The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Feb. 04, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I find it absolutely hilarious that any time we lose on here this year it’s a “terribly officiated game@ because ya know that’s the only way we’re going to lose.

it couldn’t be because the other team

had won eight in a row and we scored one goal.

i get Travis green was yelling at the refs for too many men but he complains every game it’s one of his tricks up his sleeve

It was definitely a terribly officiated game.

2 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Hope Edler is ok. 

What a game by Hart. 

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

We outplayed them, especially after Edler was hurt.  I wasn't expecting them to be that focused after such a gruesome injury, but this team has buckets of character.  Hope Edler is gonna be okay. 

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Yeah Guddy didn't look gud at all. How many times did we see him hold the puck behind the net for a dozen seconds only to pass it in someone's skates or directly to the other team? Not exactly an adept play when you've got all the time and space in the world.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Sometimes you run into a goaltender and they stone you, it happened tonight. It's happened to other teams running into Marky lately. Deserved a better fate but that's hockey.

Here's hoping Eddie's okay.

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Hutton and Stecher were on the ice for 12 shots for and just 4 against at even strength.

Edler was on for 11 shots for and 7 against before his injury. Tanev ended up with 13 for and 7 against. 

Pouliot was on for 5 shots for and 13 against. Gudbranson brings up the rear with just 3 shots for and 13 against. 

Ben Hutton lead the team with 25:02 toi. Tanev was second with 20:41. Edler and Stecher had roughly 19 minutes each. Pouliot and Gudbranson had 14 minutes each. 

Brandon Sutter has gotten more ice time than Pettersson in two straight games. 

Frustrating game to lose, but the headlines are in Zhukini's post: Edler and Hart.

1. The post game information makes it seem like things are not as bad as they looked for Edler. But a concussion or facial fracture is certainly possible. I think he has to miss at least a couple of games for precautionary reasons if nothing else. Hope it is not too much longer. Anyway, we should get more information tomorrow after xrays.

2. Hart was very good. There has been some back and forth over his rebound control and over how many really tough chances he faced, but he played well. The  Canucks had at least a couple of posts or crossbars and a puck that probably went in on a shot from Virtanen. But Hart is still looking like a hot goalie  That is particularly frustrating as he is now probably EP's most significant competition for the Calder. EP is still a big favorite but I hope Hart does not keep this up this hot streak for another month. Maybe in the future we will be talking about Hart as a candidate for the Hart.

3. The Canucks were the better team overall, although there were ebbs and flows. The Canucks started strong but Philly took over in the second part of the first period. The Canucks came on strong late, which is a good sign.

4. The Canuck PK has been very good and was pretty good tonight against despite giving up a goal. Before the goal Eriksson made a good play to create a scoring chance with Sutter, but those guys were tired coming back. Eriksson was able to get to the bench, but Sutter was not. The biggest problem on the play was Guddy being slightly out of position. It wasn't a terrible play but he got in too deep, allowing Couturier too much time and space from a high danger area to pick his spot.  I still think Stecher should get some of Guddy's PK time. As Duodenum indicates, Hutton and Stecher were very good 5 on 5 again while Pouliot and Guddy continue to struggle even getting protected minutes. And, not to let Tanev off the hook, he generally played well but obviously his giveaway led to the GWG. It does not happen often to Tanev, but it happened tonight.

5. One of the "positives" is that EP seems to be okay despite going into the boards awkwardly in the first period. He got hurt because he tries so hard. He lost the puck in the o-zone trying to make a creative play on the PP and skated back at high speed to be the first forward back on the backcheck but could not fully control his body position and got tangled with Edler and fell into the boards. That's just the way EP plays. He was a little off after that, but still made some good plays.

6. Virtanen played well again and was unlucky not to score. Boeser was also very good.

7. I think the Canucks miss Baertschi. They need two legitimate scoring lines and Horvat with Leivo and Schaller is not the answer for a second scoring line. Horvat with Roussel and Virtanen is probably the best bet for a second scoring line after the Pettersson line.

8. Schaller finally got back into the lineup. Not sure he helped his cause. He did not do much and did not get much ice-time. But even in just 5+ minutes he needs to do something. He didn't. No shots, no hits, no blocked shots, The Canucks were outshot 4 ot 1 wiith him on the ice.

8. Still not sold on Goldy. Hart robbed him on the rebound off EP's shot.but, as others have pointed out, he was a bit slow getting the shot off, A bang-bang play probably scores. He has done that a few times this year and should have buried more given the set-ups he has had from EP.

9. Finally, Marky was very good again, which is good sign.

Tonight was not a perfect game but if the Canucks continue to play like this they will win a lot more than they lose (provided Edler is not out too long).

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I find it absolutely hilarious that any time we lose on here this year it’s a “terribly officiated game@ because ya know that’s the only way we’re going to lose.

it couldn’t be because the other team

had won eight in a row and we scored one goal.

i get Travis green was yelling at the refs for too many men but he complains every game it’s one of his tricks up his sleeve

The refs missed 2 too many men penalties.......yes, I would consider that bad officiating. 

52 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Benning made it pretty clear they want to bring Edler back. At this point I can't imagine he isn't back.

They prob want Tanev to play with Hughes. Problem will be if they can re-sign him to keep him beyond next year. & If not will they actually trade him?

Gudbranson I think they should move. I know some people don't agree. I don't think they'll trade Stecher. But Hutton will be the big question mark.

Are they going to give Hutton 4 million on a multi-year deal? That's what it comes down too. Deciding if they'll pay him & where he'll fit. Maybe they can use him to try and get a RHD or a FWD. 

I know lots of people have been asking for a Guddy trade. And like most of us, I haven't been happy with his play either.

But... Multiple times this year we've jumped on the players for not having enough backbone. Gudbranson is one of the few tough fothermuckers on this team, and probably the best fighter as well. I'm on the fence for whether or not I want him traded or not. 

4 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

The refs missed 2 too many men penalties.......yes, I would consider that bad officiating. 

I’m saying it happens in every game I watch they’re humans and it’s not just because Vancouver is “screwed” which too many people on here Love to claim

it’s a victim mentality suited for babies I won’t embrace

open your eyes and you’d see other

trsms getting screwed nightly just the same.

the difference is not every one of there fsns blame the refs for each loss. This is why we get roasted and im

sick of this conspiracy crap ...

our stars produced nothing but let’s blame the refs one goal and a kid goalie robbed us

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I’m saying it happens in every game I watch they’re humans and it’s not just because Vancouver is “screwed” which too many people on here Love to claim

it’s a victim mentality suited for babies I won’t embrace

open your eyes and you’d see other

trsms getting screwed nightly just the same.

the difference is not every one of there fsns blame the refs for each loss. This is why we get roasted and im

sick of this conspiracy crap ...

our stars produced nothing but let’s blame the refs one goal and a kid goalie robbed us

If they can't count then they shouldn't be professional referees.

I think the Canucks played a good game tonight BTW....not blaming anyone, just pointing out facts.

It hurts even more as a longtime Edler fan to see him get injured like that. :( 

I respect that man’s work ethic and humble attitude especially after how he gets treated in the media sometimes.

I’m relived he was able to walk by himself afterwards. Let’s hope the X-Rays and CT scans come back okay. Thoughts are with you Eagle. I’m wearing my Edler jersey with pride!

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

He's gone to hospital for x-rays and CT scan. 

Fell on his face. Cuts to nose and forehead.. looked like he was knocked out.. didnt move for a minute...lots of Blood...likely from broken nose. 

Guessing concussion and broken nose. 

they'd do that just to rule out internal bleeding or swelling and check for small fractures, so just have to wait for results. 

walking around on his own is a good sign tho. 

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Excuses every single

time we lose just cause we’re in a playoff race, it happens every single

time.....every team

In this league deals with crappy calls and non calls

Even other leagues , I bet the New Orlean Saints wish they played yesterday. But one non call and we see the Rams score 3 points.

9 minutes ago, Whaleroad Train said:

Just wondering.  How many minutes in the penalty box did the Philly player get for hooking Edler down and causing his injury?

Congrats for being the only person who suggested there should have been a penalty on that play. 

having a ref like tim peel make a mess of the game(s) that he has is disgusting. sure refs are humans , but peel is just plain awful and should not be reffing. the puck went in the net but peel jumped and blew his whistle too fast.  too many games he has blown a game and not just against the canucks, 

28 minutes ago, xereau said:

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise, and we get to see a guy from Utica make the next step a few months early.

Brisebois or Sautner, come on down!

This was my 2nd thought. first thought was hoping the eddy makes a quick recovery because it looked very scary.  My 3rd thought was why couldn't it be pouliot...

41 shots and we only scored one frinnin’ goal!  What the hell?  Ya, I stated drinking early, but come I r,?  You bastRds gotta scor ob you chances.  Either you are Vup level players, or joy punks.  What are you boys!  If you can’t fribbin svire three one 41 $&!#s, I’m says you’re punks.  Isn’t stitch the best?  I hate the LeFs .  Leafs fans should get banned from CDC.  Seriously, why are LeFs fans allowed to be Here?  Is there anything worse than a Leafs fan on CDC.  Please @debluvscanucks ban all thie stinky LeFs fans from here.  I hate these Leafs fans!  (Except for ?Mrs. alf, of course). 

Entertaining game, we outplayed them but Hart played great. Referees failed to do their job consistently. Hope Edler isn't out to long, Losing him longterm could definitely impact any post season aspiration. Seeing large amounts of blood on the ice always makes me go to worst case scenarios ever since I watched the Clint Malarchuk game way back. 

Archived