The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Expansion Draft - Who do the Canucks protect?

Rate this topic

lukchin

2 minutes ago, lukchin said:

I think we have to protect Eriksson unless he is willing to waive.  Same like Phaneuf except he refused to waive.

* All players who have currently effective and continuing “No Movement” clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club’s applicable protection limits).

Eriksson will be under a NTC at that point.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought the player had to play at least 2 NHL seasons to be eligible?

No, they have to have signed a pro contract (ie players in Utica are eligible if they are in their 3rd year pro)

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, if Hughes, Juolevi, Demko and Dahlen make the team out of camp next year (2019), they will have played two full seasons by the fall of 2021, so I guess they would need to be protected?

In that case, trade Tanev at the 2019 TDL for a Draft pick. Expose Stecher in the expansion draft.

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Virtanen

Gaudette

Dahlen or Sutter (depending when Dahlen starts)

2019 1st Round Pick

Hughes

Juolevi

Hutton

Demko   

Its 3 years pro. Demko is in his 3rd year pro and Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi, Gadjovich, Lind, Palmu and Jasek will have played 3 years pro by the end of the 20-21 season. If Hughes signs in March to burn a year of his ELC then he will need to be protected as well.

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, lukchin said:

Didn't see one started yet...what's your prediction for the Canucks protected list?

Here's my prediction:

Protect Forwards (7):

1. Bo Horvat

2. Loui Eriksson (Because we have to NTC)

3. Jake Virtanen

4. Elias Pettersson

5. Brock Boeser

6. Adam Gaudette

7. Nikolay Goldobin

*We don't have to protect Jack Hughes because he'll be 2nd year pro still.

Protect D-men (3):

1. Quinn Hughes (if he comes in early this year in March 2019)

2. Olli Juolevi (Assuming he plays this year or next)

3. Ben Hutton (Assuming he extends)

Protect Goalie (1):

1. Thatcher Demko (Assuming he starts playing 2019/20)

Expose:

Antoine Roussel

Markus Granlund (Assuming he extends)

Tim Schaller

Tyler Motte

Josh Leivo

Erik Gudbranson

Troy Stecher

Derrick Pouliot

Alex Biega

Jacob Markstrom (Assuming he extends)

*Assuming Tanev and Edler are gone.

Nice inclusion of Jack Hughes :P.

Hard to say as it's still so far away and there could be more personnel movement in the meantime.

I think it's safe to assume you're right about Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes (if he has to be protected) and Eriksson (no choice unless the Canucks can trade him somehow) though.  I have a feeling that by the time expansion comes around, there may be different sentiments about everyone else. 

Personally, I would like the Canucks to retain Jake but who knows what happens in the intervening time before the expansion draft.  Same with Juolevi and Gaudette.  I think it's reasonable to assume that they will be protected, but if there are any "young core" guys who might be exposed, it could be them especially if the Canucks acquire veteran forwards or D who would take precedence over any of them.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure only NMCs are must protect. If they go with the same rules that Vegas had. Which I see no reason why they wouldn't.

28 minutes ago, lukchin said:

I think we have to protect Eriksson unless he is willing to waive.  Same like Phaneuf except he refused to waive.

His contract was Modified NTC/NMC according to CapFriendly. Not sure what that means exactly but it wasn't just a plain NTC.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Pretty sure only NMCs are must protect. If they go with the same rules that Vegas had. Which I see no reason why they wouldn't.

His contract was Modified NTC/NMC according to CapFriendly. Not sure what that means exactly but it wasn't just a plain NTC.

Pretty sure it needs to be a full NMC to force auto protection, dont think Loui will need to be protected 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lukchin said:

Do we have to protect NTC's?

Or just NMC's. That's my understanding. NMC's meaning no buy outs, no demotions. Full control that you can stay on our main squad.

Eriiksson I believe has already had his NMC fall off. This year and next he has a full NTC I also believe? Which means no trade unless he agrees. Then it drops to a 15 team no trade list for the last two years of his pact. And coinciding with expansion.

52 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, if Hughes, Juolevi, Demko and Dahlen make the team out of camp next year (2019), they will have played two full seasons by the fall of 2021, so I guess they would need to be protected?

In that case, trade Tanev at the 2019 TDL for a Draft pick. Expose Stecher in the expansion draft.

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Virtanen

Gaudette

Dahlen or Sutter (depending when Dahlen starts)

2019 1st Round Pick

Hughes

Juolevi

Hutton

Demko   

It's two AHL or NHL seasons with a season defined as 10 games played. So even if Hughes plays 9 games at the end of this season, it shouldn't count as a professional season. He'd then have 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 and thus be exempt because he'd have only 2 professional seasons. 

And any of our current Utica Comets will definitely be eligible.

53 minutes ago, lukchin said:

Eriksson's contract is no longer a NMC. and by the time of the expansion draft, he'll only have a year left with a modified NTC.

Edited by Where's Wellwood
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

It's two AHL or NHL seasons with a season defined as 10 games played. So even if Hughes plays 9 games at the end of this season, it shouldn't count as a professional season. He'd then have 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 and thus be exempt because he'd have only 2 professional seasons. 

Eriksson's contract is no longer a NMC. and by the time of the expansion draft, he'll only have a year left with a modified NTC.

Hughes won't be signing the standard ELC though. When you sign in March out of the NCAA and play even just one game that burns a year of your ELC and counts as a full pro season. If Hughes does that this coming March then he will need to be protected in the 2021 expansion draft.

1 hour ago, lukchin said:

Here's my prediction:

Protect Forwards (7):

1. Bo Horvat

3. Jake Virtanen

4. Elias Pettersson

5. Brock Boeser

6. Adam Gaudette

7. Nikolay Goldobin

*We don't have to protect Jack Hughes because he'll be 2nd year pro still.

Protect D-men (3):

1. Quinn Hughes (if he comes in early this year in March 2019)

2. Olli Juolevi (Assuming he plays this year or next)

3. Ben Hutton (Assuming he extends)

Protect Goalie (1):

1. Thatcher Demko (Assuming he starts playing 2019/20)

Expose:

Antoine Roussel

Markus Granlund (Assuming he extends)

Tim Schaller

Tyler Motte

Josh Leivo

Erik Gudbranson

Troy Stecher

Derrick Pouliot

Alex Biega

Jacob Markstrom (Assuming he extends)

*Assuming Tanev and Edler are gone.

The question might be better answered who is worth protecting at this point.

Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Virtanen, Gaudette, & 2 more           Kole Lind and Gadjovich would need to be protected. My choice ATM, but very up in air.

Juolevi, Hughes, one of Hutton & Stecher                                     And I would at this stage select Stecher.

Demko.

Edler, Guddy & Tanev would all be UFA before. If Tanev were re-signed, no doubt (at this stage) he would predispose the last two D above. 

I would go so far as to suggest Gudbrandson might even be Seatlle's first target UFA?

Eriksson does not have to be protected because he doesn't have a NMC anymore.

As for the Utica players, I was under the impression that they would have needed protecting for the expansion draft for Vegas since they're playing in a pro league but some people pointed out that farm players actually don't need to be protected. Maybe it has something to do with whether they're just signed to a Utica contract or a 2way/1way contract that allows them to play in the NHL?

You don't need to protect NTC's, you only have to protect NMC's.

It's too early too tell with this team but the only players worth saving from this roster would be Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser for sure. Maybe Stecher and/or Hutton depending on if they're still here by then. Baertschi too if he recovers from his concussion.

Goalie situation could be interesting if we sign Bobrovsky as rumored. Would either mean we lose Bobrovsky ala Fleury with Vegas (assuming Demko is the backup) or we lose Demko (assuming we expose him and don't send a pick to Seattle to protect him).

A little too early but best hope would be Seattle claims either Beagle or Eriksson from us.

27 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

my question is.. will DiPietro need protection if he signs in the AHL next season?

No because he would only have played the 19/20 season and the 20/21 season as a pro in the AHL, so effectively he would have finished his 2nd year or pro hockey and would not be eligible.  

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club’s applicable protection limits).

As for my protection list

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Virtanen

Dahlen

Gaudette

Lind

Hughes (assuming he signs and plays this april...which could also make the argument to hold off signing him so that we don't have to protect him as waiting til the summer to sign him would allow him to be ineligible to be selected by default as he would have just finished his second year of pro by then)

Juolevi

Hutton

Demko

Which leaves

Sutter, Baertschi, Gudbranson all expiring UFA's exposed

Beagle, Roussel, and Eriksson exposed with 1 year deals left exposed

Stecher, Goldobin, Granlund (assuming after their short term deals are extended and they are still on the team) will be exposed

Gadjovich, Palmu, MacEwen, Sautner, Brisebois, Chatfield also exposed

Wonder if Nikita Tryamkin gets exposed.  I assume so considering Dallas had to do the same with Val Nichuskin. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY