The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Have the Canucks players earned the right for management to trade picks for depth? (non 1sts)

Have the Canucks players earned the right for management to trade picks for depth? (non 1sts)

Upon first glance, this definitely is a strange idea given the Canucks’ record and given that 3 games ago, we had lost 11 of 12 games.

Consider this however:  When relatively healthy, the Canucks have had a pretty decent record.  We saw what they did in October, and we’ve seen what the Canucks have done these last three games.

Perhaps a pretty good argument can be made that the Canucks are a Wildcard playoff calibre team when healthy, and that they are simply less resistant to injuries relative to that of most other teams.

As a result, maybe it is in the Canucks best interests to increase their depth by offering 2nd’s and 3rd’s for insurance?

Personally speaking, I’m not entirely sold on this idea for obvious reasons (ie Canucks should be stocking the cupboards given where they are in their development), but the counter argument to this is that playoff experience is also crucial and imperative to a young players development.....no matter how short or how lobsided the impending result would be (and obviously, the Canucks would likely get crushed in the first round in 4-5 games this year even if healthy).

Still - If this management group’s mantra is about “rewarding the boys and rewarding individual players if they earn it,” then I think this group has earned the right to get management to give them more help via depth/insurance.

Not even close.

This group moving forward with the way it is currently, is a fringe playoff team at best. The team needs more draft picks right now so that we can have a constant supply of talented youth joining the ranks. Not a bandaid that only last a few years.

Draft--->Develop------>Win

51 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So reward them with increased competition for an NHL job?  There is zero reason to be making moves for a band-aid fix.  We're seeing glimpses of good things to come but this group isn't there yet.

I hear ya, and you definitely make a good point with my apparent paradoxical suggestion (reward the players by increasing their competition level).

I agree with you that this group isn’t there yet (in terms of being an upper echelon team), but I would also argue that this team IS a wildcard playoff calibre team when relatively healthy, and that an important part of player/prospect development is playoff experience (regardless of how short it is).

for these reasons, that’s why I’m in two minds about this idea.

12 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Not even close.

This group moving forward with the way it is currently, is a fringe playoff team at best. The team needs more draft picks right now so that we can have a constant supply of talented youth joining the ranks. Not a bandaid that only last a few years.

Draft--->Develop------>Win

Great post.

My response to your post would be similar to my response to the post above this one if you’re interested in hearing my rebuttal.

What are you talking about?  Earned the right?

I'm tired of doing what this team has been doing for almost 50 years and right now they're nowhere near being in a position to start trading picks for "insurance". Insurance for what????? Trying to become a team that can make the playoffs?? 

Just stop please.

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

What are you talking about?  Earned the right?

I'm tired of doing what this team has been doing for almost 50 years and right now they're nowhere near being in a position to start trading picks for "insurance". Insurance for what????? Trying to become a team that can make the playoffs?? 

Just stop please.

I definitely understand where you’re coming from trust me.  However, I don’t think you quite get where I’m coming from.

Trust me - I know the theory.  

1) Be terrible for a few years

2) accumulate high end picks 

3) build a core full of superstars

4) make a mad dash for the cup

The only problem with that theory more times than not, is that players are sentient beings.  In other words, if a team misses the playoffs for too long and/or is getting blown out year after year, the players start to rot.  That’s why often times, many rebuilding teams do not get out of the cellar and often become perennial bottom feeders/non playoff teams.  It’s akin to trying to fill a bucket with water when the bucket has a hole in it.   

Yes - the Canucks had lost 11 of 12 games before this 3 game winning streak, but their play outside of that has been pretty decent.......and it’s been decent because they were relatively healthy.  

So yes - While I completely understand the need to stay the course and accumulate picks, there’s also a part of me that wonders how the Canucks would do if they weren’t as susceptible to the injury bug due to more depth.  

I think there is a value there for kids getting playoff experience no matter how short lived.  

Like I said though - I’m in two minds about this.

a player can demand a trade , he can bargain a ntc,mnc  but as a group their play whether good or bad they have NO say in trading a unaware prospect player or pkg of prosects .how fair is that?  the whole notion is far fetched in that not all team trade partners are looking for prospects ,but may need player ready trades;  ya hey jim we've played good lately how's about you trade some of them bums down in Utica to get some more good guyz for us ,good idea huh jim?...  ironically the last time anything similar happened like this was when mark messier and mike keenan conspired and trevor linden was gone …..I concure with @Nuxfanabroad change your profile pic!

Depth lol. How about some skill especially in the back end. We have guys that on most teams are depth here they are regulars. 

the  Teams two points worse than last season

the new forward core is emerging but the this team has more holes than a tea bag trading draft picks to fill the role of depth keep the picks and draft well and when the team is actually competative some of those picks will be the depth. 

Didn’t we just have a twelve game skid......

So trade the vets for picks and draft more skill and future depth. 

The rebuild has evolved a little.   

What was going on in the beginning?

Filling in the doughnut hole.  Condition:  many older core players, draft picks coming and few players entering their prime.  Response:  trade 2nd round picks and failing prospects for younger prospects and late bloomers who are close to playing in the league.  Long shots, better odds (arguably) than the draft.  Vey, Etem, Granlund, Baertschi etc

What is going on now? (last off season at least)

Players added by free agency to support developing players.  Beagle, Schaller, Roussel.  

Levio was an exception who pretty much fell in Bennings lap because the Leafs would have had to waive him to make room for Nylander.  So of course you give up a good AHL player (and NHL long shot) for a bottom 6 winger.  

So, as you ask, support players are being added already but Benning is keeping all of his picks.

Depth is the issue right now.  Can't rush developing players.  There is Gagner, Gaunce, and Archibald in the minors.

Archived