The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake or Goldy

Toyotasfan

Goldolbin or Virtanen  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Next game , who would you put in the line up?

• Jake Virtanen
    • Nicolay Goldolbin
    • Tim Schaller
    • Bench someone else , let them both play

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/2019 at 11:00 PM

Jake should be given some steady linemates for once.  Being bounced up and down the lineup has to be a colossal mindwarp for him.  He excelled on the 3rd line.  Was a dud when moved up.  Is kind of floundering now that he is in a checking role again.  Consistency will come when the coach has some, I think.  Not all players are designed to bounce up and down the line up.  Also, give him a herring every time he bullrushes the net with the puck.  Some kind of positive reinforcement has to work for Jake.

Hopefully the break is a good reset for Jake.  I dont think a) playing with Sutter and b) matching up with the other teams top lines is helping him get offensive opportunities.  Botchford was saying he should get a legit chance to play with Horvat and I agree- especially over a guy like Granny.  

As for Goldy, he needs to be able to play with someone other than EP, so I guess that leaves Horvat since he needs to be in the top 6.  Would be nice if Goldy Horvat Jake could find some chemistry together.

My ideal situation is trade Sutter.  I think Beagle is showing he can handle the tough match ups.  And btw Horvat/Gaudette they can (hopefully) cover the rest.  

10 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Hopefully the break is a good reset for Jake.  I dont think a) playing with Sutter and b) matching up with the other teams top lines is helping him get offensive opportunities.  Botchford was saying he should get a legit chance to play with Horvat and I agree- especially over a guy like Granny.  

As for Goldy, he needs to be able to play with someone other than EP, so I guess that leaves Horvat since he needs to be in the top 6.  Would be nice if Goldy Horvat Jake could find some chemistry together.

My ideal situation is trade Sutter.  I think Beagle is showing he can handle the tough match ups.  And btw Horvat/Gaudette they can (hopefully) cover the rest.  

I can’t handle watching granlund play. Besides killing a few penalties, he should not be playing with horvat. Waste of time. Pouliot, Schaller, Sutter (his contract will make it impossible to trade him), and granlund need to go. Slowing the team down. 

Jake all the way.

His consistency still needs work but he is engaged in all three zones. Mistakes are made but he's trying.

Goldy only plays half the game of hockey and looks completely disinterested in the other half.

Imo, a team that preaches two-way play has no room for a player that only thinks in one direction.

The fact that Green seems to have little interest in playing Goldy, tells me that his day in Vancouver could be numbered.

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Jake should be given some steady linemates for once.  Being bounced up and down the lineup has to be a colossal mindwarp for him.  He excelled on the 3rd line.  Was a dud when moved up.  Is kind of floundering now that he is in a checking role again.  Consistency will come when the coach has some, I think.  Not all players are designed to bounce up and down the line up.  Also, give him a herring every time he bullrushes the net with the puck.  Some kind of positive reinforcement has to work for Jake.

players want to play...not playing them, kills their confidence. Saw Jake serve the double minor for Roussel and he looked frustrated.

As for Goldy, the team isn't playing great when he is in the press box...he is fourth in scoring and has played less games than LE, who has less points and is a -6 (Goldy is a -7).

Goldy has upside and he needs to be played in order to increase his upside and trade value...sitting him kills his confidence and reduces his trade value.

It looks like the team is moving on from him...therefore, management needs to increase the trade value.

Granny, Schaller and LE can sit a few games so Jake and Goldy both get minutes.

I believe that Jake will really come alive in ‘playoff style’ hockey.  His speed and ‘truculence’(^_^) will be invaluable.  Plus he is really beginning to understand how to play defensively.  He is still young and still figuring out the game.

I like Goldobin as a playmaker, but I can understand Green’s frustration with Goldy’s lack of commitment to playing 200 feet.  That kind of play is disasterous in the playoffs.  I suspect the lack of commitment on defence, with playoffs in mind, is what has the coaching staff and management a little worried about Goldy.  Sounds like it was why San Jose felt he was expendable.  I sure hope he figures it out, but I suspect management is nearly done with Goldobin.

Benning’s interview:

“If there’s a hockey deal to do for one of our younger players, I’m not going to say our prospects, but a player we have on our team for a different look, a player on another team that we think is going to help us, we’ll look at something like that.”

Sounds like Benning is looking to trade someone and I suspect Goldobin could be getting shopped.  With Larionov getting upset that Goldobin isn’t being allowed to add to his point totals and increase his next contract value, I’m sure a phone call has already taken place...

5 minutes ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

I believe that Jake will really come alive in ‘playoff style’ hockey.  His speed and ‘truculence’(^_^) will be invaluable.  Plus he is really beginning to understand how to play defensively.  He is still young and still figuring out the game.

I like Goldobin as a playmaker, but I can understand Green’s frustration with Goldy’s lack of commitment to playing 200 feet.  That kind of play is disasterous in the playoffs.  I suspect the lack of commitment on defence, with playoffs in mind, is what has the coaching staff and management a little worried about Goldy.  Sounds like it was why San Jose felt he was expendable.  I sure hope he figures it out, but I suspect management is nearly done with Goldobin.

Benning’s interview:

“If there’s a hockey deal to do for one of our younger players, I’m not going to say our prospects, but a player we have on our team for a different look, a player on another team that we think is going to help us, we’ll look at something like that.”

Sounds like Benning is looking to trade someone and I suspect Goldobin could be getting shopped.  With Larionov getting upset that Goldobin isn’t being allowed to add to his point totals and increase his next contract value, I’m sure a phone call has already taken place...

I’ll give ?Goldy credit.  He’s been a good soldier trough all this sitting out.  Not a peep of negativity from him.  I think Green should play Holdy when the break is over.  Goldy And Petey are very good together.  

4 hours ago, xereau said:

Baertschi is being better treated better than Virtanen -- at least in terms of consistent linemates/consistent role.  I don't think Baertschi is going to be half the player Jake will be.  So, what's wrong?  How did this happen? Is it the coach's fault? What can be done?  I think consistency is a very good point to bring up.  I've always liked Babcock as a coach, and that guy spends a lot of time thinking about who plays best with whom. Admittedly usually early in the project/season.  And then settles on the lines.  Look what he did with the Team Canadas.  Green is maybe too quick to move players around, maybe being a Junior/AHL guy does this?  Don't know.  Virtanen is a natural 3rd line hitter/forechecker.  But that cannot be where he is allowed to settle in at.  He has to be a top 6 guy, and I think he can be -- on a lot of nights he actually has been.  His passing and playmaking is improving season by season, just like Bertuzzi's did.  Maybe, like Bertuzzi he needs to combine the clearing space and individual play thing he did so well.  That every power forward tends to do well. (A couple of games back Jake knocked a couple of players out of the way on one hit -- reminded me of Bert at his best.)   Reward him for going to the net, but at the same time continue to develop his vision: with his speed he often has acres of space, much like Pettersson.  The trick, obviously, is for him to develop better vision to take advantage of this.  He seems torn between (1) rushing like mad for the net, then shooting because he can't go any further -- or just shooting from any angle, any time and (2), trying to set up plays, look around for who he can do give and goes with, but often ends with him making a quirky pass or fading out.  He is really still trying to find his game.  It's amazing to watch a player develop like this.  He deserves credit for working through all this.

I used to think with Linden Vey, that maybe he'd get the little extra speed or zip somewhere to take his skills to the level they seemed to suggest they should be.  But, he never did it, not here anyway.   Virtanen is different because he can already function as a terrific 3rd liner who will kill in the playoffs, something of value.  But at the same time, before he is too old, he has to get a chance to be better than that. 

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Baertschi is being better treated better than Virtanen -- at least in terms of consistent linemates/consistent role.  I don't think Baertschi is going to be half the player Jake will be.  So, what's wrong?  How did this happen? Is it the coach's fault? What can be done?  I think consistency is a very good point to bring up.  I've always liked Babcock as a coach, and that guy spends a lot of time thinking about who plays best with whom. Admittedly usually early in the project/season.  And then settles on the lines.  Look what he did with the Team Canadas.  Green is maybe too quick to move players around, maybe being a Junior/AHL guy does this?  Don't know.  Virtanen is a natural 3rd line hitter/forechecker.  But that cannot be where he is allowed to settle in at.  He has to be a top 6 guy, and I think he can be -- on a lot of nights he actually has been.  His passing and playmaking is improving season by season, just like Bertuzzi's did.  Maybe, like Bertuzzi he needs to combine the clearing space and individual play thing he did so well.  That every power forward tends to do well. (A couple of games back Jake knocked a couple of players out of the way on one hit -- reminded me of Bert at his best.)   Reward him for going to the net, but at the same time continue to develop his vision: with his speed he often has acres of space, much like Pettersson.  The trick, obviously, is for him to develop better vision to take advantage of this.  He seems torn between (1) rushing like mad for the net, then shooting because he can't go any further -- or just shooting from any angle, any time and (2), trying to set up plays, look around for who he can do give and goes with, but often ends with him making a quirky pass or fading out.  He is really still trying to find his game.  It's amazing to watch a player develop like this.  He deserves credit for working through all this.

I used to think with Linden Vey, that maybe he'd get the little extra speed or zip somewhere to take his skills to the level they seemed to suggest they should be.  But, he never did it, not here anyway.   Virtanen is different because he can already function as a terrific 3rd liner who will kill in the playoffs, something of value.  But at the same time, before he is too old, he has to get a chance to be better than that. 

Jake us also a natural left winger.  Why ?Green keeps trying to force Jake to play right wing is beyond me.  I heard Green say he wants Jake to learn right wing, before he puts him on left wing.  I thought, why not get Jake to learn left wing first, which is his natural side you inflexible stink face? 

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake us also a natural left winger.  Why ?Green keeps trying to force Jake to play right wing is beyond me.  I heard Green say he wants Jake to learn right wing, before he puts him on left wing.  I thought, why not get Jake to learn left wing first, which is his natural side you inflexible stink face? 

Green says Virtanen is a natural right wing.  So does Benning - it was one of his explanation for trading Kassian who is RW but Prust was LW so it opened up a spot for Virtanen.  The Hitmen also played him on RW.  Someone on HF compiled all the starting lineups in his draft+1 and he was always on RW save for 1 game.  

Archived