The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Horvat to Colorado

Although that is a very good return, Bo is an untouchable.

It would take this kinda deal for Benning to not just hang up the phone. 

To be clear, the offer is Horvat for two firsts and Jost right? So we keep our 10th?

Horvat is worth more then just a 4th overall pick, but not as much as 4th, 16th and Jost.  

Kane, Pietrangelo, Rienhart, Johansen, Seth Jones, Sam Bennet, Marner, Puljarvi, Backstrom, Thomas Hickey, Benoit Pouliot, Andrew Ladd 

Those are some 4th overall picks....  Bo Horvat is worth much more then the average 4th overall pick. 

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

Although that is a very good return, Bo is an untouchable.

It would take this kinda deal for Benning to not just hang up the phone. 

To be clear, the offer is Horvat for two firsts and Jost right? So we keep our 10th?

Yes my proposal was that we keep our 10th, giving us three picks in the top sixteen.

6 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I’ve been reading some of the Colorado fan forums and it is generally considered that the Avalanche need a good second line centre to progress to the next level and become a Stanley Cup contender. Bo Horvat has been suggested as the perfect type to be a trade target.

Given the fact that they already have a good young lineup the Avalanche may be in a position to give up their draft picks in order to try and win now.

My proposal:

To Colorado:

Bo Horvat

To Vancouver:

Colorado 1st Round Pick 2019 (4th Overall)

Colorado 1st Round Pick 2019 (16th Overall)

Tyson Jost

This deal would be contingent on Bowen Byram still being available at number four. It would give the Canucks three picks in the top sixteen of a deep draft and accelerate their rebuild. Jost may turn into our second line centre one day. They could even throw in pieces like Goldobin or Hutton to sweeten the deal.

Okay all you Bo lovers let me have it !

This is a trade that if COL came knocking with would be foolish to not take.   And it actually makes sense for COL to consider as well, rather than wait three or four years for whomever they pick this year to establish themselves they’d have a key piece to take advantage of while McKinnon and Rantanen are in their prime.  We’d probably have to add (Goldobin or Hutton). 

Dont think it would ever happen as the optics look bad (trading our future captain), but from a pure rebuild viewpoint it makes a lot of sense.  Horvat will be close to becoming a UFA before this teams ready to compete, it would make Boeser our elder core member and if we sign him for eight years we’d have plenty of time to take advantage of it.  It would sort out defense out (Byram), add another young guy that could become a good second liner in Jost and we still have Sutter and AG.    The 10th could also be used for a Center (there are loads of them this draft) and the 16th a winger for the top six. 

One of the better trade proposals I’ve seen in a long time.  It would suck to lose Horvat, but these are the type of hard decisions that make a team great.

• Upvote 1

Whether the OP's value is fair or not its a BIG NO for me - Horvat is the kinda guy you win cups with. Very hard player to replace and he is something we have been lacking for so long. I perosnally think he is a huge piece in the rebuild and as others have pointed out he has risen above what his expected talent level was supposed to be.

That's a tough trade. 

First round picks are a crapshoot in general outside of the top 1 or 2 players... look at the Oilers... puljijarvi

Having a bonafide NHL player in horvat who is in the top of the league in faceoffs while contributing offense, tough to find combo, it worth a lot to an nhl team.

I would say the trade has value to certain teams... Colorado having two first rounders might be a team that fits the bill.

That being said... I  the end I want horvat to help lead us to a cup not Colorado. I wouldn't trade a winner for anything... and bo is a winner baby.

C73

On 5/11/2019 at 2:26 AM, Schmautzie said:

I’ve been reading some of the Colorado fan forums and it is generally considered that the Avalanche need a good second line centre to progress to the next level and become a Stanley Cup contender. Bo Horvat has been suggested as the perfect type to be a trade target.

Given the fact that they already have a good young lineup the Avalanche may be in a position to give up their draft picks in order to try and win now.

My proposal:

To Colorado:

Bo Horvat

To Vancouver:

Colorado 1st Round Pick 2019 (4th Overall)

Colorado 1st Round Pick 2019 (16th Overall)

Tyson Jost

This deal would be contingent on Bowen Byram still being available at number four. It would give the Canucks three picks in the top sixteen of a deep draft and accelerate their rebuild. Jost may turn into our second line centre one day. They could even throw in pieces like Goldobin or Hutton to sweeten the deal.

Okay all you Bo lovers let me have it !

It’s not the worst idea in the world on paper, but this trade would make too many locals upset, and its the type of deal that could really rub the boy’s in the lockerroom the wrong way.   It sets too much of a bad precedent (ie if you work hard, do all of the right things, become a leader in the lockerroom, etc, management will knife you in the back and move you).   Some deals, even if they’re somewhat decent on paper, you just don’t do.  See Gretzky Wayne 1988.

Horvat’s the type of guy that you win with.  Period.  He’ll score for you, hit for you, stick up for teammates, take up defensive responsibilities if Sutter breaks a finger nail and is out for 10 weeks, etc.   

If this was two years ago, I’d possibly consider doing something like this, but the Canucks are slightly above the ground floor rebuild stage now.    The Canucks have an established young core now, and so their goal should be to find players to complement their young core of Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Markstrom, and Hughes.  

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Cheers 2

Can you imagine the Canucks walking away from the draft with...#4  either Byram or Turcotee

#16  either Newhook or Soderstrom

and Canucks #10   either Krebs or Seider

Let's just say... Byram, Newhook, Seider and Jost for Horvat.                                                                                                                   

If JB turns that down to keep Bo, he regrets it for the rest of his career (which becomes shortened by rejecting it).

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Can you imagine the Canucks walking away from the draft with...#4  either Byram or Turcotee

#16  either Newhook or Soderstrom

and Canucks #10   either Krebs or Seider

Let's just say... Byram, Newhook, Seider and Jost for Horvat.                                                                                                                   

If JB turns that down to keep Bo, he regrets it for the rest of his career (which becomes shortened by rejecting it).

The strength of this draft and the potential acceleration of the  rebuild is exactly the reason I suggested  this trade.

The Canucks need three or four more blue chip prospects in order to be legitimate contenders and this deal would provide them. Colorado could use Bo in his prime to contend for the Cup right away.

Having said that I agree that trading Bo would create too much angst among the fan base and it will never happen.

I'd do it the deal would net us Byram + Kaliyev/Sieder + Jost and a likely very high chance at Lafrenerie. 

We draft Podkolzin/Newhook with our 10th.

Ya our rebuild set set back 2 years it probably gets set to where it should be. 

3 1sts is a hefty price I doubt they would do it. 

It would be a bold trade that's for sure. GMs do this kind of trade when they come up and it would certainly be selling high on Bo. Would I want to do it....no. Do I think it could work out....my chrystal ball is in the shop but I would do it. These players know it's a business so I can's see them getting too bent out of shape over it. Would probably be something that motivates Bo even more and he'd beast on us whenever he played Vancouver. Glad I'm not the GM!

I would do this, but i know sentimentally Bo is our "guy" and dont want to see him traded, but a deal like this nets more blue chip prospects and that cant be ignored. It sets the team back a little bit, but it moves it forward much much more in a few years. I dont think Byram will be there at 4, but take Turcotte at 4, Krebs at 10 and BPA at 16 , plus you add Jost as well. I dont think its an offer that can be refused. Like i said, it wouldnt be popular, but you have to think with your head, not your heart on this one. 

I would do the same if NJDs offered us the same package for QH in next years draft too! 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:54 PM, NUCKER67 said:

It would be more like:

to COL: Horvat and #10

to VAN - #4

LOL 

Bo would get you a heck of a lot more than that. Hutton,  Horvat, Markstrom  for that package for Col's  two firsts would get it done.