The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks getting Breadman & Pernell-Karl

Similar proposal to my last one where we get Karlsson+Kessel except with a different twist.

To Vancouver:

PK Subban [$9M]

To Nashville:

10th overall

^we make a draft day splash and then go on to sign Panarin in FA for give or take $11m, creating 2 dynamic forward duos on both top lines. 

TOP 6F

Panarin • Petey • Roussel (police the other 2)

Pearson • Horvat • Boeser

TOP 4D

Edler • Subban

Hughes • Tanev

...begin competing for the playoffs/newest upcoming SC contenders as soon as next season. Get some buzz going and boost up the rebuild into the transition phase where we begin rising.

Edited by Generational.EP40

I think it costs more than 10th overall. I know PK makes more than the average fan can stomach, but he’s still a top pairing Dmen in my eyes. I believe Poile thinks the same. Might have to add a prospect like Juolevi to get it done, but I think it would be worth it. PK would make our defense exponentially better.

Edited by Blue Jay 22

4 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I think it costs more than 10th overall. I know PK makes more than the average fan can stomach, but he’s still a top pairing Dmen in my eyes. I believe Poile thinks the same. Might have to add a prospect like Juolevi to get it done, but I think it would be worth it. PK would make our defense exponentially better.

3 years ago maybe.  

He's coming off a 31 point year. Two lotto picks and take over his cap hit?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

3 years ago maybe.  

He's coming off a 31 point year. Two lotto picks and take over his cap hit?

He’s a season removed from 59 points.  He battled injuries last season. I font think his value can be based JUST  on his 31 point season this year.  

47 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He’s a season removed from 59 points.  He battled injuries last season. I font think his value can be based JUST  on his 31 point season this year.  

I think you just nailed it.

PK’s value isn’t at a premium because of this nor is it underwhelmingly below its usual bar as some people think. I think it’s cut right down the middle. 

...people know he had a bad season but it doesn’t mean it’s his standards by any means. Everyone knows what he’s capable of so this season was certainly the exception and not the norm. However because he’s up their in age, has that high salary, Preds are in a cap crunch, and need to move a dman prior to the Seattle expansion draft so they don’t lose one of their quality dmen for no reason...combined with his 1-off season he just had, it puts his value down where he still won’t come by cheap but it’s not as high as it otherwise would have been.

A hockey deal like this, quality for quality, 1 for 1, for the most part should get a deal done. Whether it be for a top10 pick or a top NHL ready prospect, it’s really up to the Preds to decide. Regardless of if they want to contend or not, Canucks pick would be enticing. If they want to still try to win, could flip the pick for a quality NHL player in a position of need who’s cheaper than Subban. If they’re content keeping the pick, then that’s self explanatory as there’s quite the depth this draft to have a handful of options to pick from come 10th overall. Imo, 10th + Juolevi would have done it last year but not this year and considering the circumstance the Preds are in. Because of that, I can see 10 being very much on the money. Sort of like when we dealt Schneider for the Devils pick 1-for-1 :) 

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

This personality stuff is blown waaaaaaay out of proportion. Is he energetic? Yes. Does he have passion for the game? Yes. Do those mean he has personality issues? Absolutely not. 

With a young, growing team, I believe character, humility & cap-balance are bigger factors than most fans appreciate.

As posted the other day, didn't like the contrast in team reactions when both PK & SW had their homecomings. Saw that as telling.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Similar proposal to my last one where we get Karlsson+Kessel except with a different twist.

To Vancouver:

PK Subban [$9M]

To Nashville:

10th overall

^we make a draft day splash and then go on to sign Panarin in FA for give or take $11m, creating 2 dynamic forward duos on both top lines. 

TOP 6F

TOP 4D

Edler • Subban

Hughes • Tanev

...begin competing for the playoffs/newest upcoming SC contenders as soon as next season. Get some buzz going and boost up the rebuild into the transition phase where we begin rising.

No thanks to PK.

We are not trading our 10th pick as the draft is in Vancouver.

Rather try to get another pick in the first round!

3 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

To Vancouver:

PK Subban [$9M]

To Nashville:

10th overall

TOP 6F

TOP 4D

Edler • Subban

Hughes • Tanev

The Canucks can do the above (in theory) and land both Subban and Panarin, but they would have to be very aware of the pros and cons.   

The pros = short term push for a cup.

The cons = significant decrease in the teams’ window.   The Canucks would have two years (if that) to try and win a cup before Pettersson’s new contract would kick in.

If the goal is to win one cup, then sure......this might be an option to explore.

If the goal is to be the next Chicago or Detroit however, then I don’t think this would be the way to go.

7 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

To Vancouver:

PK Subban [$9M]

To Nashville:

10th overall

TOP 6F

TOP 4D

Edler • Subban

Hughes • Tanev

Nashville's window is now and that pick is several years away from the NHL.   Nashville has no one major to sign this year - Sissons and Grimaldi are their only RFAs.  They might want to bring back Boyle but these guys aren't going to cost much.

They want to upgrade their Fs and will go after Duchene for sure.  In theory Granlund should have been a great fit but he struggled.  So he could be the one on the move.  The Predators also have no use for Bonino when Sissons is perfectly capable of playing shutdown C.  Smith is one year to free agency.  None of the players have trade clauses so all is open really.

There are just so many more options for them to create cap space before they get to Subban.  He's a top player and they'll want a top player in return.  They are not going to move him just to create cap space when they have other options for that.