The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

19 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

I think he's betting on himself, albeit two years to do it, but he likely thinks after 2 years he should be able to get a nice increase on his next one

This is exactly it.  He could sign a longer term but this allows him to show what he has so he can get his big payday in relatively short order.  I do think even as a bridge contract it's a little light (great for us!), but at the end of the day he will get what he has coming to him based on how he develops.

THIS is a great contract for this team.  Jake was showing signs the whole last season that he has learned the NHL game, becoming a man among men.  He is just starting to realize his strength is above average, and was bulling his way to the net.  He was a beast on the boards.  And was a take away machine.  Killer bridge deal, Mr. Benning.

45 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Great deal for Jake as he can prove himself for next deal and great deal for Canucks to wrap up the league's fastest power forward who is just starting to realize his potential.

This kid has worked his ass off with a skills coach and is set to work with another high profile skills coach this summer. 

Not trying to be the coach here but I wish Green would staple him to pk the way AV used to do that for Kesler, Burrows, Raymond, And other guys that  great skating skills. AV's philosiphy was learn offense from great defense.  Learn the importance of back-check, closing lanes and gaps, when to strip a puck and giv'er. 

I think once Jake learns that and a bit of time on pp2, he could finally crack 20 goals and as many or more assists.

Ive met Jake a few times last summer around the same time at the same gas station in Abby.  Was easy to talk to and laughed when I said he is lucky for that NHL salary to afford to gas up the RT/8 Grand Cherokee he was driving. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Great deal for Jake as he can prove himself for next deal and great deal for Canucks to wrap up the league's fastest power forward who is just starting to realize his potential.

jv18-race.gif

If anyone didn't see it happen, that's Connor "Fastest player in the history of the universe according to Knobgobble Media Co." Mcjesus that he outruns.

So I'm pretty stoked about this. It's alll coming together.

1 minute ago, brownky said:

jv18-race.gif

If anyone didn't see it happen, that's Connor "Fastest player in the history of the universe according to Knobgobble Media Co." Mcjesus that he outruns.

wow...video evidence of McDavid backchecking.   Wow. 

51 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

waht...

that is dirt cheap. to low if you ask me. Jake got raked over the coals lol

I'd say the contract length is bang on both in terms of money and length. I see potential but JV only had 10g 20 pts last year...

7 minutes ago, brownky said:

jv18-race.gif

Thank you for this.

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

...and getting flat-out beat by a player's better speed.  Wow.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A player with the puck no less.    At least these two players have a similar CAP hit.    :ph34r:

McDavid had been on the ice longer, but it was still an impressive race.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

McDavid had been on the ice longer, but it was still an impressive race.

On the ice standing at the point versus the PK skating forward?   Sure.   I think this isn't a knock on McD but was probably the first time Jake himself figured out he is as fast as the fastest.   That shot of confidence likely will go a long way.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

On the ice standing at the point versus the PK skating forward?   Sure.   I think this isn't a knock on McD but was probably the first time Jake himself figured out he is as fast as the fastest.   That shot of confidence likely will go a long way.

But the ice is cold Zepp, and it made McDavid's legs seize up so that he couldn't engage his turbo thrusters.

Archived