The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

Karlsson is putting himself on the list of quality depth prospects  to keep an eye on.  I was not high on him when JB traded for him, but he has certainly surprised me with how his game has come along offensively.  Still probably a long shot to  ever come over and make the NHL, but he is at least showing some nice promise.

• Cheers 2

On 12/11/2020 at 1:13 PM, BCNate said:

Karlsson is putting himself on the list of quality depth prospects  to keep an eye on.  I was not high on him when JB traded for him, but he has certainly surprised me with how his game has come along offensively.  Still probably a long shot to  ever come over and make the NHL, but he is at least showing some nice promise.

Circumstance will decide his fate, sad when you think about it. He's close enough to smell success but he'll need uncontrollable events for him to get a chnace

24 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Circumstance will decide his fate, sad when you think about it. He's close enough to smell success but he'll need uncontrollable events for him to get a chnace

We're going to have vets dropping like flies the next few years and young stars needing high dollar raises with a flat cap.

So long as he earns a look, he'll get every opportunity to fill a depth role on a cheap ELC. Just like any number of our 'secondary' prospects.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

We're going to have vets dropping like flies the next few years and young stars needing high dollar raises with a flat cap.

So long as he earns a look, he'll get every opportunity to fill a depth role on a cheap ELC. Just like any number of our 'secondary' prospects.

I agree with this for sure.  I posted elsewhere here today that by the time Boeser is up for a new deal, we only have 5 guys currently signed.  In order for us to lock up all our young stars, we will need a steady flow of ELC's to balance things out until the cap starts to go up again.  We have a few high end prospects that can probably be penciled in, but a ton of B/C level guys are going to get a look, as we need a few of those guys to make the jump

• Cheers 1

On 12/16/2020 at 12:54 PM, Fred65 said:

We don’t have a lot of high level depth at centre - after Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette (who is also a winger) with Sutter and Beagle not far from the ends of their contracts - he has to compete with a Jasek, Michaelis, Focht, Costmar and Zlodoyev - I don’t see any high first rounders in that group - though there sure are some overachievers based on their draft position.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

We don’t have a lot of high level depth at centre - after Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette (who is also a winger) with Sutter and Beagle not far from the ends of their contracts - he has to compete with a Jasek, Michaelis, Focht, Costmar and Zlodoyev - I don’t see any high first rounders in that group - though there sure are some overachievers based on their draft position.

Yeah currently I'd agree with that, none that stand out ie they're a likeness to their skills. If I had to rank them I'd put Jasek followed by Costmar ahead of the rest. It's sure going to be interesting to watch Cosmar at the WJC  Jasek was chose by Vcr management to move to centre, I'd assume there's a reason

10 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah currently I'd agree with that, none that stand out ie they're a likeness to their skills. If I had to rank them I'd put Jasek followed by Costmar ahead of the rest. It's sure going to be interesting to watch Cosmar at the WJC  Jasek was chose by Vcr management to move to centre, I'd assume there's a reason

One reason he was moved to centre is that we had no Canuck properties in Utica playing centre after Gaudette got called up and Glaovac got hurt playing in a Vancouver - all the centres in Utica belonged to Utica, not Vancouver. In addition, his attributes, skating, intelligence, defensive discipline suited the pivot position. Looks like he has face offs to his repertoire. Another gut I would not be surprised to here h3 got moved to the middle is Lind - for many of the same reasons as Jasek. As far as I know they don’t keep face off stats in the AHL - but entirely from my observation - Lind appeared to be taking most of the critical draws in Utica - I don’t recall him being cleanly beaten but for a couple of times. Jasek’s play in Europe seems to indicate he has upped his faceoff skills. He already seemed to be strong defensively, faceoff skill just adds to that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 12:54 PM, Fred65 said:

He can do what Hoglander did: force the team to play him through his performance. That is what Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, and MacEwen did. That is the part he can control, the serendipity for most players is injury or illness to the guys ahead of you. Miller is Down, Virtanen gets a shot on the first line, MacEwen makes the lineup. Rafferty had a great college career and a fantastic year in Utica - that gets him looked at and may in large part be the reason he is still with the Canucks.

Chances are something just given, you have to earn them - like Juolevi - he had to fight through years of recovery from injuries to get a shot, then he had to play well enough to earn it. He pushed Benn and Fantenberg out of the way by being pretty much able to do what they do, as well as what they do, but bring the promise of much more to come. Benn and Fantenberg, at this point in their careers, don’t offer much upside.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

He can do what Hoglander did: force the team to play him through his performance. That is what Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, and MacEwen did. That is the part he can control, the serendipity for most players is injury or illness to the guys ahead of you. Miller is Down, Virtanen gets a shot on the first line, MacEwen makes the lineup. Rafferty had a great college career and a fantastic year in Utica - that gets him looked at and may in large part be the reason he is still with the Canucks.

Chances are something just given, you have to earn them - like Juolevi - he had to fight through years of recovery from injuries to get a shot, then he had to play well enough to earn it. He pushed Benn and Fantenberg out of the way by being pretty much able to do what they do, as well as what they do, but bring the promise of much more to come. Benn and Fantenberg, at this point in their careers, don’t offer much upside.

When a player earns that roster spot rather than given, it tends to mean something more and it also sends the right message to players coming in but the player still has to be given a legit shot.   

I really hope OJ plays alot more cause Benn should be walking next year.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

When a player earns that roster spot rather than given, it tends to mean something more and it also sends the right message to players coming in but the player still has to be given a legit shot.   

I dont think they'll give up with OJ so easily especially since Benning picked him. If they gave a long leash for Jake, OJ should very least be given a chance.

The way Benn is playing, theres a chance he could come back. Tell you what though, if the Kraken took Myers out of our hands and we sign Benn and Edler for 3 mill each, I'd rather have that than Myers contract which still has I think 5 more years after this season. Myers is grossly overpaid but the term is dreadful

• Cheers 1

I gotta assume that Linus Karlsson is a kid that will be brought over to Vancouver next season once guys like Petrus Palmu and Sven Baertschi are off the payroll. I don't think this kid jumps straight into the lineup but he's definitely earned his ELC and a chance to show himself in the AHL... assuming things return to some normalcy with Utica/Vancouver.

If he can play NHL games and stick around, this'll be a win of a trade for the Canucks considering he was the kid we got for Dahlen... and Dahlen doesn't appear to have any interest in coming back to North America ever.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I dont think they'll give up with OJ so easily especially since Benning picked him. If they gave a long leash for Jake, OJ should very least be given a chance.

The way Benn is playing, theres a chance he could come back. Tell you what though, if the Kraken took Myers out of our hands and we sign Benn and Edler for 3 mill each, I'd rather have that than Myers contract which still has I think 5 more years after this season. Myers is grossly overpaid but the term is dreadful

Good points.  I agree that Myers should be left unprotected and with Edler 3 million per year for 2yrs sounds good with a bottom pair deployment.  Imo, as long as Baumer is D coach Edler will probably have the leverage to demand the same/close to 6 million per year cause Baumer will play h8m as a top 2 D - hope OJ and the rest can somehow do what Hughes did and force Baumer to play him; Chatfield looking solid as a bottom pair perhaps with Elder if he comes back.   I would argue that Benn can walk unless he takes a min salary for 2yrs.  The X factor here is Baumer....

Edited by ShawnAntoski

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Goodness...:picard:

Benn in no way is worth $3m and Myers is not overpaid and only has 3 more years left after this one, not 5. 

• Cheers 3

19 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I have to say that I was down on Benn, but he has played well with Hughes the past few games - we'll have to see what happens when the opposition gets tougher... like in Winnipeg and Montreal.