The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs shopping Marleau

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

"REPORT. Leafs Shopping Marleau"           I had to reread the title. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me to see a TSN article. "Marleau,  Shopping With The Leafs" Wouldnt surprise me one bit to see a TSN article showing Marleau shopping at the mall with Marner and Mathews. 

Marleau shopping at 50% retained sale stores only

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This guys needs to retire. He scored 16 goals last year while playing all 82 games. He is 39yrs old and it shows. Any team that gets him will be doing a disservice to their prospects by allowing this guy to take up a spot.

That's all fine and well but Patrick has 6 million reasons to play next season and a legal contract saying he can.

19 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This guys needs to retire. He scored 16 goals last year while playing all 82 games. He is 39yrs old and it shows. Any team that gets him will be doing a disservice to their prospects by allowing this guy to take up a spot.

And if he retires the team still gets the cap hit so might as well play him.

13 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That's all fine and well but Patrick has 6 million reasons to play next season and a legal contract saying he can.

Yup, he reminds me of someone else on the Canucks that carries the same cap hit. Sad thing is he is done and only 33yrs old :sadno:

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

And if he retires the team still gets the cap hit so might as well play him.

Actually if he retired his deal would be cheap to move (ie Datsyuk to Arizona). Cap floor teams dont mind taking cap at all if they dont have to foot the bill.

It is always amusing to hear the Toronto based media with no perspective talking about Leafs stuff.

Just heard a pundit say it would only take a 3rd rounder or less to get rid of Marleau’s contract.  

Not many teams are keen on taking on a $6 million dollar 4th liner, and even fewer on teams he would accept a trade to.  It is pretty clear he wants to be close to California if all the reports are right.  That leaves 1-4 options and those teams aren’t going to give the Leafs a gift for no return.

Marleau is still a decent player... just not worth $6 million.

37 points last season and 47 the year before would indicate that he still has something to give.

One thing is for sure, he is definitely durable.  Hasn't missed a game since Mats Sundin was still around.  

Would I want him on the Canucks?  Yes... only if the TML gives up some nice prospects or picks to go along with him.  

Imagine him playing alongside Pettersson and Boeser.  Would be kind of like when Vanek was around.... like who would the opposition focus on more?  The young guns... or the still speedy veteran that has potted 500+ goals in the NHL?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Marleau is still a decent player... just not worth $6 million.

37 points last season and 47 the year before would indicate that he still has something to give.

One thing is for sure, he is definitely durable.  Hasn't missed a game since Mats Sundin was still around.  

Would I want him on the Canucks?  Yes... only if the TML gives up some nice prospects or picks to go along with him.  

Imagine him playing alongside Pettersson and Boeser.  Would be kind of like when Vanek was around.... like who would the opposition focus on more?  The young guns... or the still speedy veteran that has potted 500+ goals in the NHL?

but what about thornton ?
won't marleau and him be wanting to pair up again at some new team

which team is going to make room for them both ?

they are almost brothers

so maybe the nucks are the most likely landing spot ? :P

Edited by coastal.view

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

but what about thornton ?
won't marleau and him be wanting to pair up again at some new team

which team is going to make room for them both ?

they are almost brothers

so maybe the nucks are the most likely landing spot ? :P

Marleau (with tasty Maple sweetener), Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Thornton

For one year...I'd do it :lol:

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I don't mind Joe Thornton.... if for whatever reason he wishes to sign a 1-year contract for 1 million.

At 1M the Sharks will find a spot for him.  He hasn't decided yet whether he wants to continue to play or not.  In the past he has said that he would like to finish his career in Davos - he trains there in the off-season.  

17 hours ago, Provost said:

It is always amusing to hear the Toronto based media with no perspective talking about Leafs stuff.

Just heard a pundit say it would only take a 3rd rounder or less to get rid of Marleau’s contract.  

Not many teams are keen on taking on a $6 million dollar 4th liner, and even fewer on teams he would accept a trade to.  It is pretty clear he wants to be close to California if all the reports are right.  That leaves 1-4 options and those teams aren’t going to give the Leafs a gift for no return.

Maple Leafs’ Patrick Marleau selling Toronto house for $11.888M

The home of Toronto Maple Leafsforward Patrick Marleau has been put on the market, the Toronto Star reports, adding more fuel to reports the veteran forward and the team are ready to part ways.

Listed at a whopping $11.888 million, the house features five bedrooms, seven bathrooms, eight fireplaces, a 13-car garage, a hockey room, a pool and backs onto a ravine. The listing also includes a picture of Marleau’s epic backyard hockey rink.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-patrick-marleau-selling-toronto-house-11-888m/

Good lord... Sell the house and retire haha.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:57 PM, kloubek said:

This part of your post I agree on anyway. I see no reason not to try to take on a bad 1 or 2 year contract.  

Marleau + Kapanen

For

Tanev 50% retained

While this only buys Toronto a year, it gives them a top defender at a ridiculously low salary, and wipes 4m salary off the books.  That gives them enough to re-sign Johnsson, and if they move Kadri they should have enough to sign Marner.

It does mean we would need to sign a RD though, and chances are our D becomes even more porous. But on the flip side we have two more options to try out with Horvat and Pearson.

Top defender? If he is a top defender we should be getting more, shouldn't we?

58 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Maple Leafs’ Patrick Marleau selling Toronto house for $11.888M

The home of Toronto Maple Leafsforward Patrick Marleau has been put on the market, the Toronto Star reports, adding more fuel to reports the veteran forward and the team are ready to part ways.

Listed at a whopping $11.888 million, the house features five bedrooms, seven bathrooms, eight fireplaces, a 13-car garage, a hockey room, a pool and backs onto a ravine. The listing also includes a picture of Marleau’s epic backyard hockey rink.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-patrick-marleau-selling-toronto-house-11-888m/

Good lord... Sell the house and retire haha.

Really nice house, just checked it out on the link

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/20762836/5-1-bedroom-single-family-house-113-mildenhall-rd-toronto-bridle-path-sunnybrook-york-mills?utm_source=emailfriend&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=emailsharelisting&utm_content=viewlisting

This place is next level....

50K / year in property taxes and I’m screaming about my 5K! 

Edited by grandmaster

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Top defender on their team....

Only one year of club control and a big injury history, not the most trade value he has ever had...

Unless we had another deal in place for a RD though, it would be Zaitsev coming back as one of the pieces.

Edited by Provost

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I still consider Tanev a top defender. This past season wasnt his finest but that isnt to say a rebound year isnt likely. 

But he isnt worth top dollar due to his injury history, and the single year left on his contract... Not because he hasnt proven himself.

22 hours ago, aGENT said:

Marleau (with tasty Maple sweetener), Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Thornton

For one year...I'd do it :lol:

Kind of like the Sundin signing which turned the Sedins into two of the most professional, upscale franchise players in the history of the game. No doubt they would’ve reached a certain level on their own. But bringing in Sundin was akin to a three month seminar on power life.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Kind of like the Sundin signing which turned the Sedins into two of the most professional, upscale franchise players in the history of the game. No doubt they would’ve reached a certain level on their own. But bringing in Sundin was akin to a three month seminar on power life.

Too bad the Stanley Cup portion of the seminar is missing.

:ph34r:

• Haha 1