The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom IS a NHL #1 goaltender

*Buzzsaw*

33 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Plus Mining 101 thread 

Pointless troll comment.

If you actually watched Canucks games - as opposed to strangely interloping in here instead, for whatever reason - you'd realize that @*Buzzsaw* was clearly triggered by the panel discussion and this is his response.  Like his threads or not, your suspicion of his motivation and 'reputation' envy is strange to say the least.  It's meaningless and yet takes on enough meaning to you to make you troll him over it.  The ironing is clear.

if you accept that goaltending is more than 50% mental in terms of focussing during games, prep between games, and attitude, he is potentially a starter.  right now mentally and attitudinally he shows a dogged determination to be a starter.  he also appears to have the physical tools and talent to be a starter.

but right now he is not a true starter. 

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Pointless troll comment.

If you actually watched Canucks games - as opposed to strangely interloping in here instead, for whatever reason - you'd realize that @*Buzzsaw* was clearly triggered by the panel discussion and this is his response.  Like his threads or not, your suspicion of his motivation and 'reputation' envy is strange to say the least.  It's meaningless and yet takes on enough meaning to you to make you troll him over it.  The ironing is clear.

i caught the hrudy comment live and reacted to it.  it's hard not to get annoyed sometimes that the hnic crew are all calgary and edmonton fanbois.  watching hrudey slobber over anything calgary does and then getting all objective and tough love with the canucks gets annoying.  the whole shunning of the two johns for hnic broadcasts also gets old.  i understand they are parochial and a step removed from the "zeitgeist" of the nic braintrust but as opposed to listening to "real good" comments for three hours i prefer them.

Markstrom is too inconsistent to be a reliable #1 goalie.  Some nights he's spot on, other nights you're cursing his mother.

That said, as a top 10 Demko CDC fanboy, I'm perfectly content for Markstrom to hold down the fort until Demko takes the starter reins at some point next season.  Then by the time DiPietro is ready to back up Demko in a couple seasons, Markstrom will be trade bait and the Canucks will be a fast young skilled team competing for a cup.

I think that interview with hnic from last night shows a lot about markstrom's development as a goaltender. He seems calmer, more confident, and all about the team. Last year it was all about himself not being good enough and his game.

Maybe it's just me but he seems like a different player mentally. If he can continue to grow his confidence with a winning Canucks team he could become a legit #1 starter. 

Key word though is "could". He's an ok plug and play goalie for now. He is competitive though and if he can gain the confidence he had in the AHL he could be a starter.

In the AHL he and baercheese carried the Comets to the Calder Cup finals. After a bad loss in that run he would bounce back and play lights out. If that confidence is restored with the new techniques by Ian Clark I think he can be an every day NHL starter.

I can see Marky in PHI one day.

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Markstrom is 28, the fact we are still debating if he's a #1 goalie at his age probably means he's not a #1 goalie 

Time flys.

I watched Koskinnen shut down the Flyers on Friday and thought he would be the next big thing. Then I discovered he was 30. Phew!

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

tiny sample you're relying on.

46 goalies. Any fewer games and you run into small sample sizes with games and random other goalies on random hot streaks. I figure goalies with fewer games aren't being used as starters anyways, given that 12 games is only about 1/3 of the games. 

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I think that interview with hnic from last night shows a lot about markstrom's development as a goaltender. He seems calmer, more confident, and all about the team. Last year it was all about himself not being good enough and his game.

Maybe it's just me but he seems like a different player mentally. If he can continue to grow his confidence with a winning Canucks team he could become a legit #1 starter. 

Key word though is "could". He's an ok plug and play goalie for now. He is competitive though and if he can gain the confidence he had in the AHL he could be a starter.

In the AHL he and baercheese carried the Comets to the Calder Cup finals. After a bad loss in that run he would bounce back and play lights out. If that confidence is restored with the new techniques by Ian Clark I think he can be an every day NHL starter.

I can see Marky in PHI one day.

"Could" still I guess. But at 28, time is running out.  Thing is, he teases us with incredible saves, solid performances, but has not been able to sustain that for any stretch. He's fallen back flat too many times for me to think he has now magically reached some plateau, because of a few good starts, that he will now never fall from.  I have no problem thinking of Markstrom and Nilsson as #1a and #1b.  And who is who depends on how well they are playing at the moment.  Both are so similar. Both are big Swedes, but more than that, both are much better if they get breaks. Breaks that a normal #1 would not get.  But I'm okay with that, if Marky's ego can take it. 

Between them, they are a solid enough two-headed #1.  Enough to hold the forte until Demko is eased in and then ready.

My take on this has pretty much already been said: Marky has the physical tools and the competitive attitude of a number one.  It’s been tough to judge him as he’s played behind a weaker team (defense in particular) during his time here. 

Is he a top 31 goalie in the league?  Sure.  It looks like (filtering out non-starters) he’s performing at 17th best save % and 20th for gaa this season.

Is he a decent option given the state of the team?  Yes.  We have two blue chippers in Demko and DiPietro in the wings, so no need to break the bank clamouring for a “true” number one.  Marky keeps us competitive, and that’s good enough for now.

Would he need to elevate his game for me to be confident in his ability to win a few playoff series?  Yep.  Though, I don’t think it would have to be a huge leap.  Adding Juolevi and Hughes (maybe a FA) along with healthy set of C’s could be all it takes.

Thats a lot of rambling to say: I think he’s a number one and a good fit for right now, even if he might not be the guy when we’re trying to win a cup with this group.

14 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Despite what Kelly Hrudey said on Saturday's Flyers/Canucks broadcast, Jacob Markstrom has become an NHL #1.

It has taken him longer than most, but this season he has grown as a player, and has shed a lot of his bad habits.

90% of his problems were inside his head... he has all the physical tools to do the job.

He has worked hard to fix his biggest problems.

-  He has worked hard on his focus, and has stopped giving up the early easy goals

-  He has stopped collapsing mentally when he is scored on

-  His puckhandling and decision making has improved drastically  (see tonight's dash out of the net to clear the puck away)

That is not to say he is a allstar, he is not there at the moment, but he is a bonafide NHL starter who can be relied on to give a decent performance every game he starts... if he gets rested correctly.

He does require management... he does not play well for long stretches at a time...  he can't take a huge share of the games, and  he benefits from games off, probably more than most.

If his game share is limited and he has the opportunity to re-focus with days off he will do a competent and capable job.

Is he the top flight Cup winning Goalie a contender needs?  Maybe not.  But he will do for this team until one of Thatcher Demko or Michael Di Pietro get a chance to show their skills.

And Nilsson is a good backup... who has the potential to elevate his game to #1 standards.  He is the ideal partner for Markstrom if he is given enough games to keep sharp.

In my opinion, Markstrom should be playing 4 games for every 2 games Nilsson plays.  55 games for Markstrom, 27 for Nilsson.

It is not worthwhile for the Canucks to rush their acquisition of a star goalie...  the team right now is still developing, the Defense is weak and it would be premature to spend a lot of money trading or signing an elite goalie.  Better to wait and see what we have in the two guys in the minors.  Both of them are potential #1's, perhaps elite.

He really isn't. By default he happens to be ours, but everyone in the org. is just waiting, hoping (and hurrying) Demko comes along. If not Demko, if not Demko, DiPietro. 

We would almost all would trade him for every other teams starting goalie. 

12 hours ago, khay said:

Yes. Luongo is a HOF caliber goalie. People may blame him unfairly for SCF loss but never in our franchise, did we have a goalie with that kind of pedigree. No matter where he played or the team in front of him, he was good for 0.920 save percentage every season.

I'd put Luongo below Hasek and Roy only because those guys were somewhere else entirely in terms of conquering the mental aspect of their game though.

Couldn't agree with you more. 

I agree Roy and Hasek should be ahead... Probably Brodeur too. Luongo #4 imo. 

Mayne #5 Lundqvist? 

Also I'm going relatively modern era... I have another level of respect for the goalies that played in the older days... 

No mask or terrible masks... No padding... Taking shots off the face. They were true warriors 

Archived