest move in a scandal that has rocked the world of chess

The 19-year-old Niemann, in the suit filed in federal court in Missouri, is seeking $100 million in damages from Carlsen, his company Play Magnus Group, Danny Rensch of Chess.com, the world's leading online chess platform, and American grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura.

Niemann accused the defendants of slander and libel and colluding to destroy his reputation and livelihood.

Carlsen has publicly accused Niemann of cheating, and Chess.com alleged in a report earlier this month that the American has "probably cheated more than 100 times" in online games.

But while the Chess.com report said Niemann "likely cheated online much more than his public statements suggest … there is a lack of concrete statistical evidence that he cheated in his game with Magnus or in any other over-the-board ("OTB")—i.e., in-person—games."

n his complaint, Niemann said the 31-year-old Carlsen, the five-time reigning world champion, Rensch and Nakamura have inflicted "devastating damages" on his reputation and career by "egregiously defaming him."

It accuses them of "unlawfully colluding to blacklist him from the profession to which he has dedicated his life."

"Since the age of 16, Niemann's sole means of supporting himself has been from the money he makes teaching chess and participating in chess tournaments," the lawsuit said.

After Niemann "soundly defeated" Carlsen at the Sinquefield Cup tournament in Missouri on September 4, the Norwegian "viciously and maliciously retaliated against Niemann by falsely accusing Niemann, without any evidence, of somehow cheating during their in-person game," it said.

Chess.com, the lawsuit said, "banned Niemann from its website and all of its future events, to lend credence to Carlsen's unsubstantiated and defamatory accusations of cheating."

The Florida-based Nakamura, an influential streaming partner of Chess.com, is accused of publishing "hours of video content amplifying and attempting to bolster Carlsen's false cheating allegations."

Chess.com banned Niemann on September 5, shortly after the first accusations were made.

Niemann's lawsuit suggested that the move by Chess.com was made under pressure from Carlsen, whose Play Magnus company is currently being acquired for $83 million by Chess.com.

"Carlsen, having solidified his position as the 'King of Chess,' believes that when it comes to chess, he can do whatever he wants and get away with it," the complaint said.

Two weeks after his Sinquefield Cup loss, Niemann and Carlsen met again in the sixth round of the online Julius Baer Generation Cup.

Carlsen resigned after making just one move and released a statement saying he would not "play against people that have cheated repeatedly in the past."

"I know that my actions have frustrated many in the chess community," Carlsen wrote. "I'm frustrated. I want to play chess. I want to continue to play chess at the highest level in the best events."

The International Chess Federation announced on September 29 that it was opening an investigation into the accusations of cheating.

Niemann has admitted to cheating in the past on Chess.com, when he was between 12 and 16 years old, but denies the most recent accusations, claiming to be "ready to play naked," if necessary.

Has Carlsen explained how he thinks Niemann was cheating?

34 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Has Carlsen explained how he thinks Niemann was cheating?

No. 

Hans has admitted to online cheating, but has said he has never cheated over the board.

Immediately after the game that Hans won, the timing of the event was changed so that the footage/coverage of the event started half an hour after play began.

This would keep anyone from being able to 'watch' the match and somehow/someway communicate with a player, to give them moves.

The only ways to cheat, after that, would be to have someone that was physically at the game room giving hints or Hans having access to a computer during a bathroom break.

This will be quite a law case.

It is more than just Carlsen being sued.

Hikaru Nakamura, 5 time US champ, and also a guy that has over a million You Tube subscribers has said some very disparaging things regarding Hans and likely made the mistake of actually calling him a cheater- over the board.

Dan Rensch-owns/ operates Chess.com- which just bought Carlsen's Web company- for about $80 mill, is also named in the suit.

You Tube's largest viewed Chess page is a guy named Levi Rozman aka Gotham Chess; his  multiple vids on the subject have been very balanced.

A While back Levi was getting death threats from people, because Chess.com banned a fellow that Levy had just played.

Thus Levy has more a  controlled reaction to all the hub bub- he knows the power of words and accusations.

Maybe any press is good press, but it is a very hot, contentious issue in the chess 'world'.

Edited by gurn

On 10/20/2022 at 12:44 PM, gurn said:

" Well, see you tomorrow morning, don't get into too much trouble tonight"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/climate-protestors-who-glued-themselves-to-volkswagen-s-floor-are-left-in-the-dark/ar-AA13be2b?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ba671ce117c84509b9d2450bab34a9b4#comments

"Agroup of nine scientists have glued themselves to the floor of Volkswagen’s Autostadt facility in Germany to protest climate change.

Unfortunately for members of the ‘Scientific Rebellion’ activist group when it came time to close up for the night, VW locked the doors and switched off the lights and heating.

According to the protestors, the carmaker supported their right to protest but neglected to give them ‘a bowl to urinate and defecate in a decent manner while we are glued.’

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a bit more at the link.

9 scientists and not one thought to bring a piss jug.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gurn said:

You Tube's largest viewed Chess page is a guy named Levi Rozman aka Gotham Chess; his  multiple vids on the subject have been very balanced.

A While back Levi was getting death threats from people, because Chess.com banned a fellow that Levy had just played.

Thus Levy has more a  controlled reaction to all the hub bub- he knows the power of words and accusations.

This is getting stranger and stranger.

Why would this Levi  guy get death threats because Chess.com banned one of his recent opponents?  Shouldn't the threats have been directed to the owner of Chess.com, Dan Rensch?

(Accusations of cheating; lawsuits; death threats;  what is the chess world coming to?)

51 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Why would this Levi  guy get death threats because Chess.com banned one of his recent opponents?  Shouldn't the threats have been directed to the owner of Chess.com, Dan Rensch?

It is strange, but a lot of chess players are rather quirky.

https://chess-tournaments.com/the-curious-case-of-dewa-kipas/

The Indonesian public lapped up this story of their wronged countryman and for the next few weeks, Levy and his family were bombarded with death threats and online abuse. As a result, Levy eventually shut off his socal media and took a break from streaming. "

Having faced that kind of pressure he was very careful in how he discusses the situation with Hans; his caution was not shared by Nakamura.

• Thanks 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/21/world/europe/marlene-engelhorn-wealth-tax.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20221021&instance_id=75367&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=110749&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

She’s Inheriting Millions. She Wants Her Wealth Taxed Away.

Marlene Engelhorn, 30, heir to a fortune, isn’t interested in philanthropy, believing it only perpetuates existing power dynamics. She’s calling for structural change to how the ultrarich are taxed.

AMSTERDAM — By the time her extraordinarily wealthy grandmother died last month, Marlene Engelhorn already knew who she wanted to be the ultimate beneficiary of the enormous inheritance coming her way: the tax man.

“The dream scenario is I get taxed,” said Ms. Engelhorn, the co-founder of a group called Tax Me Now.

Ms. Engelhorn, a 30-year-old who grew up in Vienna, is part of a growing movement of young, leftist millionaires who say they want governments to take a much larger share of their inherited wealth, arguing that these unearned fortunes should be democratically allocated by the state.

For more than a year, Ms. Engelhorn has been campaigning for tax policies that would redistribute her eight-figure windfall — and anyone else’s.

“I am the product of an unequal society,” Ms. Engelhorn said in a speech at a Millionaires for Humanity event in late August in Amsterdam, where activists were calling for wealth taxation. “Because otherwise, I couldn’t be born into multimillions. Just born. Nothing else.”

• Cheers 1

Horrible. Crowding has always worried me...stemming from a Tragically Hip concert where I was on the floor/at the front and the surge was squishing me to the point of having trouble breathing. A security guard noticed and lifted me over the fence to safety. That will always stick with me...how helpless you are in that moment. My 98 pound daughter used to love mosh pits...worried the hell out of me.

WARNING: Graphic scenes in the video

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Horrible. Crowding has always worried me...stemming from a Tragically Hip concert where I was on the floor/at the front and the surge was squishing me to the point of having trouble breathing. A security guard noticed and lifted me over the fence to safety. That will always stick with me...how helpless you are in that moment. My 98 pound daughter used to love mosh pits...worried the hell out of me.

WARNING: Graphic scenes in the video

This is beyond pathetic and the event organizers should be punished for this.

I’ve been to events in small areas in the past and always wait for everyone else to leave first. Why must everyone rush to the exit at the end. Good example is a Canucks game. Everyone tries to rush out and just ends up being jammed and not moving lol. 

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

Brazil's Lula defeats Bolsonaro to win presidency again in stunning comeback

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/brazil-votes-heated-bolsonaro-vs-lula-presidential-runoff-2022-10-30/

Another divided country :( Its sad how in this day and age we can't agree to have differing opinions and hear the other side.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

Another divided country :( Its sad how in this day and age we can't agree to have differing opinions and hear the other side.

Unfortunately I think it's way past the point of differing opinions and hearing the other side. It seems to me that some people are OK with fascism, some people are fighting fascism and some are just completely oblivious to what's happening around them.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • RoughGame 1

• 3 weeks later...

One can always hope:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/opinion/russia-putin-opposition.html?campaign_id=39&emc=edit_ty_20221121&instance_id=78158&nl=opinion-today&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=113819&te=1&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

What Will Russia Without Putin Look Like? Maybe This.

Russia’s current condition — militarized, isolated, corrupt, dominated by the security services and hemorrhaging talent as hundreds of thousands flee abroad to escape service in a horrific war — is bleak.

In hopes of an end to this grim reality, some wait expectantly for Vladimir Putin to leave office. To change the country, however, it is not enough for Mr. Putin to die or step down. Russia’s future leaders must dismantle and transform the structures over which he has presided for more than two decades. The challenge, to say the least, is daunting. But a group of politicians is devising a plan to meet it.

Composed of well-known opposition figures as well as younger representatives from local and regional governments, the First Congress of People’s Deputies of Russia met in Poland in early November. The location, Jablonna Palace outside Warsaw, was symbolic: It was the site of early negotiations in the round-table talks that led to the end of Communist rule in Poland. There, over three days of intense debate, participants laid out proposals for rebuilding their country. Taken together, they amount to a serious effort to imagine Russia without Mr. Putin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

One can always hope:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/21/opinion/russia-putin-opposition.html?campaign_id=39&emc=edit_ty_20221121&instance_id=78158&nl=opinion-today&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=113819&te=1&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

What Will Russia Without Putin Look Like? Maybe This.

Russia’s current condition — militarized, isolated, corrupt, dominated by the security services and hemorrhaging talent as hundreds of thousands flee abroad to escape service in a horrific war — is bleak.

In hopes of an end to this grim reality, some wait expectantly for Vladimir Putin to leave office. To change the country, however, it is not enough for Mr. Putin to die or step down. Russia’s future leaders must dismantle and transform the structures over which he has presided for more than two decades. The challenge, to say the least, is daunting. But a group of politicians is devising a plan to meet it.

Composed of well-known opposition figures as well as younger representatives from local and regional governments, the First Congress of People’s Deputies of Russia met in Poland in early November. The location, Jablonna Palace outside Warsaw, was symbolic: It was the site of early negotiations in the round-table talks that led to the end of Communist rule in Poland. There, over three days of intense debate, participants laid out proposals for rebuilding their country. Taken together, they amount to a serious effort to imagine Russia without Mr. Putin.

Well good luck to them on that. IMHO the problem is not just Putin. He is simply the head of a very corrupt communist system that has stayed in power for +100 years by exploiting their own countrymen. The top down exploitation has been ingrained into the Russian persona. I honestly think there are lots of Putins scheming their ascendency to power. Real change likely won't happen without a civil war and a period of anarchy. The scary part is who will control the Russian nukes?