The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers are all in on getting help at forward

The_Rocket

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's my assessment as well. I doubt it will happen given they have McJesus and a desperate Chia (at least until they fire him/hire new GM) but they've really painted themselves in to an awful corner with all their contracts and trades.

Trade Mc, Drai, RNH, Larsson and re-re-re-rebuild.... AGAIN around some of the youth they do have left (+the return from moving those guys) and with the few unmovable/un-valuable vets (Lucic, Spooner, Brodziak, Russel, Petrovic etc) to 'shelter'.

They might as well fold the franchise if they trade McDavid. Everyone else should be fair game for trades at the right price.

10 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

They might as well fold the franchise if they trade McDavid. Everyone else should be fair game for trades at the right price.

The returns from him, RNH, Drai and Larsson would be a hell of a good start to a rebuild on top of Nurse, Boucher, Puljujarvi, Yammamoto, Benson, Bear etc

If I'm ownership though, I wouldn't trust Chia to make ANY of those trades :lol:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The returns from him, RNH, Drai and Larsson would be a hell of a good start to a rebuild on top of Nurse, Boucher, Puljujarvi, Yammamoto, Benson, Bear etc

If I'm ownership though, I wouldn't trust Chia to make ANY of those trades :lol:

Rarely if ever do you get equal value in a trade for a player like McDavid. Those players don't come around too often.

5 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Rarely if ever do you get equal value in a trade for a player like McDavid. Those players don't come around too often.

You're right, its very rare, but has happened. 

Lindros trade would be the best example (aside from McDavid already being a sure thing)

Lindros for: Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Steve Duchesne, 2 firsts and $15M. 

Quebec/Colorado got the best deal out of it, but Lindros in his first 5 years was such a dominant beast. 

5 hours ago, AC Readership said:

They only way Edmonton moves some bad contracts if they add to the trades to make it worthwhile for other teams taking them on or if they just let them expire. If they choose to do the latter then they will be wasting at least 2-3 years of prime McDavid.

I just want the Canucks to not do something stupid by making a dumb trade or go all in to make the playoffs.

You have to remember the expansion draft coming up and I don't think to waive an NMC voids it completely so you can't take any bad contract that has an NMC unless it is one hell of a deal. I don't think that deal exists for Lucic, he's been that bad. It is another reason why I think trading Sutter or Baerstchi makes sense to trade now or this summer.

14 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Probably not 'equal'. But I'd assume he'd garner a vet or two (to cancel some cap mostly), a couple top prospects and a 1st.

Do those ever add up to a 'McDavid'? Probably not, but like I said, it would go a long way towards a rebuild. And I don't see they have much in the way of options given where they are with contracts and cap.

Never mind the very real possibility of MCD simply requesting a trade at some point.

He'd look AWFULLY nice on Nashville :lol:

The team that gets the best player usually wins the trade. And when you’re trading away the best player in the world, you’re never going to get enough back.

As incompetent as the Oilers management is I can’t see them ever trading McDavid.

17 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

The team that gets the best player usually wins the trade. And when you’re trading away the best player in the world, you’re never going to get enough back.

As incompetent as the Oilers management is I can’t see them ever trading McDavid.

Look at that Lindros trade posted above. At the time of the trade Lindros was the best player in the deal. Forsberg surpassed him eventually, but who knows if Lindros was able to stay healthy. So McDavid may be the "best player in the world" (best offensive player would be how I would word it), but you never know what may happen years down the road. Say McDavid was traded to the Canucks for Pettersson, Sutter, Markstrom, Hutton, 2 1sts, is it not possible that maybe Edmonton could come out on top? Remember that Quebec/Colorado won the cup with that trade being integral to it.

23 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

How about when he demands a trade out of that gong show? :lol:

58 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I think he’s too much of a good ol’ boy to do that. He’d likely just bolt as soon as he becomes an RFA

I'm pretty sure a player of his caliber wants to win a cup in his prime and doesn't see that will happen in Edmonton. 

16 hours ago, Wanless said:

So this is a half decent response, one that could have been your original response but instead you decided to go the route of class clown and not give up anything of substance. 

Also, if you looked into what Draisaitl does for the top line on Edmonton a little you would see that Leon’s game is elevated by McDavids game but also the other way around. Also on top of that, leon does the heavy lifting and battling for puck. That combined with his skill is deadly and being paired with Pettersson would also be a fantastic pair as Petey is actually also a sniper and natural goal scorer. And there would also be top line Center insurance if Peter goes down.

on the other hand with Boeser and why I would be ok sending him to Edmonton is that his game is more one dimensional 

Don't agree with you whatsoever on any part of the hockey analysis or the mini-mod approach.   Not sure what a wan is, you have less of something when it comes to alignment with how I evaluate the professional hockey players being discussed.   

2 hours ago, AC Readership said:

I know times have changed, but Quebec won the Lindros trade. A more recent comparable would be Duchene to Ottawa. Colorado made out like bandits even though they gave up the best player in the trade. 

If they can't build a team around McDavid, what's the point in having him? They might not get what some perceive as equal value, but it's probably still better than him wasting away in Edmonton for no reason.

36 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I know times have changed, but Quebec won the Lindros trade. A more recent comparable would be Duchene to Ottawa. Colorado made out like bandits even though they gave up the best player in the trade. 

If they can't build a team around McDavid, what's the point in having him? They might not get what some perceive as equal value, but it's probably still better than him wasting away in Edmonton for no reason.

Everyone always brings up the Eric Lindros trade. The Lindros trade happened when he forced Quebecs hand and hadn’t even stepped foot on the ice yet. 

McDavid is in another stratosphere from Duchene.

Neither of these are comparable.

15 minutes ago, Darius said:

Been listening to cOiler fans chirping for years about how potent their offence is going to be one day, now they are looking for help at forward?

50103840_2342195322469092_28263572168717

where are the gagner/cogliano/schremp shirts?

Archived