The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trying to make you understand...

bobo1763

4 hours ago, jmfaminoff said:

When Luongo left, our goaltending took a major hit. Luongo frequently stole games.  We saw glimpses with Miller, and Markstrom maybe once or twice. Can we really trust Markstrom to steal games like Luongo did?  I just don't know.

No we can't, but we shouldn't need to if we build a stronger team in front of Marky. Luongo was a rare breed, and not something you should ever just expect another goalie to replace, which is why Luongo was our corner piece early on.

5 hours ago, bobo1763 said:

Markstrom last night, 3/22. Dismal save percentage at a time when the team needed phenomenal goal tending. 

I ask this not to troll (honestly and truly) but how many of you can CONFIDENTLY go into next season or even a season where we make the playoffs with this guy as our number one goalie? I’m genuinely curious. 

I will never EVER be on board with a goalie who can’t post a shutout. Look at brobovsky in Columbus. Goes all season with conflict and controversy between him and torts and if he will resign. What does he do his last two games? BACK TO BACK SHUTOUTS. 

If markstrom did that the the sky would be falling and up would be down. 

Flame away but thats my opinion. 

Too bad the MODS can't delete you for being a total tool....

6 hours ago, bobo1763 said:

but it matters. Whether it’s a team thing or not he needs to be able to give his team a chance to win at their worst. Part of being a number one

Maybe over playing Marky is (kind of) a good thing?  He clearly needs breaks to work with the goalie coach.  Without those breaks, his game slips.  Playing him too much means we get a higher draft pick, right?  

17 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Playoffs even if made are not a goal this team should have IMO it long past needing blowing up, the problem is very few of the older players are marketable with the contracts and terms they have to get back really valuable assets.

Somehow this management group has started to believe their own marketing strategies that make this team seem better than it is. This is the same group for the most part, that have not had success over the last years and they are only getting older, slower and not wanting to get injured at the end of their careers.

Markstrom has been unbelievably good this season probably responsible for the team getting 18 points, how many times this team has been outshot 3 to 5 to one in a period?

Players on a losing team rarely have value matching players on winning teams, Horvat, who is very good might only be a third line center on many of the top teams but here is/was considered for first line duties and he is a very good NHL player, but how many other forwards are top six? two maybe three on this team, would JV be considered for top six on his own? Would Stecher be a top pairing defence on Pittsburgh, Tampa or Florida, even in injury relief?

Motte, Granlund, Leivo, Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle are all periphery players asked to play beyond their comfort zones but as a group they are not enough to carry any team to a playoff run, but on this group manamgent seems to put the same value on Sven as Drasaitl has or Debrincat, a second line player, a very unreasonable estimation and never able to trade for an equivalent skill level. So no trades.

At any rate the team exceeded expectations to date, partially due to the turtle race for the last wild card spot in the west but may still end up with the same old crew with the same old problems and another shiny penny to peddle next year but with close to the same results if not worse because all these vets are getting older and slower and injured.

By not, or refusing to, trade the older vets (he didn't have any problem trading away Gillis's clause contracts) he has slowed the rebuild down by at least 2 years, Montreal has traded their best players away and are better now than before with more depth and prospects, Columbus has been building for 18 years, not a program fans want to see here, even as good as Winnipeg is their current build is only 4 years old, they made big trades, sold off vets for picks/prospects and cap relief.

This team has been in statis, not doing anything other than just going day to day taking it as it comes, not trying to change. Status quo is a comfort zone for Benning. 

Don’t agree with all of this but the rebuild getting delayed a couple years given to the flawed belief and commitment that we could still win without Luongo, Kesler, Erhoff and Schneider on the team.    The worst thing that could of happened did when we bounced back and made the playoffs with another 100 point plus season as it was too encouraging that they could squeeze another run out of those guys.

On the flip side even with all of that Benning assembled one of the best prospect pools in the league and now it’s taking over and becoming the next core.  We can’t go back in time and change what happened, it is what it it, and we were in for a free fall no matter what.  What he does with Edlers next contract will determine some things going forward, personally I’d rather he let him walk then end up over the barrel with another aging vet with clauses etc.  He’s done a good job with his re-signings for the most part so far, hopefully that trend continues.

18 hours ago, chon derry said:

19 year career …..shutouts are great ,if your a goaltender that is into individual stat lines ,but  I think if you could ask this guy whats more important ,he would tell you ,or at least show you. proving a winning goaltender HAS to have a supporting cast . and i'm sure he single handedly stole a few games ,the number being a shut out couldn't have been that many . way to much emphasis on an expectation of a goalie producing shutouts for him to be deemed successful.

W

L

T

SHO

PS

MIN

GAA

Grant-Fuhr.jpg

That's a poor example, I could've won 5 cups with the 80's oilers with that line-up and I can hardly skate.

20 hours ago, xereau said:

You understand that Markstrom has been at the top of the league since Dec 1?  He has kept us in like 20 games since then.  Straight up stolen the team like 20 points.  Shutout is more of a team thing, and not a goalie thing.  And this team in front of Markstrom is amateur hour. Without Markstrom's way above average performance this season, this team is definitely dead last.  We'd be way into a playoff spot, if it wasn't for that crappy 

20 hours ago, bobo1763 said:

Markstrom last night, 3/22. Dismal save percentage at a time when the team needed phenomenal goal tending. 

I ask this not to troll (honestly and truly) but how many of you can CONFIDENTLY go into next season or even a season where we make the playoffs with this guy as our number one goalie? I’m genuinely curious. 

I will never EVER be on board with a goalie who can’t post a shutout. Look at brobovsky in Columbus. Goes all season with conflict and controversy between him and torts and if he will resign. What does he do his last two games? BACK TO BACK SHUTOUTS. 

Are you sporting your best fishing gear and out trolling out of boredom or are your clueless about how many games marky won for us and the only other reason besides petey this year to have even a semi-sortof remote snow ball's chance in hell of a playoff spot?

Your thread title intrigued me....I wasn't sure what it was I didn't understand.  Still not sure.  Your perspective is only that...your perspective.  I find it more than a little condescending when someone words things as though their opinion is an absolute truth.  It isn't, it's an opinion.  

I don't happen to agree with you, but I won't try to make you understand.  

I can't be bothered with doing all the stats research to support my opinion, but I suspect that the Canucks have a higher shots against total than other teams that have more shutouts.  Maybe not, but from the games I've watched we have on occasion struggled in that regard.  Certainly our goals for are lower than some other teams, it's hard to win games when we can't score, Marky would need to have double digit shutouts to win us games when we struggle to score.  

20 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I suppose, but mine is that goaltending is down the list of biggest problems with this team.

If I had to name my top choice(s) it would be depth and secondary scoring. The team doesn't have the horses to pick up the slack when the top guys are injured, or if they're slumping.

I would put Defensemen (better ones), depth and secondary scoring (1, 2 and 3 - in that order) with respect to our needs.  On most cup contenders, Tanev and Edler would be 3/4 D but on our team they are 1/2 D. 

If we had better depth, we would not spiral downwards so quickly when we have injuries (every team goes through the injury bug - ours might be a little worse in the past couple of years though). Our prospect pool looks only OK.  It could've been better if we had accumulated a few more draft picks in the past couple of years when we started the so-called "retool". 

Goaltending is a bright spot the way Marky has played and with Demko and Dipietro in the wings.  Like some have said, if Marky and Petey hadn't played so strongly, we would've been much further down the standings than we are.

4 hours ago, skategal said:

Your thread title intrigued me....I wasn't sure what it was I didn't understand.  Still not sure.  Your perspective is only that...your perspective.  I find it more than a little condescending when someone words things as though their opinion is an absolute truth.  It isn't, it's an opinion.  

I don't happen to agree with you, but I won't try to make you understand.  

I can't be bothered with doing all the stats research to support my opinion, but I suspect that the Canucks have a higher shots against total than other teams that have more shutouts.  Maybe not, but from the games I've watched we have on occasion struggled in that regard.  Certainly our goals for are lower than some other teams, it's hard to win games when we can't score, Marky would need to have double digit shutouts to win us games when we struggle to score.  

Plus our Defense sucks @ss large! There's only so much a goalie can do no matter what his name is on a team like this.

On 2/24/2019 at 12:12 PM, bobo1763 said:

MARKY ASKS YOU:

Image result for shutout

Image result for markstrom shutouts

Related image

Image result for markstrom shutouts

:shock::lol::lol::canucks::canucks::canucks:

:towel::emot-parrot::towel:

On 2/24/2019 at 2:12 PM, bobo1763 said:

Shutout. 

Archived