The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Edm/Van

Here is my crazy proposal of the day;

Edmonton wants fix some holes on their team and compete while Mcdavid is in his prime. We need to add to our prospect depth and get more picks at this draft. We also don't want Seattle taking Demko from us. 

To Edmonton:

Jacob Markstrom starting Goalie

Brandon Sutter C (upgrade over Sam Gagner) 

Nikolay Goldobin  LW/RW

Tim Schaller LW

To Vancouver:

Jesse Puljujarvi RW

Milan Lucic LW

Ethan Bear RD

2019 2nd 38th overall 

Edmonton solves its goaltending issues by acquiring an elite number 1 starter in Jacob Markstrom, a solid bottom 6 C in Sutter who is an upgrade over Gagner, and a cheap potential top 6 winger in Goldobin who could use a change in scenery. Schaller who is basically an extra body to challenge for a spot or fill in for injuries. They also get more cap space by moving Lucic. 

Canucks add a potential top line winger with size in Puljujarvi who could use a change in scenery, a bottom 6 player who can win fights in Lucic and might even be able to fit on a line with Pettersson and Boeser, a decent looking right shot defence prospect, and the 38th pick at the 2019 draft which looks to be a really deep draft. 

Thats it.... go ahead and rip away CDC 

Markstrom wants to be here and has finally turned a corner and become a great goaltender. I prefer not to trade such a player to a division rival. Sutter, I'd be fine with trading away, and the same with Schaller. Goldobin may still have that other gear.

Puljujarvi, while an enticing prospect, is hasn't proven anything at the NHL level, and may not. Lucic is too slow for the game now, and even though he's a pugilistic weapon, the cost is far too high. Ethan Bear is a middling defenseman who the Canucks don't need considering their growing depth in the minors.

As @mll mentioned, Edmonton has a lot of money committed to their goaltending and won't be taking on another goalie.  

I actually believe that adding Sutter and Tanev would put them over the top though where they become a contender.  Tanev on their 2nd pairing and Sutter on their shutdown line would probably allow them to play something closer to a full season and stay healthier.  

It would be a win-win except for the fact that we'd be aiding a future perennial contender right in our own backyard. 

Stay the course, build through the draft.

As proven in the last round, we can work out ways to protect our assets in the ED if necessary.  It's a long way away and much can happen in the meantime - patience people.   

There’s no reason not to add a proposal thread, they are fun to read and think about.  However anything but very minor trades are ever really traded to division rivals, Kesler was an outlier given he was running the bus as that was the best deal available.  Markstrom could be traded, IF there is a return worth it, but not to any team in our division.  Goldobin would be a possibility...maybe Sutter but doubtful anyone would want him with that cap hit and his injuries.   

Look for an Eastern team that needs help with goaltending or a Tanev like guy.  TO is often mentioned for a Tanev as it just makes sense, it’s what they need help with (shot suppression).  PHI for goaltending, but is Markstrom an upgrade on Talbot?  Debatable.  And Hart is their guy.  Tactically Markstrom should be traded as we will lose him in the Vegas draft anyways (if he keeps playing this way) and protecting two goalies comes at too high of a cost.  We’d lose a very good prospect or a JV type possibly.  Thanks for posting though (OP).  I wouldn’t do this trade.

39 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Edmonton solves its goaltending issues by acquiring an elite number 1 starter in Jacob Markstrom

I like the guy, but it's a stretch to call him 'elite'.  Not with a 2.77 GAA and 0.912 Save percentage.

Plus, he's essentially a rental as he is going into the final year of his contract, then he will be UFA.

as the kids say, "wut?"

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here by giving away Marky for an unproven d prospect. 

If we wanted Lucic we could probably have him with Puljujarvi thrown in as the sweetener just for Sutter. 

Lucic:

1. We do not need a 7 million dollar pugilist. Much better bang for buck exists in the league and we are better off finding a random MMA wannabe from Vancouver and teaching him how to skate over getting Lucic for the same role.

2. Lucic potentially blending with Petey and Brock ? Only way that happens is if we are playing mud hockey in a swamp inhabited by tentacle monsters. On ice, petey and Brock will have time to skate to the opposition blue-line, light a cigarette and smoke it half-way before Lucic catches up to them. 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Stay the course, build through the draft.

As proven in the last round, we can work out ways to protect our assets in the ED if necessary.  It's a long way away and much can happen in the meantime - patience people.   

So if I understand correctly, you’re saying that we should stay the course and build through the draft?

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Here is my crazy proposal of the day;

Edmonton wants fix some holes on their team and compete while Mcdavid is in his prime. We need to add to our prospect depth and get more picks at this draft. We also don't want Seattle taking Demko from us. 

To Edmonton:

Jacob Markstrom starting Goalie

Brandon Sutter C (upgrade over Sam Gagner) 

Nikolay Goldobin  LW/RW

Tim Schaller LW

To Vancouver:

Jesse Puljujarvi RW

Milan Lucic LW

Ethan Bear RD

2019 2nd 38th overall 

I do not think it is crazy Jr

I  like posts that start conversation...this one is no different

Not the greatest, and I think you give up too much

But I do agree you are saving the right goalie, long term

I also agree with the other poster who thinks they do not need Markstrom either

But I do think there is a trade there somewhere, where we trade with Edmonton

Personally, Lucic is such an Albatross for them.....it kills their rebuild

but truthfully, it is no different than having Eriksson, so I really wonder if that is it or not.

More importantly, from what I read......they think he is the problem.....again, I am not sure about that.

Any which way you look at it though...…..for Edmonton to get rid of Lucic, it should have to hurt bad

Which your proposal doesn't do, as a matter of fact, I would say you were trying to be nice

Again....to get rid of Lucic it should have to hurt, which they are not prepared to do

So, don't be doing them any favours...…...

We give up too many assets.  They don't need Markstrom (we could use him still), and while we don't need Sutter with Gaudette and Beagle, we'd be helping them out if he ever managed to stay healthy.  Goldobin could rebound if given the right opportunity and we'd lose pretty badly.  Schaller could also help as a depth guy.  

Meanwhile Jesse's not a fit for them, Lucic is a dead weight, Bear is depth and a 2nd is a 2nd.   

If we keep Markie and flip him for an actual return I wouldn't mind Sutter and Goldie for Jesse, Bear and the 2nd.  Would also be down to swap in Jim's nephew Matt in place of Bear but adding Looch just makes it a downright loss.

Archived