The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks re-sign Jakob Silfverberg

The Anaheim Ducks and pending unrestricted free-agent forward Jakob Silfverberg agreed on a five-year contract extension, according to Eric Stephens and Josh Cooper of The Athletic.

The deal is worth more than $5 million annually and contains a modified 10-team no-trade clause, but it won't be officially announced until March 1 or later to give the Ducks time to sort out tagging issues, according to TSN's Darren Dreger.

Silfverberg was acquired by the Ducks from the Ottawa Senators in 2013 and signed a four-year, $15-million contract with Anaheim two years later.

The 28-year-old has 16 goals and eight assists in 51 games this season.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1720457

12 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Smells like a sign and trade. March 1st is after the TDL.

It's after the TDL because they are hoping to move out another contract by then.  Tagging - they have too much cap committed for next season and need to clear cap space to be able to sign him.

16 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

16 goals 8 assists. Reflective of the team around him. He could probably have like 30-40 points right now if he were on a good team. Not a bad deal for a really solid two way guy imo.

I kind of see him and Baertschi as kind of the same player...…..do you see Baertschi as a $5 Million dollar player?

Maybe I am a little off...….but that is kind who he reminds me of...……...thoughts?

7 minutes ago, billabong said:

Holding onto vets before entering a rebuild, sound familiar? 

Should have traded him and try to get younger. Huge miss. 

They're in the mess they are in because they gave big contracts to a bunch of guys in their late 20's, who are now aging out. It made sense when they were winning, but now? Didn't they learn with the deal they just gave to Henrique a few months ago?

Unless Murray is starting to realize Carlyle was just a bad coach, and/or the team was sick to death of him. Since Randy was canned, the team has gone 3-1, outscoring their opponents 10-5. And they have some decent young guys coming in (Comtois, Steel...).

Maybe Murray thinks the team can be competitive next season?

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I kind of see him and Baertschi as kind of the same player...…..do you see Baertschi as a $5 Million dollar player?

Maybe I am a little off...….but that is kind who he reminds me of...……...thoughts?

We don't know what a completely healthy Baer brings. But if we take his numbers and put them on pace over a full season I'd say so. 20 goals, 40+ points. Good on both ends of the ice. I think Silfverberg is a tad better defensively but that is a pretty apt comparison. Would I give a healthy Baertschi 5mil per? I sure would. Especially if he gave 20 goals 40+ points and was healthy. Our team plays noticeably better offensively with him in the lineup. Nobody was complaining about our PP when Baer was healthy. Now that he is gone all of a sudden our PP sucks and half the coaching staff needs to be fired. But now I am getting off topic. Silfvergberg in my opinion is worth what he is getting. 16 goals and 8 assists with 41% ozone starts is great production for a guy on a really bad team. He's not that superstar flashy guy but he's good and I'd say 5 mil is good value for a two way 20 goal scorer.

23 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

We don't know what a completely healthy Baer brings. But if we take his numbers and put them on pace over a full season I'd say so. 20 goals, 40+ points. Good on both ends of the ice. I think Silfverberg is a tad better defensively but that is a pretty apt comparison. Would I give a healthy Baertschi 5mil per? I sure would. Especially if he gave 20 goals 40+ points and was healthy. Our team plays noticeably better offensively with him in the lineup. Nobody was complaining about our PP when Baer was healthy. Now that he is gone all of a sudden our PP sucks and half the coaching staff needs to be fired. But now I am getting off topic. Silfvergberg in my opinion is worth what he is getting. 16 goals and 8 assists with 41% ozone starts is great production for a guy on a really bad team. He's not that superstar flashy guy but he's good and I'd say 5 mil is good value for a two way 20 goal scorer.

I don't know....take a look at the PPG, and there are not too many that are getting 5M

Kadri, who is a much better player IMO, with a lot more points a year, and never injured is getting 4.5 to the next 4 years...….

I think Baertschi is a 4.250 Million a year guy at best...certainly no more than 4.5...…..

Tyler Bozak is getting 5 Million per …….so I don't know......

I guess I am wrong...….but I would have moved him

And I thought I knew everything!

44 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Jakub is 6'1" 204lbs and plays like it. He may not be a scrapper but he makes power moves that Bae cannot. They are both good players in their own right I personally don't see them as comparable other than stats. 

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know....take a look at the PPG, and there are not too many that are getting 5M

Kadri, who is a much better player IMO, with a lot more points a year, and never injured is getting 4.5 to the next 4 years...….

I think Baertschi is a 4.250 Million a year guy at best...certainly no more than 4.5...…..

Tyler Bozak is getting 5 Million per …….so I don't know......

I guess I am wrong...….but I would have moved him

And I thought I knew everything!

5mil is definitely a bit high, but like I said with the Baer example we look infinitely better with him in the lineup. I don't watch a ton of Anaheim games but 5 mil for a 20 goal scorer that kills penalties and is defensively responsible isn't bad. That's what we paid Vrbata way back when and he was anemic defensively.

3 hours ago, mll said:

It's after the TDL because they are hoping to move out another contract by then.  Tagging - they have too much cap committed for next season and need to clear cap space to be able to sign him.

so who do they move tho.... they can't really afford to shed talent. 

5 hours ago, billabong said:

Holding onto vets before entering a rebuild, sound familiar? 

Should have traded him and try to get younger. Huge miss. 

Perhaps they didn't want to sell low as a rental. They may have fielded proposals and weren't happy with what's being offered and figured that they would get more value in hanging on to him. He would still be tradable and especially moreso if he can raise his stock which doesn't seem unreasonable. He's still in his "prime" years. He's still on pace for around 40 points despite how bad his team is. His goal production is actually on pace for 25 over a full season which would be the highest of his career thus far, so perhaps of the team was better overall, he could bump up his 8 assists and actually be having one of his best seasons. He plays with an edge as well and is one of their go-to PK forwards.

Anaheim actually has some decent prospects in their system in Lundestrom, Comtois, Steel, Mahura, Larsson. So they could very well be re-building/re-tooling on the fly. The reason why it looked worse when the Canucks were on a similar path was because we had years of horrible drafting which really forced a full on rebuild.

Archived