The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB has thrown away far too many assets - needs to be replaced as GM

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I see a couple posts up from yours a guy who suggested we could have had more picks in the top three rounds by keeping the ones we had.  We did get more picks, but we traded them away.  I don’t see that rational as trolling.  It’s more of a frustration with some fans, who love our team and think we could be better if we kept our picks.  JB has proven to be excellent at the draft, so why not keep the picks?

If there is a troll here it is this one. It is strong in this one. His father was one and his sister is one.

I think he is about 12.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

@Generational.EP40 Without Benning then you don't have your name. Nuff said.

Funny..I was just gonna post a similar comment, then scrolled to see you've covered that nicely.

This poster is replying at a furious pace to support such negativity.

Glad they re-signed JB late last season. On drafting alone, he's sure earned it.

• Like 1

Canucks management had a strategy to target young roster players other teams were willing to give up on.  A lot of these players were always going to be long shots.  If even one out of four of these types of acquired players worked out it should be considered a success, not a failure.  I think one out of the four has worked out and as a Canucks fan I've liked the strategy.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So you focus on the misses, but not the hits. 

Benning took over a team with 3 players from the Gillis era.

Horvat, Hutton and Gaunce.

The cupboard was bare, and you couldn't just trade away the Sedin's and Edler because Gillis gave out NTC's like business cards. 

Benning had no choice on Kesler, he wanted out and was only willing to go to one team. 

Did he make mistakes? Yes. EVERY GM makes mistakes. 

He's a least drafting NHL calibre players. He's getting 5th rounders to turn into NHLer's. 

He's at least not trading 2nd round picks in vain attempts to make the playoffs. 

Besides, why would Yzerman want to come here? Sounds like the only other place he'd want to go is Detroit. 

Maybe get together with The Guardian so you can both whine about Benning. 

Don't bring logic into this...lol

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

1.) not saying to get ride of him entirely, just at the managerial level as he undoubtably has restocked the prospect cupboard for us which can’t be denied

2.) should retain some sort of position, preferably something like president or VP of hockey operations to overlook things and continue sharing his expertise when it comes to drafting/prospects

3.) so why should he step down / be replaced as GM? Let’s look:

That’s shocking. We have almost nothing of significance to show for over JB 5 year tenure.

...it’s no surprise we hired a newbie GM at the time. This critical transition phase the organization is in, we can’t be allowing this much trial&error with the scarce assets we have to work with in the first place. 

On top of the asset inefficiency, his inexperience as manager has been evident with the signings as well. Overpaying & giving extended years to questionable players, just unnecessary. All it’s done is become dead weight which can’t be moved and will anchor the roster in the years ahead.

That manager inexperience? To continue, he hasn’t been able to commit to a plan or vision since day1. A rebuild was clear as day but the R word was never uttered until Linden became president. Prior to that he dodged it like the plague and would never admit it. Thought he could fast track by trading picks in the beginning when those picks could’ve been paying dividends for us right now. Too much flip flopping between ideologies. Remember “meat & potatoes”? That died shortly but then he couldn’t fully let it go either as evident by drafting Virtanen coming off a major surgery...he just couldn’t help himself. Even now, we struck gold with EP. Rebuild was endorsed but now that we got lucky and EP has fast forwarded that timeline, he thinks we can fight for a playoff(WC) spot. The man can’t help himself and begins jumping the gun too easily, can’t stay focused on the mission. 

Just far too much indecisiveness and it’s fair to say we’ve seen enough. Let’s get a proven GM who can be relied on to stay the course, not get ahead of himself, and let the nature of the rebuild take place organically while JB overlooks the draft aspect. I think that would be best for all parties. Stack up on maximum assets, get a cap structure going, get rid of bad contracts in this vital transition phase when we will shortly but surely be on the rise. Hypothetically, targeting an Yzerman or someone along those lines as GM+President would be ideal. 

Thoughts?

EDIT

summed up:

> JB pro: drafting

> JB cons: everything else about GMing (trades, signings, vision, commitment) 

> get someone who is better than Jimbo at the cons 

> keep Jimbo for the pro(prospects), just in a different/special role AKA I’m not saying cut him loose entirely

Lol your out players are all dead wood or retired get a life or a brain

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, the impatience of fans sometimes baffles me. It's like they expect a GM to be perfect in every aspect and turn a team from a bottom feeder to a contender in 2 years. Jimbo has made some mistakes, but you have to be really turning a blind eye not to see how drastically our future has turned around with him and Brackett at the helm.

We've been bottom feeders for 6 years, this is the 6th. 

• Cheers 1

Over half of the net assets are good pieces.

Pearson, Leivo, Motte, Granlund, Sutter, Baertschi, and picks.

Yes, there's an indifference of numbers with what went out, but hardly anything of significance other than Kesler, but we all know that situation.

It's a meh argument IMO considering this is his first job as GM. I'm not expecting him to be a master trader.

Just build through the draft, that's GMJB's strength.

So if anything, I would criticize that he hasn't traded for more picks, but I still like those returns listed above (2nd line).

10 minutes ago, Cup2022 said:

Lol your out players are all dead wood or retired get a life or a brain

That is a really good point...….I wonder what the picks did...…..I know Calgary's for Baertschi turned into Anderson...…..but I think you won that one overall.....

But his list is incomplete. 

Edited by janisahockeynut

so far so good, only thing I would like to see the team do is get 2 good D men this off season with trades or signings

next year figure the D out as we have great goalies, now need to fix the D as that is the only way to sin in the NHL

46 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Glad they re-signed JB late last season. On drafting alone, he's sure earned it.

No GM is perfect like I have mentioned, but if fans want to turn a blind eye to the Eriksson, Schaller and Gagner signings all of which combine for 11m in literal dead cap space.

Let not forget he drafted Forsling and McCann, but traded both very quickly...our return on those trades is quite dissmal. Yet they are both contributing at the NHL at young ages.

He has made some decent trades, Granny was good and had 1 solid year offensively. Sven is a good trade too, just sucks he has had so many concussions lets hope he bounces back next year.

His 2 top 6 picks who havent lived up to their draft selection so far compared to their close draftee counterparts are Juolevi and Virtanen...

Juolevi- hope he can turn out, still young just bitten by injuries like Ryan Murray was early. Lets hope he can make the team next fall.

Virtanen- drafted as a LW, never really given a shot to play that position for some reason. Also he needs to be a staple in our top 6 to try get the most out of that high a pick

Lots of hype on some prospects- key word is prospects, jumping from junior or college even to the AHL let alone the NHL is a big jump...many players struggle with that. So some of his recent picks people are raving about are still going to need time before they can maybe make an impact at the NHL level.

All in all, JB can be retained but I see no reason why we cant find someone else to take on the GM duties. One big fault I have for JB is his lack of making a bold trade and being unable or unwilling to make a big trade or decision that will impact our D core. We have ridden with the same guys, our D is horrendous even with Tanev and Edler yet we ride the same group and thankfully Marky has stood on his head this year otherwise the D would be under even more scrutiny.

I would like to see some changes with the coaches, keep Green but influence his line up a bit more imo. Get rid of Brown, our PP is a mess. Our D is a mess and baumgartner should have never been brought up to the NHL as a coach imo. They should have let him be a head coach in Utica and marinate his coaching down their. It is on the GM to fix the coaching issues, they should have never given Green an option to bring in his own coach. Guessing that was the case with Baumer.

GM JB eventually will be on the chopping block, you can only make so many bad signings, trades and coaching moves before your name comes up as being on the hot seat. He has had 4 whole years to fix this team, our D is a mess, we lack scoring winger or any kind of team grit and have seen our young guys become targets each year for dirty uncalled for hits that have lead to injury.

Anytime a player, coach or person on the Canucks gets called out on here there will always be people who support them saying they are doing a good job. I am surprised how much homerism there is to JB. 2 of his top 6 picks are iffy at best right now. A very slight small fast offensive D man is going to show great flashes and mobility but he will always have issues in his own end imo as a small D who is hailed as being a top pairing D who is franchise altering. 

Time will tell GM JB but I dont think your leash is super long as GM of the Canucks. Probably got 1 full year left, and 1 Massive off season ahead of you...best of luck, hope you can prove me wrong but I dont think your the right guy to make the necessary moves to bring the cup to Vancouver

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

No GM is perfect like I have mentioned, but if fans want to turn a blind eye to the Eriksson, Schaller and Gagner signings all of which combine for 11m in literal dead cap space.

Let not forget he drafted Forsling and McCann, but traded both very quickly...our return on those trades is quite dissmal. Yet they are both contributing at the NHL at young ages.

He has made some decent trades, Granny was good and had 1 solid year offensively. Sven is a good trade too, just sucks he has had so many concussions lets hope he bounces back next year.

His 2 top 6 picks who havent lived up to their draft selection so far compared to their close draftee counterparts are Juolevi and Virtanen...

Juolevi- hope he can turn out, still young just bitten by injuries like Ryan Murray was early. Lets hope he can make the team next fall.

Virtanen- drafted as a LW, never really given a shot to play that position for some reason. Also he needs to be a staple in our top 6 to try get the most out of that high a pick

Lots of hype on some prospects- key word is prospects, jumping from junior or college even to the AHL let alone the NHL is a big jump...many players struggle with that. So some of his recent picks people are raving about are still going to need time before they can maybe make an impact at the NHL level.

All in all, JB can be retained but I see no reason why we cant find someone else to take on the GM duties. One big fault I have for JB is his lack of making a bold trade and being unable or unwilling to make a big trade or decision that will impact our D core. We have ridden with the same guys, our D is horrendous even with Tanev and Edler yet we ride the same group and thankfully Marky has stood on his head this year otherwise the D would be under even more scrutiny.

I would like to see some changes with the coaches, keep Green but influence his line up a bit more imo. Get rid of Brown, our PP is a mess. Our D is a mess and baumgartner should have never been brought up to the NHL as a coach imo. They should have let him be a head coach in Utica and marinate his coaching down their. It is on the GM to fix the coaching issues, they should have never given Green an option to bring in his own coach. Guessing that was the case with Baumer.

GM JB eventually will be on the chopping block, you can only make so many bad signings, trades and coaching moves before your name comes up as being on the hot seat. He has had 4 whole years to fix this team, our D is a mess, we lack scoring winger or any kind of team grit and have seen our young guys become targets each year for dirty uncalled for hits that have lead to injury.

Anytime a player, coach or person on the Canucks gets called out on here there will always be people who support them saying they are doing a good job. I am surprised how much homerism there is to JB. 2 of his top 6 picks are iffy at best right now. A very slight small fast offensive D man is going to show great flashes and mobility but he will always have issues in his own end imo as a small D who is hailed as being a top pairing D who is franchise altering. 

Time will tell GM JB but I dont think your leash is super long as GM of the Canucks. Probably got 1 full year left, and 1 Massive off season ahead of you...best of luck, hope you can prove me wrong but I dont think your the right guy to make the necessary moves to bring the cup to Vancouver

Find me a gm that has hit on there last six first round picks any gm and better yet a gm that has hit a player like EP at five Brock at twenty one and Hughes at seven

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Forsling, five years later, still hasn't established himself as an NHL regular with only 33 games this year. McCann was just traded. along with Bjugstad, for the hefty return of a 2nd round pick and two 4th rounders that came with a pair of cap dump pending ufa's. If those moves are considered Benning's 'big' trade mistakes we're in good shape.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

If there is a troll here it is this one. It is strong in this one. His father was one and his sister is one.

I think he is about 12.

You think he’s not a fan of our team, and he’s playing us?

I really hate other teams’ fans cutting down our team, while saying theirs is so great.

• Upvote 1

He got the job by telling his employer he could rebuild on the fly while remaining competitive. You can’t just say that and not take actions. Trying to find talent in the wrong places by trading for waiver fodders not given a real shot. The only thing Benning has done poorly is these last few rebuild years his inability to move out the vets for more picks and prospects.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

He got the job by telling his employer he could rebuild on the fly while remaining competitive. You can’t just say that and not take actions. Trying to find talent in the wrong places by trading for waiver fodders not given a real shot. The only thing Benning has done poorly is these last few rebuild years his inability to move out the vets for more picks and prospects.

Other than Tanev, which vets?

7 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

1.) not saying to get ride of him entirely, just at the managerial level as he undoubtably has restocked the prospect cupboard for us which can’t be denied

2.) should retain some sort of position, preferably something like president or VP of hockey operations to overlook things and continue sharing his expertise when it comes to drafting/prospects

3.) so why should he step down / be replaced as GM? Let’s look:

That’s shocking. We have almost nothing of significance to show for over JB 5 year tenure.

...it’s no surprise we hired a newbie GM at the time. This critical transition phase the organization is in, we can’t be allowing this much trial&error with the scarce assets we have to work with in the first place. 

On top of the asset inefficiency, his inexperience as manager has been evident with the signings as well. Overpaying & giving extended years to questionable players, just unnecessary. All it’s done is become dead weight which can’t be moved and will anchor the roster in the years ahead.

That manager inexperience? To continue, he hasn’t been able to commit to a plan or vision since day1. A rebuild was clear as day but the R word was never uttered until Linden became president. Prior to that he dodged it like the plague and would never admit it. Thought he could fast track by trading picks in the beginning when those picks could’ve been paying dividends for us right now. Too much flip flopping between ideologies. Remember “meat & potatoes”? That died shortly but then he couldn’t fully let it go either as evident by drafting Virtanen coming off a major surgery...he just couldn’t help himself. Even now, we struck gold with EP. Rebuild was endorsed but now that we got lucky and EP has fast forwarded that timeline, he thinks we can fight for a playoff(WC) spot. The man can’t help himself and begins jumping the gun too easily, can’t stay focused on the mission. 

Just far too much indecisiveness and it’s fair to say we’ve seen enough. Let’s get a proven GM who can be relied on to stay the course, not get ahead of himself, and let the nature of the rebuild take place organically while JB overlooks the draft aspect. I think that would be best for all parties. Stack up on maximum assets, get a cap structure going, get rid of bad contracts in this vital transition phase when we will shortly but surely be on the rise. Hypothetically, targeting an Yzerman or someone along those lines as GM+President would be ideal. 

Thoughts?

EDIT

summed up:

> JB pro: drafting

> JB cons: everything else about GMing (trades, signings, vision, commitment) 

> get someone who is better than Jimbo at the cons 

> keep Jimbo for the pro(prospects), just in a different/special role AKA I’m not saying cut him loose entirely

What is on your "out" list that you would love to have on the roster right now, other than maybe Forsling and a couple of 2nds.  

I think he has done a very good job rebuilding this team, not great, but very good.  Rebuilds take time.  We have young guys like EP, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Joulevi, Gaudette who will all be on the team next year, a bunch of guys knocking on the door the year after that, a high draft pick coming this year, and a ton of cap space .  Rebuilds take time, we are in very good shape.

I do appreciate your well thought out post though, nice work.

• Cheers 1