The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Matheson suspended 2 games

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It didn't actually happen that quick. The hit and then the takedown were two separate plays where he had time to let up. He wanted payback for being exposed as a plug.

Best thing that can happen is for someone to take his spot while he's out and get handed a ticket to the AHL where he belongs.

The guy was just taking out his man. Playing D in his own end. The hypocrisy on this forum is all-word. Why the hell can't anyone see that any good defender closes that gap and initiate contact in that instance?... every time.  And sorry but it DID happen that quick. EP is a gangly teenager playing in the fastest and most physical league on the planet. The body slam is the issue here. It was over the top and buddy got suspended for it. Chasing the guy around for the rest of the game wouldn't  have solved nor proved nothing. Canucks fans gotta stop being such crybabies all the time. Freaking embarassing. "it's the refs fault" "the rules aren't the same for the Canucks" etc etc 

Read MacIntire's story at Sportsnet. That was a good win for us.Yeah sorry, I like to win. I believe in this team and if you say you do as well then let's all stop saying that the 2 points are meaningless.

Not in any way suggesting you are bud but tankers make me sick! 

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

This is a weird feeling, after sitting on this incident for a while I feel slightly bad for Matheson. 

He only gets suspended here because Elias is a young star. While not a legal move, this kind of physicality is what draws me to hockey and tends to happen in heated matches. It's what makes the playoffs the best elimination games in sports.

I don't think he meant to injure Pettersson, his coach was probably in his ear about getting danced around all game and he took it out on Elias in that moment.

And if Guddy body slammed Barzal...would you be ok with it? 

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

The guy was just taking out his man. Playing D in his own end. The hypocrisy on this forum is all-word. Why the hell can't anyone see that any good defender closes that gap and initiate contact in that instance?... every time.  And sorry but it DID happen that quick. EP is a gangly teenager playing in the fastest and most physical league on the planet. The body slam is the issue here. It was over the top and buddy got suspended for it. Chasing the guy around for the rest of the game wouldn't  have solved nor proved nothing. Canucks fans gotta stop being such crybabies all the time. Freaking embarassing. "it's the refs fault" "the rules aren't the same for the Canucks" etc etc 

Read MacIntire's story at Sportsnet. That was a good win for us.Yeah sorry, I like to win. I believe in this team and if you say you do as well then let's all stop saying that the 2 points are meaningless.

Not in any way suggesting you are bud but tankers make me sick! 

Watch it again.  Two separate movements.  I hope the gist I’m getting is you still weren’t happy with the slam? :) 

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

The guy was just taking out his man. Playing D in his own end. The hypocrisy on this forum is all-word. Why the hell can't anyone see that any good defender closes that gap and initiate contact in that instance?... every time.  And sorry but it DID happen that quick. EP is a gangly teenager playing in the fastest and most physical league on the planet. The body slam is the issue here.

I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise.

Hits happen fast yes. Deciding to body slam someone is a decision he made after making contact.

Good hitters don't need the extra takedown though, they just level someone. Matheson is not a good hitter. Hopefully Jake can teach him how to finish a check next time we play them.

I felt like that video threw some shade at Mattheson... it points out that he got danced by Dekey Pete before the hit, the only reason that needed to be pointed out was to suggest there was intent as a result of being embarrassed.... For the first time I can remember I felt like the DOPS not only served the Canucks justice but did so almost enthusiastically.  

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I felt like that video threw some shade at Mattheson... it points out that he got danced by Dekey Pete before the hit, the only reason that needed to be pointed out was to suggest there was intent as a result of being embarrassed.... For the first time I can remember I felt like the DOPS not only served the Canucks justice but did so almost enthusiastically.  

Through this whole incident I found more than usual Canuck love and support. Media and opposing fans alike. It feels odd. 

Two Game suspension is acceptable... that's what I wanted.   I'm actually surprised, because I expected either no suspension or 1 game.

5 games would never happen... its a Canuck and Matheson's first disciplinary incident.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about someone on the Canucks getting suspended for 20 games for taking a run at Matheson.  There may be some chippyness, but I suspect nothing serious will happen with the rematch.

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And if Guddy body slammed Barzal...would you be ok with it? 

Obviously not. Let me clarify, I'm not okay with what Matheson did. I'm just sympathizing with the punishment because there's been no precedent for suspending based on over-physicality.

People should not be getting suspended based on whether their target was injured or not.

5 hours ago, EP-40 said:

I hope EP pulls a bure and knocks that guy the &^@# out with a massively dirty elbow or such, take the suspension, its worth it for the rest of your career.

He probably should to send a message to the other players that its not open season on him. Doesn't seem like his character though.

Archived