The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Dont like this deal at all, Dahlen was way further along in his development than Linus. Seems silly to give up on a player half way through his first season in north america. 

I think the sooner we can identify a guy is not going to work out with our team the better the return will be.  If we hang on and hope, then the return will be less.  I don't know squat about this Linus guy, other than he likely plays the piano and eats Peanuts.  :shock:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Eliteprospects says he’s a center, good in the dot, good hockey sense and great character. Sounds like a Benning guy.

He's a really sturdy player, too. Seems to be hard to get off the puck, and has amazing offensive awareness as far as getting open.

From what I've read, his team in general started the season really slow -- his point totals are a result of that, currently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Damn. I hear good things about Linus Karlsson, so in Benning we trust.

Edit: After some further thought, I'm starting to like this trade. Our centre depth after Tyler Madden was pretty much non-existent, so adding Karlsson is a nice step to start filling in the centre depth chart. Also frees up a contract spot to sign Hughes, as well as other potential college students and CHL overagers. 

Edited by therodigy
  • Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Looks like he improved a lot over last year, but I'm hesitant to say I like this deal. I'm just gonna have to trust Jimbo with this one since he's proven me wrong countless times before.

Dahlen was looking pretty decent in Utica and has obvious chemistry with Petey. A bit worried how EP will take this news.

Karlsson looks like a decent player in the SHL this year, 17 points in 48 games in his draft+1 year.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more this could be a good deal for us. Dahlen played in Sweden's 2nd league for two years after being drafted whereas Karlsson is already in the SHL immediately after being drafted, which shows a faster progression. I've already changed my mind, I like this deal now.

EDIT2: It looks like he's not in the SHL. I might have misinterpreted it. Then I'm kind of back to meh. What a roller coaster.

He plays in tier 2, not the SHL 

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

He's a really sturdy player, too. Seems to be hard to get off the puck, and has amazing offensive awareness as far as getting open.

From what I've read, his team in general started the season really slow -- his point totals are a result of that, currently.

Bigger than Dahlen. Give up skill but gain a more NHL transferable style in Karlsson. I am less upset about this as I learn more about Karlsson.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Bigger than Dahlen. Give up skill but gain a more NHL transferable style in Karlsson. I am less upset about this as I learn more about Karlsson.

I think Karlsson's offensive skillset is underrated, too. Probably due to how defensively played the Swedish pro-game is. He has hands, and I think he'll get to use them more in North America.

• Cheers 1