The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB has thrown away far too many assets - needs to be replaced as GM

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

13 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Absolutely, but at the time of the signing everyone thought it was a slam dunk signing. This is by far Bennings worst move,

I don’t think it was a slam dunk signing. I remember quite a few people saying they didn’t want Eriksson. 

However a lot of those same people probably wanted Lucic instead. I don’t think there were a lot of people who wanted them to sit on their wallets and do nothing.

Edited by TheRealistOptimist
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Again, reread what I said.

What does anything I said have to do with Benning drafted Pettersson? You’re not the brightest I take it.

Are you kidding me? I said without Benning you don't have your name. I hope English is your 2nd language then because this is basic things to understand.

I was wondering a few things about JB recently.  Most importantly how his teams really stack up.  I was hyper critical of JB his first 2 years here but I can see what his plan was and where the teams heading.  I don't think he's infallible and I do think he has a limited shelf life of 2 years more max.

But this year nobody can argue that we were not in the hunt for the playoffs before our endlessly revolving bandaids got injured again.  

Here is this years man games lost to injury

https://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/2018/10/201819-NHL-man-games-lost-plots.html

https://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/2018/10/201819-team-injury-breakdowns.html

Here is last years

https://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/2017/11/201718-NHL-man-games-lost-plots.html

https://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/2017/10/201718-team-injury-breakdowns.html

We're WAY above league average again.  3 consecutive years we've been near the league lead in man games lost to injury.  Kind of hard to say what might have been knowing how beat up the key pieces of the team have been for the last 3 seasons

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Nope.

Let me guess, you wanted Lucic? You may be in the minority, but a MAJORITY of fans wanted Lucic or Eriksson. Were players who put up numbers and became busts after their signing.

Hindsight is 20/20 and has led us to drafting an elite 1st liner in Pettersson

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

3 full seasons out of Granlund who is defensively responsible for a MG Bust. Win
Motte is having a decent season. Vanek was an expiring vet who is known for doing nothing in the playoffs. Win

I dont even need to continue to re-explain how the Canucks won every single one of those trades. Just see my post above

My complaint about the early JB era’s UFA signings was that even though this rebuilding team’s GM had signed several quality FAs, they weren’t attained specifically as salable TDL sell-offs. You’ve mentioned Vanek here, which highlights my point.

Did he sign/bring in a playoff dud like Vanek and expect there to be a bidding war at the TDL? It’s a minor miracle that he even received Motte back in trade for such a predictably bad playoff/TDL player. 

Its one instance, but worth revisiting. 

I’ve read counter points to this philosophy which state that no UFAs would come here on short term knowing they were trade bait and that JB’d have to pay through the nose to get them. Obviously, I disagree. 

JB has signed many FAs and overpaid for many of them as well. No need to excuse or crap on those facts here. That’s a convenient distraction and there’s no value in diving down those rabbit holes,

IMO. If we can agree on the signings for what they are, we are making progress. 

JB has signed serveral expensive FAs, with mixed results, if I’m being tactfully generous in order to advance the discussion. This is as close to Fact at this point as we have, IMO. 

I’ve been around a while and witnessed several expansions and many more rebuilds. I’m not a a Sage to anyone, but I can make a few comments regarding these types of teams and why FAs are either attracted or to them or not.

I can comfortably claim that there have always been good (gravy) reasons players would agree to come to a crappy roster on short term deals knowing that they are rentals.

For the economy of your reading pleasure(s) I will spare the average poster on here the Captain Obvious sermon on the detailing of the benefits of the attractiveness of hypothetical, overpaid, short term TDL-bait rental players, but feel free to connect the dots anyways. 

I have been disappointed in this management’s inability to sign and trade those hungry players, whoever they might be. JB’s had zero issues paying massive term and price for quality UFAs, but hasn’t been able to capitalize on converting UFAs into TDL bait.

Strangely, he’s actually gone the other way, spending picks to acquire those players, apparently because of their age, which the results of still kept the rebuilding roster picking top 7 all the while. Some plan. I’m suggesting that he could have targeted different UFAs to sell off at the trade deadline and still picked top 7, the difference being he may have acquired picks rather then spent them on an age-gap plan, which I perceive as a strategic failure. 

As an aside, I wonder if Burrows’ and Hansen’s careers died of loneliness after being traded. When fans point to those trades as to show the value of the few JB trades that have worked out, I usually feel bad for those x Canucks first and wonder if the team would have been better off keeping them around, especially considering the return. Had Benning traded them sooner, this might be a different sentiment. In this way, I really do thing JB has mismanaged/diminished several assets, as others have stated lately. 

If franchise sensation EP isn’t worth protecting, JB should be shown the door on this aspect alone. Just my opinion. 

I’m holding onto this time period leading up to the hometown draft with hopes that Benning is a capable GM, not solely reliant on Brackett’s abilities. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Absolutely, but at the time of the signing everyone thought it was a slam dunk signing. This is by far Bennings worst move,

I was not one of those "EVERYONE" 

It is by far Benning's worst move based on $$s and term, Comparable $$s to Miller, who earned his money and Vrbata who earned 1/2 (1st year) his $$

However, if you add in Gagner, Schaller, Del Z, Nilsson, Sutter, Guber, Kassian, you start to see a pattern of Buy High and/or Sell Low

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was wondering a few things about JB recently.  Most importantly how his teams really stack up.  I was hyper critical of JB his first 2 years here but I can see what his plan was and where the teams heading.  I don't think he's infallible and I do think he has a limited shelf life of 2 years more max.

But this year nobody can argue that we were not in the hunt for the playoffs before our endlessly revolving bandaids got injured again.  

Here is this years man games lost to injury

https://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/2018/10/201819-NHL-man-games-lost-plots.html

https://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/2018/10/201819-team-injury-breakdowns.html

Here is last years

https://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/2017/11/201718-NHL-man-games-lost-plots.html

https://nhlinjuryviz.blogspot.com/2017/10/201718-team-injury-breakdowns.html

We're WAY above league average again.  3 consecutive years we've been near the league lead in man games lost to injury.  Kind of hard to say what might have been knowing how beat up the key pieces of the team have been for the last 3 seasons

Last October, would you have guessed that this roster would suffer lengthy, key injuries to several key players? I did. 

What about the season before? I did.

... Etc. 

Injuries, key injuries, have been a predictable, thus manageable, aspect of this team’s success. No doubt about it. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Let me guess, you wanted Lucic? You may be in the minority, but a MAJORITY of fans wanted Lucic or Eriksson. Were players who put up numbers and became busts after their signing.

Hindsight is 20/20 and has led us to drafting an elite 1st liner in Pettersson

Nope. Lucic was slow then and not trending in the right direction and in complete opposition to the league.

I wanted Okposo (not that he's faired much better) if he was at all interested. Felt he was a better 'bridge' option to both bring some much needed size and grit playing with the twins and would still be a useful player after they retired.

If he wasn't interested, stand pat.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

One thing I can't wait for is this free agency when we go out to overpay another east coast defenseman that doesn't work out here in the west. 

That is not what I am waiting for.

I am waiting for when that player is inevitably traded and the Canuck faithful claim, "He was a good signing at the time, but just not a fit on this team"

You are right we should have kept Kelser and signed him to that atrocious contract. Fire Benning

Look at that list of players outgoing. 

D1lNnWKU8AASljm.jpg

So how many of those players are in the NHL right now? How many of those Pics traded panned out? This is beyond moronic. Yes, we gave up Mccann Where would you have him on our depth chart? I like Gaudette and frankly, I think the team likes Gaudette better than Mc Spaghetti arms.  Granlund is still a win of a trade any way you slice that trade. Cry me a river over Forsling already..... I think Eddi Lack has a taco truck now. Jason Garrison, the fact JB got a second for that bum is amazing. Hansen Burrows deals were triumphant though they were 2 of my favorite Canucks their time was up. Goldobin is the iron maiden eventually some of those are going to go post and in and if we're being real outside or Pete in a vacuum he is the best playmaker on the team he deserves more leash the Russian treatment in Van is wearing stale.  There is literally nothing of value on that out list other than a couple pics. I'm pretty ok with the list when looking at it.

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Last October, would you have guessed that this roster would suffer lengthy, key injuries to several key players? I did. 

What about the season before? I did.

... Etc. 

Injuries, key injuries, have been a predictable, thus manageable, aspect of this team’s success. No doubt about it. 

:picard:  again?

Because we are a poor, rebuilding team that lacks puck possession.

Notice that the injury list is almost exclusively high dzone starts, PK, matchup players? Funny that.

Notice that those same players were healthy before coming here/us being a rebuild team that required high match up player use.

Sutter was damn near an iron man before coming here. Tanev was nicknamed Gumby for his ability to take abuse when we were a playoff team.

It's the circumstance, not the personnel (with a pinch of scheduling, travel, bad luck etc).

The way this gets 'fixed' is continuing to rebuild and becoming a better team that's less reliant on its hard minute, matchup players and can reduce their minutes and wear and tear.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

You are right we should have kept Kelser and signed him to that atrocious contract. Fire Benning

I sense your tongue in cheeckiness

Which is kind of funny cuz you sig includes Hamhius and Dorsett

Hamhius is an example of botched TDL  and sell low (give away)

and Dorsett is an example of predictable injury. (see 189 above)

Here is a question, do you think Hutton would have developed better playing beside Hamhius for the last 3 years?

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

:picard:  again?

Because we are a poor, rebuilding team that lacks puck possession.

Notice that the injury list is almost exclusively high dzone starts, PK, matchup players? Funny that.

Notice that those same players were healthy before coming here/us being a rebuild team that required high match up player use.

Sutter was damn near an iron man before coming here. Tanev was nicknamed Gumby for his ability to take abuse when we were a playoff team.

It's the circumstance, not the personnel (with a pinch of scheduling, travel, bad luck etc).

The way this gets 'fixed' is continuing to rebuild and becoming a better team that's less reliant on its hard minute, matchup players and can reduce their minutes and wear and tear.

what about Baertschi and Petey?

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

what about Baertschi and Petey?

What about them? Baer's have largely been unlucky/dirty plays. How's a GM supposed to plan better for a blindside hit to a player's head?

Pettersson has actually been surprisingly resilient and healthy given his age (experience) and size.

And then still, on a future, better, more rebuilt team, with more puck possession, even some of those injuries will reduce as teams will be chasing us rather than vice versa.

13 minutes ago, lmm said:

I sense your tongue in cheeckiness

Which is kind of funny cuz you sig includes Hamhius and Dorsett

Hamhius is an example of botched TDL  and sell low (give away)

and Dorsett is an example of predictable injury. (see 189 above)

Here is a question, do you think Hutton would have developed better playing beside Hamhius for the last 3 years?

Which side of the ice would you play Hutton on?