The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trying to make you understand...

bobo1763

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I suppose, but mine is that goaltending is down the list of biggest problems with this team.

If I had to name my top choice(s) it would be depth and secondary scoring. The team doesn't have the horses to pick up the slack when the top guys are injured, or if they're slumping.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, I suppose, but mine is that goaltending is down the list of biggest problems with this team.

If I had to name my top choice(s) it would be depth and secondary scoring. The team doesn't have the horses to pick up the slack when the top guys are injured, or if they're slumping.

I seem to recall "secondary scoring is a problem" for 15 years or so, a one line team isn't winning cups unless they are a "cult" like Lamorello likes building

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Are you so narrow minded that you can't comprehend that a goalie can be good without posting a shutout? Picture a goaltender who lets in a single goal in every single game and only one goal. Is that goalie bad? He'd have the best stats in every category except for shutouts.

Love it when people get so heated when someone has a different opinion than them. Jeez. 

And yes, to be a number one goalie IMO you need to be able to steal game. Change my mind. Look at stats of some the greats. Fleury, Brodeur, Luongo. Look at their shutout totals and in the playoffs. If we go into next season with markstrom it is simply gg again next year. 

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The question is, is Markstroms great play since December a permanent development, or just a run of good play.  It is close to 3 months. 

I'm not sure we could call it a permanent improvement yet but like I said above, if he has to play EVERY game, his history has shown that his play will slide.  I sure hope that Demko is ready to go soon.

Yeah agreed. Who is the real Jacob Markstrom? Andrew Hammond with a stretch of unbelievable performances only to eventually be brought back down to earth or a resurgent Devan Dubnyk, salvaging his careeer out of nowhere.

24 minutes ago, jmfaminoff said:

When Luongo left, our goaltending took a major hit. Luongo frequently stole games.  We saw glimpses with Miller, and Markstrom maybe once or twice. Can we really trust Markstrom to steal games like Luongo did?  I just don't know.

Yet there were lots of people on here who wanted Luongo out, claiming that he let in too many soft ones deflating the team. Losing is like sunshine. It lures the trolls from under the bridge. 

2 minutes ago, bobo1763 said:

Love it when people get so heated when someone has a different opinion than them. Jeez. 

And yes, to be a number one goalie IMO you need to be able to steal game. Change my mind. Look at stats of some the greats. Fleury, Brodeur, Luongo. Look at their shutout totals and in the playoffs. If we go into next season with markstrom it is simply gg again next year. 

Markstrom has stolen games for us this season. 

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I seem to recall "secondary scoring is a problem" for 15 years or so, a one line team isn't winning cups unless they are a "cult" like Lamorello likes building

It's something a team definitely needs to be a true contender.

Not only did the 2011 Canucks have it with the likes of Kes, Higgy and Hansen, they had big production from the blueline. Edler, Juice and Hammer all threw up impressive points totals and Salo probably would have as well, had it not been for his injury problems....

52 minutes ago, Pears said:

Nothing he can do when the team in front of him can’t score. Without him we’re easily in position to draft Hughes. 

Don't want Hughes. We need either Byram or Broberg. If we can get a late 1st rounder, Nolan Foote too. (But I'm being greedy). 

19 year career …..shutouts are great ,if your a goaltender that is into individual stat lines ,but  I think if you could ask this guy whats more important ,he would tell you ,or at least show you. proving a winning goaltender HAS to have a supporting cast . and i'm sure he single handedly stole a few games ,the number being a shut out couldn't have been that many . way to much emphasis on an expectation of a goalie producing shutouts for him to be deemed successful.

W

L

T

SHO

PS

MIN

GAA

Grant-Fuhr.jpg

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't want Hughes. We need either Byram or Broberg. If we can get a late 1st rounder, Nolan Foote too. (But I'm being greedy). 

Agreed one of those two would be perfect. I just don’t think we have an expendable asset that could get us an extra first. 

50 minutes ago, bobo1763 said:

You're conflating "#1 goalie" with "superstar goalie". Fleury, Brodeur, and Luongo were far more than simply #1 goaltenders--they were the best of their time, particularly Luongo and Brodeur. The standard for simply being a #1 goaltender is much lower than the level of play those men played at.

With that said, let's look at strong seasons had by netminders with 2 or fewer shutouts:

1996-97 - Vanbiesbrouck had a .919 save %, was 7th in Vezina voting and 4th in All-Star voting. He had 2 shutouts in 57 games.

2014-15 - Corey Crawford had a .924 save %, was 6th in Vezina voting and won the William Jennings. He had 2 shutouts in 57 games.

2005-06 - Henrik Lundqvist had a .922 save %, was 3rd in Vezina voting and 9th in Hart voting. He had 2 shutouts in 53 games.

2012-13 - Henrik Lundqvist had a .926 save % and was 2nd in Vezina voting. He had 2 shutouts in 43 games.

2018-19 - Frederik Andersen is currently one of the top goalies in the league with a .922 save %. He currently has just 1 shutout in 44 games.

2013-14 - Semyon Varlamov had a .927 save %, was 2nd in Vezina voting and 4th in Hart voting. He had 2 shutouts in 63 games.

On the other hand, you have 2001-02 Dan Cloutier, who had some great games with 7 shutouts, but had a terribly mediocre .901 save percentage. Would you rather have Cloutier and his 7 shutouts or the other six seasons I listed?

Saying that goaltenders need shutouts to be proven starters is like rating the best goalscorers by how many hat-tricks they have. Consistency is just as important as periodic exceptional games.

After a rough start to the season, he is running in top 5-10 in the league.

I still have doubts whether this is him, or whether he will revert back.... but he is the last of our problems right now.

He has no defence in front of him at the moment and that will make even a Vezina calibre goalie look bad.

1 hour ago, bobo1763 said:

Markstrom last night, 3/22. Dismal save percentage at a time when the team needed phenomenal goal tending. 

Because one game defines a goalie?  How about looking at his overall save percentage his season?  Not great but fairly respectable.  

Is Torts an awful coach because he went bat**** crazy against the Flames when he was coach of the Canucks?  

1 hour ago, bobo1763 said:

Markstrom last night, 3/22. Dismal save percentage at a time when the team needed phenomenal goal tending. 

I ask this not to troll (honestly and truly) but how many of you can CONFIDENTLY go into next season or even a season where we make the playoffs with this guy as our number one goalie? I’m genuinely curious. 

I will never EVER be on board with a goalie who can’t post a shutout. Look at brobovsky in Columbus. Goes all season with conflict and controversy between him and torts and if he will resign. What does he do his last two games? BACK TO BACK SHUTOUTS. 

If markstrom did that the the sky would be falling and up would be down. 

Flame away but thats my opinion. 

Last night you must have missed that stanley cup defence of ours that was steller, along with our experienced unstoppable top 6..............:sadno: You realise that we have 7 regulars out of the line up including........wait just wait......Our #1 and #2 defenceman.Your comments are almost laughable yet extremely uneducated so I feel sorry for you and suggest maybe you should take something simpler up like walking or if your feeling daring maybe running.

Oh and by the way your opinion sucks

Archived