The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

It's said that Dhalen requested this trade because he felt like he wasn't developing very well, so he Identified that he wasn't going to progress into an NHL player and did something about it, gotta give him props for saying he wasn't progressing into the player he should be.

This is looking like Cull is a complete joke so far though.

And telling players you AREN'T pleased with how they are developing, why would he stay??

Dahlen never found his groove under Cull’s system. Both sides weren’t pleased with how things were going with his development.

Edited by shad0w4life

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Knee jerk reaction from @combover? Never... :lol:

Maybe More of just a jerk..... 

i like Dahlen, he looked to be a good player needing some time to adjust here like most do seemed like he turned the corner in utica a month ago. 

He was a great player in Sweden, they gave up on him to fast. 

Hope the new kid can adjust quickly and prove me wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but, if they surveyed other teams on a potential deal, which sounds like the case and this was the best deal presented, why would that change in a few weeks? 

It's possible, but using the same logic, this deal likely would have still been on the table in the offseason as well. Why not wait and see if you can do better?

3 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

It's said that Dhalen requested this trade because he felt like he wasn't developing very well, so he Identified that he wasn't going to progress into an NHL player and did something about it, gotta give him props for saying he wasn't progressing into the player he should be.

And telling players you AREN'T pleased with how they are developing, why would he stay??

Dahlen never found his groove under Cull’s system. Both sides weren’t pleased with how things were going with his development.

Well then he probably wouldn't have found much success with Green either.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Time to hate Dahlen cause he felt his development was being stunted and wanted to maximize his chances and so he asked to get moved. Right CDC? God forbid a kid makes a reasonable request for the betterment of his future.

• Upvote 1

Just now, combover said:

Maybe More of just a jerk..... 

i like Dahlen, he looked to be a good player needing some time to adjust here like most do seemed like he turned the corner in utica a month ago. 

He was a great player in Sweden, they gave up on him to fast. 

Hope the new kid can adjust quickly and prove me wrong. 

He wanted out and he's not an NHL player at this point. Now we have a guy who may want to be here. Still WAY too early to declare a winner of the deal. 

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Who are you hearing this from?

Not sure, was just checking the Google machine and read that on one of the sites. Can't find the exact one again. Like I said, I don't know this kid so I'm trying to formulate an opinion based off people who are paid to do so

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

no argument here.  I'm just as entitled to point out how ridiculous statements like that are.

Why is it ridiculous. Spooner has been terrible this year and got 1st line ice time with EP without earning it. I am not saying Dahlen would have stuck with the nucks but he deserved a look in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Darius said:

is this reminding anyone of the Shinkaruk trade.  I think coaching staff back then saw deficiencies in Shinkaruks game and they realized that his playing style might not translate to the NHL.  I wonder if this happened with Dahlen.

Thought the exact same thing when I heard of the trade 

I'm pretty torn on this trade. I really was starting to like his game in Utica. I'm never a fan of young players who have earned nothing demanding trades. I'm old school where you shut up, play hard, earn your minutes, and earn your call up...sounds like he was not willing to do that. So in that sense, good bye and good riddance, and good luck. I don't want anyone on this team who isn't willing to put the work in. OTT and now VAN, something is up with this kid. Oh well, welcome to the team Linus :towel:

• Upvote 1

Just now, babalu said:

Why is it ridiculous. Spooner has been terrible this year and got 1st line ice time with EP without earning it. I am not saying Dahlen would have stuck with the nucks but he deserved a look in my opinion.

people have off years and with spooner, it's more likely an outlier, based on his career to this point

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

no one gets gifted ice time.  If they were better than the vets and the grinders, they would have played more than them.  

Yeah. I get that. But most prospects feel like they could be given more opportunities. There has to be an understanding and a level of trust between organization and player and apparently that fell apart with the Canucks and Dahlèn. Too bad too cause I liked Dahlèn. If he succeeds in SJ. Wouldn't be surprised if he haunted this franchise for decades.