The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers are all in on getting help at forward

The_Rocket

27 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Too funny , not just a few short seasons ago, some CDCers were complaining how far we were to then "Contenders" Edmonton Oilers. Look where they are now! 

So those who preach you need this or that for your team to be a contender can plainly see its more then just a "superstar" , "the next Gretzky" ,some "elite" players and 10 million #1 draft picks to make a Stanley Cup team. 

I will take our few Veterans, a couple of young prospects with character and a so-so goalie over that bunch any day. :lol:

who was saying they were contenders? :blink: 

8 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that entire organization needs to be gutted from top to bottom. From the owner to the guy who sweeps popcorn after the game. Everything about it is a malignant disaster. They're gifted opportunities they squander. The only player they didn't ruin was McDavid, and imagine how he'd be doing on an actually competent team. If Edmonton really wants to be competitive again they need to retool every asset of the organization.

they do but hope they dont, oilers can frig off with there 10 years of top 10 picks and 1st OA's...

5 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

they do but hope they dont, oilers can frig off with there 10 years of top 10 picks and 1st OA's...

Oh watching the Oilers crash and burn is almost as good as watching the Canucks win. I hope they never get it together. I'm just saying what actually needs to happen rather than the bandaids and superfluous moves the team keeps making. I will say though it is insanely frustrating to watch the team continually get rewarded with top picks for their ineptitude and proceed to ruin them, especially when the Canucks continually get shafted in the lottery. 

I do actually feel bad for McDavid though. He seems like a genuinely good kid and he's insanely fun to watch. It sucks he has to waste away in Edmordor.

6 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Oh watching the Oilers crash and burn is almost as good as watching the Canucks win. I hope they never get it together. I'm just saying what actually needs to happen rather than the bandaids and superfluous moves the team keeps making. I will say though it is insanely frustrating to watch the team continually get rewarded with top picks for their ineptitude and proceed to ruin them, especially when the Canucks continually get shafted in the lottery. 

I do actually feel bad for McDavid though. He seems like a genuinely good kid and he's insanely fun to watch. It sucks he has to waste away in Edmordor.

yeah im a big fan of McDavid other than some of his antics and whining.

56 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Noooooooooooooooooo.  At least not unless we get something to balance that out.

Lucic is not worth it, at all.  Loui has more offense and waaaaay more defense.  Lucic has an extra year on the bad contract, too.  There are other, better ways to get tougher, imo.

Well my original post was about acquiring Poolparty. You gotta give to get. Eriksson, while overpaid, is vastly superior to Lucic. That elemental to a trade may be a deal maker.

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Well my original post was about acquiring Poolparty. You gotta give to get. Eriksson, while overpaid, is vastly superior to Lucic. That elemental to a trade may be a deal maker.

When you said in your post about a lateral swap, I took it to mean that was doable on its own.  Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Giving up Goldy/Poulliot (which I assumed meant both) for Puljujarvi could be enough as it is without the Looch/Loui.  I haven't seen much of Puljujarvi, although I was as excited as many when it looked like he might fall to us back then, but that was only based on everyone else's input on him.  I don't follow the kids in the drafts as much as many here on CDC.

26 minutes ago, Kragar said:

When you said in your post about a lateral swap, I took it to mean that was doable on its own.  Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Giving up Goldy/Poulliot (which I assumed meant both) for Puljujarvi could be enough as it is without the Looch/Loui.  I haven't seen much of Puljujarvi, although I was as excited as many when it looked like he might fall to us back then, but that was only based on everyone else's input on him.  I don't follow the kids in the drafts as much as many here on CDC.

He has not looked good since his draft. I followed him closely in his draft year and may be biased do to that. I'm also no more then a fan of hockey, so my opinion is just that, an opinion.

I would more then happy with the deal I outlined above. Goldy, while producing points, has done more to play himself off the team then solidify himself in our top 6. Pou has had good games and bad games, but doesn't look more then a 3rd pairing guy. With young LDs coming up I don't see a place for him long term. Pul is a lotto ticket that may bust, or may become a first line player. In my opinion he is worth acquiring, even if Lucic is the kicker. Could backfire on us, could vastly change our franchise for the better. 

Can't score if you don't shoot.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:40 PM, oldnews said:

Goldobin for Tyler Benson.

Call it in.

EDM

Goldobin or Bärtschi

Hutton or Pouliot

Tanev

VAN

1EDM19

Puljujarvi

Benson

That Edmonton 1st is the big prize. Imagine going into the 2019 entry draft and have two high 1st. Could Chiarelli be persuaded?

The Canucks currently hold the 12th pick and the Oilers the 13th pick.

What Benning could come out of the draft with yet again...

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

He has not looked good since his draft. I followed him closely in his draft year and may be biased do to that. I'm also no more then a fan of hockey, so my opinion is just that, an opinion.

I would more then happy with the deal I outlined above. Goldy, while producing points, has done more to play himself off the team then solidify himself in our top 6. Pou has had good games and bad games, but doesn't look more then a 3rd pairing guy. With young LDs coming up I don't see a place for him long term. Pul is a lotto ticket that may bust, or may become a first line player. In my opinion he is worth acquiring, even if Lucic is the kicker. Could backfire on us, could vastly change our franchise for the better. 

Well going off Poolpartys worth on your post and other peoples, talk about Edmonton screwing up another prospects potentials lol, only ones they havent rushed prematurely is bouchard probably find a way to do that too in the future...

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

EDM

Goldobin or Bärtschi

Hutton or Pouliot

Tanev

VAN

1EDM19

Puljujarvi

Benson

That Edmonton 1st is the big prize. Imagine going into the 2019 entry draft and have two high 1st. Could Chiarelli be persuaded?

The Canucks currently hold the 12th pick and the Oilers the 13th pick.

What Benning could come out of the draft with yet again...

How about 

Goldobin, Granlund and Pouliot For their 1st. 

Will Chia accept, yes he will, yes he will!!

8 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Yea I don't see anyone taking his contract it is one that maybe possibly they could buy out. Sekera I don't know the extent of his injury but that is lucky if he is on LTIR for the next 2 years. There is no way they trade Draisaitl unless they got some stud Dman for him which I just can't see happening.

I could see Draisaitl go for Gostisbehere or OEL. Now they have a huge hole in their forward group. Edmonton just has too many holes to fill, they need to blow it up again and clear house in the front office.

8 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I think Bouchard comes on the table if you're taking a contract back like Russell and Tanev's name is on the trade. 

Don't think that trade happens until the offseason though. Russell has a NMC this season and has a M-NTC.

Although the Canucks could use wing help in Puljujarvi

6 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Don't want any part of Lucic's contract unless the Oilers give up more than Puljujarvi. Dumping his contract is worth at least 2 non lotto protected 1st Rd draft picks.

36 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

I could see Draisaitl go for Gostisbehere or OEL. Now they have a huge hole in their forward group. Edmonton just has too many holes to fill, they need to blow it up again and clear house in the front office.

Don't think that trade happens until the offseason though. Russell has a NMC this season and has a M-NTC.

Doesn't have to be Russell just not Lucic. Edmonton is just a giant mess everyone has no trade clauses on big contracts and they suck. I don't even know how you can end up in a situation this bad.

36 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Doesn't have to be Russell just not Lucic. Edmonton is just a giant mess everyone has no trade clauses on big contracts and they suck. I don't even know how you can end up in a situation this bad.

They only way Edmonton moves some bad contracts if they add to the trades to make it worthwhile for other teams taking them on or if they just let them expire. If they choose to do the latter then they will be wasting at least 2-3 years of prime McDavid.

I just want the Canucks to not do something stupid by making a dumb trade or go all in to make the playoffs.

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So a one line team then.... man, with that wealth of lotto luck thats what they are now. 

You should hear everyone now. Lucic has 3 goals in January so apparently 'he's back!'. Even today there is outrage over Bouchard and Yamamoto not being on Craig Button's top 50 prospect list. Desperate times on the prairies.

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

You should hear everyone now. Lucic has 3 goals in January so apparently 'he's back!'. Even today there is outrage over Bouchard and Yamamoto not being on Craig Button's top 50 prospect list. Desperate times on the prairies.

its a pretty deep list if Gaudette is 41st on it. Plus Bouchard should be grateful, maybe Edmonton won't rush him now and ruin his career. 

9 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Mario Lemieux and the Pens made the playoffs once in his first 6 seasons. Did that ruin him?

so many trade proposals that could make sense but yet simply are non starters

so let's set the real goalposts for any trade

roster considerations

oilers are at 48/50 contracts  - so they cannot take on more then 2 more players then they are giving up from their current contract grouping

oilers are at 23/23 roster limit - so any trade will need to explain what happens to any extra roster players oilers might take on in any trade (note:  bouchard is not on their roster)

salary cap considerations:

oilers have $51,000 in cap space according to capfriendly

oilers have used up just a shade over $2 million dollars of ltir list money

they have 1 player on their ltir list - sekara - with cap hit of $5.5 million - which in theory leaves them with just under $3.5 million in cap space to use to take on additional salary in any trade (but that assumes, or may necessitate, that sekara does not return to play this season)

if you cannot make a trade proposal that fits within these criteria

then please don't, as it cannot work

(ps - you cannot trade sutter for bouchard - salary difference does not work, trade also has to explain what oilers will with the extra body they have on their roster)

4 hours ago, AC Readership said:

Edmonton just has too many holes to fill, they need to blow it up again and clear house in the front office.

That's my assessment as well. I doubt it will happen given they have McJesus and a desperate Chia (at least until they fire him/hire new GM) but they've really painted themselves in to an awful corner with all their contracts and trades.

Trade Mc, Drai, RNH, Larsson and re-re-re-rebuild.... AGAIN around some of the youth they do have left (+the return from moving those guys) and with the few unmovable/un-valuable vets (Lucic, Spooner, Brodziak, Russel, Petrovic etc) to 'shelter'.

Archived