-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Virtanen

Horvat

Boeser

Roussel

Tryamkin and Schenn*hopefully return*

Those are tough players to play against

Or are you mad that he drafted the soft swede over Glass?

Boeser?  hard to play against?  He's not hard to play against.  He's an excellent player, but he's not really hard to play against.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser?  hard to play against?  He's not hard to play against.  He's an excellent player, but he's not really hard to play against.  

as he gets stronger he will be. I hope he focuses on skating vs. hitting the gym hard again. 

• Upvote 1

I think the term 'hard to play against' shouldn't be the focus -- but 'strong and able to stand up to physical play' should be. 

This can be either/or dishing out or resisting getting rubbed out and survive in the playoffs, and I think these all fit:

Virtanen

Horvat

Boeser 

Roussel

Levo

Pearson

Beagle

Erickson

Juries out on:

Sutter

Gaudette

Motte

Grandlund

Pettersson 

9 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

I think the term 'hard to play against' shouldn't be the focus -- but 'strong and able to stand up to physical play' should be. 

This can be either/or dishing out or resisting getting rubbed out and survive in the playoffs, and I think these all fit:

Virtanen

Horvat

Boeser 

Roussel

Levo

Pearson

Beagle

Erickson

Juries out on:

Sutter

Gaudette

Motte

Grandlund

Pettersson 

Petey is hard to play against.  He's likely the hardest guy on our team to play against.  He is a threat to score every shift.  That's hard to play against.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is hard to play against.  He's likely the hardest guy on our team to play against.  He is a threat to score every shift.  That's hard to play against.  

No argument about that from me, but then why did you post that Boeser is not hard to play against?

As for my post:

I'm simply stating we don't know how he will stand up to a playoff grind.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

No argument about that from me, but then why did you post that Boeser is not hard to play against?

As for my post:

I'm simply stating we don't know how he will stand up to a playoff grind.

Boeser doesn't control the game like Petey.  Boeser is great at what he does - finishing.  Petey controls the game by possessing the puck.  That's hard to play against.  

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser doesn't control the game like Petey.  Boeser is great at what he does - finishing.  Petey controls the game by possessing the puck.  That's hard to play against.  

I agree actually, the puck possession isn't all that makes Petey hard to play against, but that he brings so many other facets to the game.  He is an elusive skater, he is a depth passer and shooter, he controls the puck like you said, he finishes his checks despite his lanky size, and he comes back hard on the back check.  There are so many elements to his game that make him very hard to play against.

For Brock, I agree too he is a one trick pony right now.  If he isn't scoring goals and finishing plays off, he doesn't offer a whole lot more.  I do believe Brock needs to learn to bring other elements to his game besides goal scoring just to make him a more well rounded player overall, but also keeps the competition guessing with him too.  I saw a lot of those elements when he was playing for North Dakota, but he seems to have focused more on the goal scoring side in the NHL.  Started to see some of that evolving in his game in the last 15 games of the season.  Started to become harder on the puck in board battles, and was skating hard on the backcheck (where I thought he was really lazy in the first 3/4 of the season).

I do agree though, Petey is a play driver, and Boeser is more of the complementary finisher of play drivers.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I agree actually, the puck possession isn't all that makes Petey hard to play against, but that he brings so many other facets to the game.  He is an elusive skater, he is a depth passer and shooter, he controls the puck like you said, he finishes his checks despite his lanky size, and he comes back hard on the back check.  There are so many elements to his game that make him very hard to play against.

For Brock, I agree too he is a one trick pony right now.  If he isn't scoring goals and finishing plays off, he doesn't offer a whole lot more.  I do believe Brock needs to learn to bring other elements to his game besides goal scoring just to make him a more well rounded player overall, but also keeps the competition guessing with him too.  I saw a lot of those elements when he was playing for North Dakota, but he seems to have focused more on the goal scoring side in the NHL.  Started to see some of that evolving in his game in the last 15 games of the season.  Started to become harder on the puck in board battles, and was skating hard on the backcheck (where I thought he was really lazy in the first 3/4 of the season).

I do agree though, Petey is a play driver, and Boeser is more of the complementary finisher of play drivers.

We need them both though.  Brock's ability to finish makes Petey more effective.  Those two guys, Bo, Hughes, OJ, and Demko are untouchable in my view.  

On 6/18/2019 at 5:46 PM, combover said:

Since when does jb know how important toughness is, he assembled the softest easiest team to play against in the history of this club. 

Remeber all the JB homers defending “the new nhl” size and toughness aren’t important as jb drafted 4’ players now we see the scf and he’s wants old slow Lucy and toughness. The no plan plan continues. 

Hes had one d man that was suppose to be that and one fourth liner that hits. Since he’s been here. 

Now it’s about face and all the homers need to agree with what jb tells them to think again....and it’s the same thing  that some of us have been saying as he assembled the buttercup squad. 

JB needs to go and a GOOD NHL  gm that demands full autonomy needs to be hired. No more rookie fist puppets. 

Hm, I guess GMJB just doesn't get how toughness works in the league since he never played... Oh, wait a minute, he did? ;-)

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So.....how about that Schenn guy.

I hope they sign him for a 1 year 1 million contract. We could use the toughness in some games.

Would not mind if it was two years. Would be good for Quinn to be paired with him and have added confidence that Schenn has his back.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That sucks. He should be a priority to sign. 

Maybe a priority for the Canucks but I doubt he generates much interest elsewhere. If he does I suspect Jim gets an opportunity to match. Benning likely has many irons in the fire. He is in a very strong position. If he is working on a top 4 d-man signing it might nix a Schenn re-signing depending on what Schenn's expectations are. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I wonder what the story is with Schenn. Has he decided to see what the FA market has to offer, or is Benning thinking he can find more truculence and physical play elsewhere?

Would really like to see Schenn back. Based on Boeser's comments, he made an immediate impact with the younger players. He made a solid first pass out of the zone and never looked flustered.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder what the story is with Schenn. Has he decided to see what the FA market has to offer, or is Benning thinking he can find more truculence and physical play elsewhere?

Would really like to see Schenn back. Based on Boeser's comments, he made an immediate impact with the younger players. He made a solid first pass out of the zone and never looked flustered.

agent testing the market I'm sure. I'd like to see him back too. The Myers thing has to resolve first and then maybe Nyquist and we'll see whats left over. 

• Like 1