The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner, why the hate?

HKSR

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Totally disagree with you.As Mc David was the ONLY forward attacking the puck Del Zotto had no other responsibility on this play other than the puck. If anything Gagner was showing he was not going to get there and Del Zotto hung him out to dry. I am not a big Gagner fan but this wasn't all his fault.

I think Gagner tried his best on this play, but he lacked the foot speed to defend McDavid.  This is where Quinn Hughes would really make a huge difference for us.  Gagner’s rub on McDavid would have been just enough to allow Hughes to get the puck.  

And Markstrom ... MAKE THE FRIGGIN SAVE!!!

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Gagner tried his best on this play, but he lacked the foot speed to defend McDavid.  This is where Quinn Hughes would really make a huge difference for us.  Gagner’s rub on McDavid would have been just enough to allow Hughes to get the puck.  

And Markstrom ... MAKE THE FRIGGIN SAVE!!!

how many times could we have said that last season

26 minutes ago, reyezone said:

I have been surprised at Gagner's intensity and willingness to "mix it up". You can criticize many of his deficiencies but he does not 'mail it in'.

I agree, he does play with a bit of vinegar out there. I’m hoping he has a good bounce back season. Like many have posted on here. He is a decent stop gap safety measure for light sheltered 2C duties at the beginning of the year as we ease our young guys into their roles. It’s gonna take time to see where they all shake out on the roster.

Will be a very interesting year!

3 minutes ago, VancouverFan said:

I dunno but I don't have high hopes for him - not good enough to be on the top two lines and not really a bottom 6 type of player.   Personally hoping he's gone from the roster on opening day - I don't really see much use for him in a roster this packed.

I certainly hope one of the younger players outplays him and deserves to play ahead of him

On 06/07/2018 at 4:19 PM, AK_19 said:

Because he takes up a roster spot that most Canucks would prefer to give to a prospect. If all he's bringing is 30ish points as an offensive forward, one might as well roll the dice on a rookie. I have a feeling it will be one of Gaudette or Gagner who gets sent down to Utica (or traded in Gagner's case). 

I don't see anyone taking Gagner for atleast a year and if he got sent down no one will trade for him then.

I think its the fact he was brought in to be a PP QB when people could see he benefited from playing with Columbus and that ridiculous PP they had 2 years ago.  Probablem was he got all of his points and suddenly the second half of the year when their PP went cold, Gagne couldn't buy a point.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I don't see anyone taking Gagner for atleast a year and if he got sent down no one will trade for him then.

I think its the fact he was brought in to be a PP QB when people could see he benefited from playing with Columbus and that ridiculous PP they had 2 years ago.  Probablem was he got all of his points and suddenly the second half of the year when their PP went cold, Gagne couldn't buy a point.

Yeah we very well might have to eat some of his salary - I just don't see there being room for him on the current roster.

9 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

So he got beat by Connor McDavid. Arguably the NHL's current best player in the game. You could also point out what the hell Del Zotto was doing not attacking the puck until it was too late.

It's only one play (of many), but if he kept his feet moving, he would've gotten to the puck. Instead, he made a half-assed attempt to try and block out McDavid and was unsuccessful. In fact, he didn't even try to body him from retrieving the puck, rather he just tried to lift his stick.

You can see Del Zotto gliding back because he thought for sure Gagner would get to the puck first (which he should) so he can get the pass. Instead, he showed why he is so frustrating to watch at times.

The hate comes from the fans that were brave enough to watch most of the last season as opposed to just looking at box scores.  

He would consistently turn the puck over and lose a puck battle that would end up in the back of our net.

Gagner isn't that good, his contract isn't that good.  So I guess the hate comes from there?  Though not sure it's warranted, we have a bunch of guys like that.  If people are concerned about bad play with a worse contract you shouldn't get to Gagner when you have Eriksson and Gudbranson on the team. 

On 2018-07-09 at 3:39 PM, LowerMainLander18 said:

I don't think we "hate" him for how he plays.

I know he plays a hard, tenacious game.

But the issue is how he is utilized. He has been utilized as Top 6 Fwd prolly coz some of our potentially Top 6 Fwd players did not meet the expectations. 

So he was utilized in that role to fill out our Top 6 depth. And a lot of people think he was getting way more ice time than he should be given.

There is no personal issue with Gagner. From what I hear he's a great locker room guy and a good teammate. 

I also think he was being easy to coach by being able to handle situations up and down the lines. 

If he proves to be relevant this year, than good for him.

If the new signings and the youngsters push him out of the lineup, then, that's the way it goes.

Either way, I hope he has a good season with us this year. (Better than the last)

Nice post! This is largely where I sit on the issue of Gagner too.

In terms of experience and versatility, if need be, he can play in the top or bottom, up the middle or either side. He gives a coach a lot of options. Especially with so many injuries. That makes it harder for young guys to play him out of the lineup. 

We've got a logjam of guys knocking at the door so Gagner needs to be better. This will all unfold organically this season either way.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:30 AM, Russ said:

I don't think there are any cases where someone who is successfully sent down loses trade value. Most of the time their value increases as the team trading for them can keep them in the AHL and bring them up whenever they want (no re-entry waivers). 

On 2018-07-10 at 10:58 AM, 250Integra said:

It's only one play (of many), but if he kept his feet moving, he would've gotten to the puck. Instead, he made a half-assed attempt to try and block out McDavid and was unsuccessful. In fact, he didn't even try to body him from retrieving the puck, rather he just tried to lift his stick.

You can see Del Zotto gliding back because he thought for sure Gagner would get to the puck first (which he should) so he can get the pass. Instead, he showed why he is so frustrating to watch at times.

Del Zotto looked like he was afraid of the puck. Why not attack the puck when you know McDavid all alone and the Oilers are on a line change? Not like anyone else could catch up to the play in time for a chance. 

Otherwise, the only reason I can think of Gagner not putting much effort is that he was at the end of a shift with not much gas left in the tank.

Archived