The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 5/17/2023 at 11:16 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Now just two more NHL stay at home defensemen and the Canucks are set.

Hughes - Severson

OEL - Hronek 

Mayfield - Schenn/Woo

Hirose/Juulsen

I'd love to add a snarly guy like Bieksa. 

I remember Bieksa struggled with consistency on defense early on, but then built up to be a good partner for a stay-at-home Hamhuis.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

I'd love to add a snarly guy like Bieksa. 

I remember Bieksa struggled with consistency on defense early on, but then built up to be a good partner for a stay-at-home Hamhuis.

With the coaching staff, the defense should improve with their general systems. I do love having an ornery player on the roster.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is a 25 min, all situations, elite, right shot D. And he’s only 25 years old. 
We need to draft BPA

Elite? I hope so, but I think he could be classified as very good. Hughes is elite, mind you, which is great for the Canucks to have a defenseman that possesses such astounding skill and vision. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like "see how it shakes out in Toronto" means Luke would rather be there.  

That's how I read it as well. I get the feeling Vancouver will move on, as much as I love him. Schenn is probably best-suited on a team aiming to go deep in the playoffs like the Leafs.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like "see how it shakes out in Toronto" means Luke would rather be there.  

Can't blame him. It's always a player's goal to win the cup any time they can, and if we are all being honest with ourselves, that chance is likely much higher in Toronto.

At the same time, he has expressed very positive things about Vancouver as well. To me, I think moving Myers is a no-brainer. Then if we don't re-sign Bear (which many of us would be ok with, though management seems to want to re-up his services) then we would be in a position to bring Schenn back. And frankly, as a physical, low-cost leader on D, I would be more than happy to see him back.

• Vintage 1

One of the interesting things here is that Schenn has performed so well over the past two years that I don't think it's unreasonable for him to make well over $2M on his next contract, which could become a sticking point.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I dont think he wants to come back. 

I think the way Jim and Patrick operated with the Bruce Boudreau issue really rubbed Schenn the wrong way.

I don't know that he's against coming back, but I agree that I think the whole debacle left a few players with a bad taste in their mouths. It clearly upset Horvat as well.

Edit: thankfully the ship seems to have righted itself by the time the season finished and it seems like Petey and Hughes (and Miller) are buying in.

Edited by Diamonds

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, kloubek said:

Can't blame him. It's always a player's goal to win the cup any time they can, and if we are all being honest with ourselves, that chance is likely much higher in Toronto.

At the same time, he has expressed very positive things about Vancouver as well. To me, I think moving Myers is a no-brainer. Then if we don't re-sign Bear (which many of us would be ok with, though management seems to want to re-up his services) then we would be in a position to bring Schenn back. And frankly, as a physical, low-cost leader on D, I would be more than happy to see him back.

I think he rather be in TO where its a guaranteed winning season but money talks and he is near end of career, if nicks offer 1 mil AAV x 2 years NMC, he comes back here

48 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I think he rather be in TO where its a guaranteed winning season but money talks and he is near end of career, if nicks offer 1 mil AAV x 2 years NMC, he comes back here

It's really hard to know where his head is at. First, he had great things to say about Vancouver. He's also stated he is interested in re-signing with Toronto. But who REALLY knows where his preference lies or what is important to him. I would also argue that Toronto is not a place for a "guaranteed winning" season. Yes, they have had decent seasons lately and finally made it past the 1st round, but they are also having cap issues, and I believe their team is already as good as it will ever be, with a key player or two likely leaving soon.

Canucks, on the other hand, could be viewed as an up and comer. Maybe our chances of "success" are lower, but by how much remains to be seen.

It's no huge deal. As much of a good fit Schenn is, he's getting older and he didn't offensively produce in Toronto nearly like he did in Vancouver, so maybe that scoring touch has dried up. It's also easy to find 3rd pairing guys - albeit more challenging to find a mobile guy with size.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

It's really hard to know where his head is at. First, he had great things to say about Vancouver. He's also stated he is interested in re-signing with Toronto. But who REALLY knows where his preference lies or what is important to him. I would also argue that Toronto is not a place for a "guaranteed winning" season. Yes, they have had decent seasons lately and finally made it past the 1st round, but they are also having cap issues, and I believe their team is already as good as it will ever be, with a key player or two likely leaving soon.

Canucks, on the other hand, could be viewed as an up and comer. Maybe our chances of "success" are lower, but by how much remains to be seen.

It's no huge deal. As much of a good fit Schenn is, he's getting older and he didn't offensively produce in Toronto nearly like he did in Vancouver, so maybe that scoring touch has dried up. It's also easy to find 3rd pairing guys - albeit more challenging to find a mobile guy with size.

I think Schenn's offense "drying up" more shows just how much his offense is a byproduct if playing with Hughes as opposed to actually driving any of it. Not that Schenn has zero offensive instinct, but his goal scoring didn't really change much in Vancouver vs Toronto or Tampa, just his assist numbers. Some of that is assists on plays by Hughes and some of that is because Hughes draws attention when on the ice which in turn gives Schenn more space to make passes. 

I still think it would be nice to have Schenn back in a mentorship role, but also wouldn't want to overpay for it and would definitely prefer the Canucks spend their resources trying to upgrade the top 4 rather than overpay the 3rd pair.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think Schenn's offense "drying up" more shows just how much his offense is a byproduct if playing with Hughes as opposed to actually driving any of it. Not that Schenn has zero offensive instinct, but his goal scoring didn't really change much in Vancouver vs Toronto or Tampa, just his assist numbers. Some of that is assists on plays by Hughes and some of that is because Hughes draws attention when on the ice which in turn gives Schenn more space to make passes. 

I still think it would be nice to have Schenn back in a mentorship role, but also wouldn't want to overpay for it and would definitely prefer the Canucks spend their resources trying to upgrade the top 4 rather than overpay the 3rd pair.

Bear in mind, unless I'm mistaken, Schenn was basically playing top 4 minutes for the Laffs in the post-season & didn't look that out of place.  Granted, I don't expect him to be able to keep up that pace over a long regular season...but we can do alot worse than having him as backup/insurance in case of injuries in *our* top 4.  It depends obviously on what his contract demands are.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Please don't take this comment as a criticism, it's just meant to be an honest question - but who exactly would Schenn be mentoring if in fact he was brought back here? 

The only guys currently signed who will likely be regulars are:  Huggy/Myers/Hronek.  Sadly I don't see a younger defenceman in Abby that could play full-time next year despite people thinking the door is wide open for Rathbone/Hirose/Woo/ect....

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Please don't take this comment as a criticism, it's just meant to be an honest question - but who exactly would Schenn be mentoring if in fact he was brought back here? 

The only guys currently signed who will likely be regulars are:  Huggy/Myers/Hronek.  Sadly I don't see a younger defenceman in Abby that could play full-time next year despite people thinking the door is wide open for Rathbone/Hirose/Woo/ect....

I think it's more of a general mentoring that he brings as opposed to just his defensive partner. He sets the bar for how to train, how to approach the game, stepping up for teammates, etc. That goes beyond just his defensive partner but also extends to guys like Petey, and the Podkolzin's, Hoglander's, Aman's, etc. I would also argue that Hronek is still young enough that having a solid vet leader on the team is still helpful for him too.