The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

On 3/5/2019 at 6:13 PM, oldnews said:

woosh.  the point was very simple - it's easy to counterpoint a cherry pick.  you found no irony - the irony is you believing that's irony.

it's like debating with Alanis Morrisette.

Is it because she had a song called Ironic?

39 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Hes playing 20+ minutes and on their PK. How is that #5 defensemen and not shutdown D...? Did you bang your head or something?

Well if you paid any attention to the team you're attempting to talk about you'd know that they have two top-4 D-men out with injury right now. Both guys, Letang and Maatta, would be ahead of him on their depth chart when in the lineup.

Also, when healthy, they have two LD (Dumoulin and Maatta) that would be ahead of him on the depth chart.

As bad as Gudbranson was in Vancouver, it doesn't surprise me to see him doing well in Pittsburgh.

The Penguins have repeatedly managed to buy low on maligned players, and turn them into useful pieces. Justin Schultz, Trevor Daley, Carl Hagelin...it's been too frequent to be luck/coincidence.

And if it's not working, Rutherford doesn't waste time correcting the mistake. Reaves, Brassard, Sheahan, and Pearson were sent packing in no time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

As bad as Gudbranson was in Vancouver, it doesn't surprise me to see him doing well in Pittsburgh.

The Penguins have repeatedly managed to buy low on maligned players, and turn them into useful pieces. Justin Schultz, Trevor Daley, Carl Hagelin...it's been too frequent to be luck/coincidence.

And if it's not working, Rutherford doesn't waste time correcting the mistake. Reaves, Brassard, Sheahan, and Pearson were sent packing in no time.

No surprise that playing behind Crosby can make a lot of dmen look good. 

His stats this year are absolutely ridiculous. 73 goals for and 33 goals against. A +40 at even strength. Nobody else in the league even comes close to that number. 

Crosby has been dominating the opposition by a huuuuge margin. I think the next highest is +24 (not counting Jake Guenztel). That's just crazy good, especially with the defence he's playing in front of. I'm honestly in awe of that statistic, such a dominant player. 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

No surprise that playing behind Crosby can make a lot of dmen look good. 

His stats this year are absolutely ridiculous. 73 goals for and 33 goals against. A +40 at even strength. Nobody else in the league even comes close to that number. 

Crosby has been dominating the opposition by a huuuuge margin. I think the next highest is +24 (not counting Jake Guenztel). That's just crazy good, especially with the defence he's playing in front of. 

And some people scoff when I say he's still the best player....

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

there's the luxury of inheriting a core like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel, etc.

Reaves cost them Sundqvist and a 1st.  They then added a 4th to get rid of him for AHLer Tobias Lindberg.

Brassard cost them another 1st round pick, Ian Cole and Filip Gustavson - and then in dumping Brassard another 2nd and pair of 4ths into that deal...

Riley Sheahan cost them Wilson and a 3rd and then was dumped into the Brassard deal.

It's interesting how people perceive the level of acceptable bad deals in relatively different contexts.

The wealth of players - and contending circumstances - and a GM like Rutherford is forgiven the bleeding of futures on blown value.   2x1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3x4ths...

When your inherit a SC roster, it buys you a lot of time - the losses to their prospect pool probably won't fully be felt until the Crosby Malkin era fades out.

On the other hand, a GM in a different context would never get that kind of leeway - and critical free pass - for blowing what are/could be important parts of their future - people relatively don't think about Pitts' future - it's a pretty plum job when you can make volumes of bad moves and your core picks you up.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, oldnews said:

it isn't ironic/irony  when it rains on your wedding day.  that itself may be ironic.  :unsure:

It is mind blowing that she created the irony to begin with when there wasn't an irony, as you pointed out. LOL.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

It is mind blowing that she created the irony to begin with when there wasn't an irony, as you pointed out. LOL.

I guess she just hung around with Madonna too much?

I have to admit - she kinda annoyed the hell out of me - seemed like a bit of a space cadet - but once she grew up a little...she was pretty attractive.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2019 at 3:54 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Starting to think Pittsburgh won that McCann for Gudbranson trade lol somehow both found there way to Pittsburgh and playing well.

McCann has 9 pts in 17 games with the Pens on Pace for a 43 pt season. If this keeps up it makes Benning look really bad for giving him up for Gudbranson

53 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

McCann has 9 pts in 17 games with the Pens on Pace for a 43 pt season. If this keeps up it makes Benning look really bad for giving him up for Gudbranson

Benning already looks bad even when McCann was with the Panthers. At least Jared was able to stay relatively healthy and contributed in spurts. Even if Gudbranson/McCann cancel each other out, we still lost the trade with Benning also throwing a 4th rounder the other way. Terrible deal that didn't need to be made

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Benning already looks bad even when McCann was with the Panthers. At least Jared was able to stay relatively healthy and contributed in spurts. Even if Gudbranson/McCann cancel each other out, we still lost the trade with Benning also throwing a 4th rounder the other way. Terrible deal that didn't need to be made

Trading for Gudbranson wasnt a mistake. Failure to put a player you targeted, acquired (for good reason IMO) and extended, in a position to succeed - and then moving him at a loss due to it - was. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Trading for Gudbranson wasnt a mistake. Failure to put a player you targeted, acquired (for good reason IMO) and extended, in a position to succeed - and then moving him at a loss due to it - was. 

Even then, are the injuries Guddy ended up with predictable? People seem to want to forget that he was hardly injured before coming here and it's kind of hard to put a player in a position to succeed if they aren't even playing.

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Even then, are the injuries Guddy ended up with predictable? People seem to want to forget that he was hardly injured before coming here and it's kind of hard to put a player in a position to succeed if they aren't even playing.

Injuries (as well as some self responsibility for his play, systems and other personnel) are all part of the overall picture of what happened here. 

Though to a certain extent I disagree that injuries were (entirely) unpredictable. A poor, depth lacking, young/rebuilding team is bound to lack puck possession. That's going to show up as increased injuries... particularly to players expected to play harder, shut down/match up/PK etc minutes (just look at the list of most frequently injured players the last few years).

Now if we had a more skilled and more veteran team (like PIT), Gudbranson, likely would have had far more success here while bringing those intangibles he was brought here for. Likewise, if we had acquired a complimentary partner for him to play with (evidenced by his solid but short stint with Edler).

Neither of those occurred and we got what we got.

Edited by aGENT

11 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

At the time I, like so many hockey analysts, liked us getting Guddy.  That’s onetrade I don’t think was a bad move.  It just didn’t work out as expected.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, oldnews said:

I guess she just hung around with Madonna too much?

I have to admit - she kinda annoyed the hell out of me - seemed like a bit of a space cadet - but once she grew up a little...she was pretty attractive.

17FC8B27-103A-4ED5-828B-B19CBF58F7E7.gif

• Haha 1