The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*UPDATE* Elias Pettersson Has Slight MCL Sprain

Zigmund.Palffy

18 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

I tore my meniscus snowboarding about four years ago, I didn't think it was an even remotely serious injury at the time. I kept riding for the rest of the day.

After about six months of my knee being in varying degrees of pain and on and off swelling I decided it was time to go to my doctor. She told me to do physio and take ibuprofen. After another six months of pain, my knee locking and giving out, and bad swelling, physio seemed to be doing no good (I kept snowboarding and remained pretty active with skateboarding and soccer too, just started wearing a knee brace). So I went back to the doc and asked for an MRI, turns out my meniscus was ripped in half and I needed surgery.

It's been about two years since the surgery now and my knee is much better than before but still definitely not 100 percent. It can still get pretty sore after a long day and it's a lot less flexible than my other knee.

When I saw Pettersson go down with his knee twisted like that and the  skate off I immediately thought meniscus.  

My point is that someone can appear fine and even continue normal physical activities with a torn meniscus.

If Pettersson's MRI does show he's torn his meniscus and he needs surgery then I'd say it's a six week minimum until he's skating again (maybe four because he's an alien).

There's a chance it's just a small tear and he doesn't need surgery but the tricky thing about the meniscus is it doesn't have the ability to heal... like at all. 

Here's hoping Elias is some sort of super bendy alien and he can somehow fall like that without tearing anything.

Great post my friend. As someone who has a torn meniscus in both knee caps do to separate injuries I agree they are a tricky long term injury. Fingers crossed Pettersson doesn’t have that. 

18 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

There's a chance it's just a small tear and he doesn't need surgery but the tricky thing about the meniscus is it doesn't have the ability to heal... like at all. 

This is true, but it's also not very debilitating if it doesn't tear all the way through. I've got partial tears on the meniscus in my right knee, and it's doesn't really impact me at all. The biggest issue associated with it (for me) is that I'm more likely to have it rip all the way eventually. 

Hoping for the best though. Knees are fickle joints that suck to injure.

This whole thing with Petterson is just one small link in the massive chain that is the great "Should Teams Police Themselves" Debate.  In this particular incident I don't think it was particularly intentional (stupid, certainly) but the fact of the matter is that a star on one team was injured with zero response from another.

When coaches go over video for playing the Canucks you had best believe this fact is mentioned and factored into any sort of planning when it comes to containing Petterson.

Voila, now you have a vicious circle of injuries and intent against a young kid in the League who is simply trying to play a game and entertain fans.  Of course this could be curtailed by competent officiating that lacks any sort of game management but that is a pipe dream in this version of the NHL.  

So what are we left with?  Division and confusion...not only among the fanbase, as is clearly shown in this thread but also with the team itself.  

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Gudbrandson, is big, strong, and fast. Punishing. 

He also is a right handed shot. 

Any coach will take that on their team. Find a way to deploy it. Guys don't have to be perfect to be effective players. Of course guys on CDC believe there is a god given expectation for a D man to never have a turnover. Or its they're right to pounce... 

I doubt there is a team in the league that would cut Guddy. They would make room!

Gudbranson is fast? 

Wtf?

27 minutes ago, Quinn12 said:

Yes, the silence over the MRI results worries me...

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

MRI was done yesterday still no word. Well done Canucks.  Was it positive or negative ?

Check out @Canucks’s Tweet:

Check out @Canucks’s Tweet:

Green says it's being done today.

If nothing else the refs should be blamed for both missing a blatant interference call. Maybe there should be 3 refs or none, just computerise the officiating. Why is it they weren't even watching that part of the ice, and is that why it happened to one of the most talented rookies the Canucks have ever had. The whole incident is a typical Johnny Canuck senario though isn't it ?

7 minutes ago, snucks said:

If nothing else the refs should be blamed for both missing a blatant interference call. Maybe there should be 3 refs or none, just computerise the officiating. Why is it they weren't even watching that part of the ice, and is that why it happened to one of the most talented rookies the Canucks have ever had. The whole incident is a typical Johnny Canuck senario though isn't it ?

Not sure what 'typical Johnny Canuck scenario means, but it certainly isn't an exclusive situation for the Canucks.  I'm sure the Oilers fans were pretty devastated when McDavid was taken out for 37 games in his rookie season.  Now that was a targetted cheap shot if I've ever seen one.  Manning even told McD that he hit him with intention. 

I've always thought that there should be a ref in the stands, so he can see what is going on behind the puck.

17 hours ago, Googlie said:

I was at that Gino game !!!  Ballistic is indeed the right word

Those were the days. - Bure's "mother of all elbows",  Linden checking a player thru the glass.

Make the Canucks great again 

This is what used to happen when people touched Bure.  People thought Bure wasn't tough.  Shane Churla would tell you a different story...

I think refs deliberately don’t make calls sometimes.  Whether that’s because a player chirped them, or they’ve called too many against one team or whatever.  

When I was at the Christmas Jets game, a Jet defender almost took Motte’s head off and he had the puck.  The ref was right there, it was clearly a penalty, and he choose not to call it.  

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is what used to happen when people touched Bure.  People thought Bure wasn't tough.  Shane Churla would tell you a different story...

I like Bure, but running into a guy with your elbow I wouldn’t classify as tough. 

1 hour ago, snucks said:

not sure about blatant, it was a hook as he came around the net, happens every shift

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

as much as I enjoyed that play, it was the cheapest f cheap shots.........kind of the opposite of tough.

1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

Gudbranson is fast? 

Wtf?

The knock on Gudbrandson, that may have merit is the fancy stats, or analytics.

Analyticzzz for those who disdain guys who reach over reading their computer calculations of an ideal player.

Can he lug the puck out of pressure, make the correct read and pass are the skills that come to question. Puck play and effect with the puck. But he is a great athlete for a big guy. Plenty of mobility yes.  

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

as much as I enjoyed that play, it was the cheapest f cheap shots.........kind of the opposite of tough.

I hear what you are saying.  However the Dallas players were cheap shotting Bure all game long.  So he fought back.  Nobody touched him again the entire game.  I'm not saying Bure was a tough guy in terms of talking the gloves off and actually fighting, but he definitely was able to take care of himself in his own way.  Back in the day this is what had to be done.  If Bure never pushed back back in those days he would have ended up in a wheelchair...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I hear what you are saying.  However the Dallas players were cheap shotting Bure all game long.  So he fought back.  Nobody touched him again the entire game.  I'm not saying Bure was a tough guy in terms of talking the gloves off and actually fighting, but he definitely was able to take care of himself in his own way.  Back in the day this is what had to be done.  If Bure never pushed back back in those days he would have ended up in a wheelchair...

No argument here, I almost jumped through the ceiling when it happened

Archived